Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
I like Pete's Wicked. The flavors are not all that unrelated to Oktoberfest Beers, which I absolutely love (the fall can't come fast enough), even though it is an Ale and not a Lager.

Drinkability is huge with it, it has a good flavor but goes down easy.

I definitely prefer Pete's Wicked over the Standard Sam Adams, which I'm not the biggest fan of.

Standard Sam? hmmm...

well, I wish I could help you guys with these reviews. I have 8 different types of beer in my fridge right now.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

I definitely prefer Pete's Wicked over the Standard Sam Adams, which I'm not the biggest fan of.

I do as well, then again i hate sam adams, so it's not much of a contest for me.

Mendocino's Blue Heron Pale Ale

It pours a slightly dark gold color with a 2 finger white head. Good carbonation and smells just like a pale malt with a bit of lemony hops. Tastes of little malt up against poignant hops and it finishes with a bit of citrus flavor. Pretty darn drinkable, not overly bitter, nice blend for a pale ale. Definitely not my favorite from Mendocino, but not bad.

My Rating: 6

RaiderX with the assist^^
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Brick Double Chocolate Oatmeal Porter

Brewed similar to an Oatmeal Stout, this offering from Atlanta Brewing is a strong Porter offered as a seasonal selection. The beer is moderately hopped, with strong coffee/chocolate notes and a moderate nutty flavor with some sweet hints. The Oatmeal makes this a very smooth beer that goes down very easy, despite the 7.7% ABV.

I like its combination of flavors, it is a tasty beer, being bottle conditioned keeps it fresh and makes each one slightly unique. The chocolate flavor is distinct and notable.

There are notes of hop flavor, which I'm not the biggest fan of with this style, I just think that it is unnecessary, but it is very light.

All in all I loved this beer from the first sip. Very good stuff, and a local beer as well. I've been very impressed with most of the offerings from Red Brick / Atlanta Brewing, I was not expecting such good beer in my backyard, the South isn't exactly known for brewing good beer.

Grade: 8.1

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're up to 45 different beers reviewed that I've linked to in the original post.

Good reviews that give an idea of what the beer is like and a realistic grade are linked to, in addition to my own.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried Sam Adams Summer Ale over the weekend. I was hoping for a good summer ale to break up my normal rotation of blue moon and corona...

but...

I really did not like it - at all. It seemed way to dry and bitter for a summer ale and lacked any sort of fruity notes that I like in summer beers.

I definitely won't buy it again.
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Dog Garde Dog

This spring seasonal offering from Flying Dog is their take on the French style Biere de Garde. I can't speak much for the style, this is the only one of the style that I've ever had. Biere de Garde literally means beer for keeping, and it is traditionally brewed in the winter for drinking in the spring and summer. It sure is interesting. It is a clear golden-amber color. The aroma and initial flavor surge is not all that dissimilar to a Belgian Golden Ale, with a tart fruityness to go along with the sweetness. The beer uses a very distinct and flavorful yeast, much like Belgian beers. That flavor quickly fades to a very long lasting but light nuttyness, but not in the normal nutty flavored beer sense. I can't put my finger on the nut, walnut perhaps, but it is very distinct and lingers on for a very long time (each time I've had one the flavor lingered with me for hours, hard to explain really). It is that slightly sharp nutty flavor like when you first bite into a walnut, but very light.

I must say, each time I've had it (I've had to space them out on different days to really figure this thing out), it has left me intrigued. It is a very drinkable beer and very pleasant to drink, definitely qualifies for a Summer Brew. The flavors are not that strong overall and it mixes well with daytime heat.

It is a kind of bland beer, none of the flavors are really strong, and nothing really stands out. It would be nice for there to be a little more to the flavor. I wish the initial surge of flavor wouldn't die so quickly.

This beer is very odd and intriguing, certainly not bad, but the unusual yet related to normal flavor, and the slightly bland character of it, make it hard to really put your finger on the various parts. It is an enjoyable beer however, and very drinkable, an especially good daytime brew IMO.

Grade - 7.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Titansfan

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question... Is Rolling Rock still about over there? It used to be sold over here and it was really nice but I haven't seen it for ages. Was wondering if it still gets sold in the US..?

Props to JammerHammer on the awesome sig!
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume so. It's probably been more than 10 years since I last had one, they are sold in a part of the beer isle that I tend to ignore, so I couldn't tell you. I don't distinctly remember seeing it lately, then again I wasn't really looking. Rolling Rock is domestic Heineken IMO.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommended it, but didn't review it......until now

Dale's Pale Ale

Brewer: Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery (Lyons, CO)
Style: American Pale Ale

My Review:
Pours a clear deep copper color, with a thick off-white head. Nice scent of malts, pine, bitter citrus, and some floral. Lacing is very nice, and sticks all the way through. Taste is a sweet malt, with heavy pine/citrus hops. Finishes malty, with some of the hops lingering.

Very hoppy, but not over done. My favorite APA, and it's a style I really like. The brewer describes it as somewhere between an APA and IPA, and it fits. You'd have a hard time trying to find a better beer in a can. Only found it on tap at Coors Field. It was great watching an afternoon game, on a Thurs, drinking one of these. The second highest rated APA on ratebeer.com

My Score: 8.5

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
You'd have a hard time trying to find a better beer in a can.

LOL, unless you get their Old Chub Scottish Ale, which I have one of in the fridge, and will do a review on later.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to rate your homebrew Sweet Brown?

How long is that going to take?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
limentani39

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
limentani39 wrote:
i had the best beer ever the other day. its called sweet water. anyone ever had it?

Sweetwater is a brewery, that makes different beers. I have drank many from their brewery.

Which beer did you have?
i think it was blue. whats the best one

Dawg24^^
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limentani39 wrote:
boondock wrote:
limentani39 wrote:
i had the best beer ever the other day. its called sweet water. anyone ever had it?

Sweetwater is a brewery, that makes different beers. I have drank many from their brewery.

Which beer did you have?
i think it was blue. whats the best one

420 or Georgia Brown, IMO.

The brewery tour is a blast if you ever get a chance.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
Are you going to rate your homebrew Sweet Brown?

How long is that going to take?

I can.

Browns are fast. The fermenting has slowed down, I'll rack it into the secondary fermenter on Saturday and give it a week to age a bit and clarify, then bottle it after that (in a week and a half). It takes about a week to develop the carbonation, but it won't really be at it's prime for another 4-5 weeks after that, though I'll drink a few prior to when it hit's its prime (though the character of it will change, it'll probably stay in its prime for 1-2 years).

If it turns out good and I have some left, I'll save a few to bring to TJ's when PS starts so you can give it a try.

5 gallons makes about 2 cases (~50 bottles), so I should have some left by then.

I'm probably going to make another batch of a longer beer when I bottle that one, one that takes more than a week in the secondary like a Vanilla Porter or Belgian Golden (~2 months in the secondary is ideal), so I've got one ready to bottle when I run low.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
I just tried Sam Adams Summer Ale over the weekend. I was hoping for a good summer ale to break up my normal rotation of blue moon and corona...

but...

I really did not like it - at all. It seemed way to dry and bitter for a summer ale and lacked any sort of fruity notes that I like in summer beers.

I definitely won't buy it again.
it'
s quite nice to cook with... will be posting my recipe that I used it in later.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 19 of 100

Jump to: