Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, amazing beer. I haven't had in in a while and I noticed the grocery store had it a few days ago..So i had to buy it. It is all I drank the past few days.

Sig brought to you by Justo
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here goes my first official beer review

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

Probably one of the best DIPAs i've ever had, price per four pack was a little daunting, but the best beers always cost more.

The smell is pretty citrusy, can't tell what kind of fruit it is, tangerine maybe apple or pineapple. The hops smell doesn't hit you all that hard for a DIPA.

First taste is loaded with hops that taste amazing, than it has a really delicious caramel malt lingering taste, but not overbearing. Really great color, like a golden amber, perfect amount of carbonation, two fingered head. 9% never tasted so good. Easy to drink for a DIPA, finished all 4 in less than 90 minutes. I can't describe anymore how delicious this beer is.

My Rating - 9.2

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have been writing a beer review immediately after getting really drunk off of said beer, after reading what I wrote, I might have been exaggerating just a bit. Laughing

My more sober rating: 8.0

RaiderX with the assist^^

Last edited by ienjoythesnow on Fri May 15, 2009 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
Dang, just now saw this thread. Here's what I've been consuming lately, Waldo, and my grades according to your scale:

Left Hand Milk Stout: 8.0

I'm a sucker for aromatic beers with heavy ingredients like milk, coffee, and caramel. I also appreciate the Guinness-like drinkability despite its complexion.

Sweetwater Dank Tank and Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster- 6.5, 8.5

I grouped these together because they're very similar in recipe and taste. Dank Tank is just a doubled up version of Sweetwater's IPA, and BHM is a normal IPA. Last week when I visited Sweetwater, I made the amateur mistake of drinking Dank Tank second. I'm sure those of you who enjoy IPAs (and especially double IPAs) know that they can absolutely kill your taste buds. So, I like both of these beers (BHM more obviously) when you're going on a very acrid and bitter path, but don't switch to EPAs and Stouts after drinking IPAs.

Highland Cattail Peak Seasonal (bottled)- 4.5

I'm usually a sucker for Hefeweizens, but this was awful. There was no fruitiness of a Leinenkugel's, no maltiness of a Tire Biter, and no wheatiness of Dogfish Head. It tasted like watered down Miller Lite, which I didn't think was possible. And I included the fact that it was bottled, so you know it's not just poor draught.

Waldo, are you a fan of The Porter Beer Bar?

I just had the Dank Tank last Sunday for the first time. We went to Leon's for dinner (owned by the same guy that owns Brickstore, with a better food menu, just around the corner from Brickstore, on Ponce, Dank Tank is on tap currently). It was pretty good. Tons of hop flavor, I might have given it a 7, close enough. The food there is outstanding, it's worth checking out if you haven't been there. I also had a Terrapin beer, but I had their Rye, which I like a great deal. First one I had there was Victory Oatmeal stout. Wow was that good. I'm going to have to find some bottle of it, out of the tap I'd give it an 8.5. At least. Tastes just like Town Hall Black H20 Oatmeal Stout, one of my 3 favorite beers.

I can't stand Highland beers. They suck. I haven't yet had one good one, and I've tried enough of their line that I don't even bother to waste my money.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Fri May 15, 2009 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier

A Witbier is a Belgian Wheat beer that uses flavorings beyond the usual ingredients, such as orange peel and coriander, in addition to hops, to create the taste of the beer. Typically they are lightly hopped and use a wheat yeast that leaves esters, though not as strong as the banana flavor of a German Weiss. Sam Adams offering includes blackberries. As far as Witbiers go it is relatively malty. The blackberry is not very strong, and is not overdone, but it adds a distinct tartness and fruityness to the beer. It is actually quite a good pairing to a Witbeer. This one is hopped a little more than a typical Witbier and it uses a cleaner yeast, the beer isn't nearly as hazy as a typical Wit. It is also a little darker.

What I like, they didn't overdo the blackberry. This is still a beer, it isn't blackberry juice with some beer added. This is a very refreshing summer beer, and a good beer just to have in the middle of a hot day.

What I like least, I don't know that I could sustain drinking these for any length of time. The tartness and fruityness wears on you after a bit. It is not nearly as smooth as a typical Witbier, which are some of the smoothest beers of all. It drinks more like a light Pale Ale.

All in all it is a pretty solid beer, well done for a fruit added beer. Not one to get for Friday night, instead one to get for Saturday afternoon. This is one that the ladies tend to like as well. (My wife and her friends love it).

Grade: 6.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Leon's twice, and the first time, it came away underwhelmed. The second time was better, but still it wasn't on Porter's level. If you haven't been there, it's definitely worth trying. It's on Euclid in Little 5.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
PackerFanDan

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have been writing a beer review immediately after getting really drunk off of said beer, after reading what I wrote, I might have been exaggerating just a bit. Laughing

You got drunk off of 4 beers?
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerFanDan wrote:
ienjoythesnow wrote:

9% ABV, it's like drinking 2-3 cans of fizzy yellow pee. Each. Most wine isn't even that strong.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8% and above will put you on your seat after 3-4 beers.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
boondock

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:

QFT! I've had 3 Flying Dog Double Dogs put me down for the count @ 11.5%.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerFanDan wrote:

yup, you got a problem with that?.

i normally just buy a 22 oz and that'll put me right where i want to be most nights.

Waldo

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing is located in Southern California. This is one of their specialty beers, not part of their usual lineup. Like a Raushbier or some Scottish Ales, a portion of the malt is smoked with peat. This is a moderately strong Porter, the smoked malt definitely has a noticeable flavor and it is quite good in this setting. The taste of the carmelized malt is not especially strong, and is masked a bit by the smokey flavor. It has a very coffee/dark chocolate type taste with a smokey flair (peat smoke, not wood smoke, there is a definite difference). There are some bittering and flavoring hops used, but it not a large quantity. I do think that they added some roasted barley and this is somewhat of a Porter/Stout hybrid, given a blind taste test I probably wouldn't be able to say Stout/Porter with any certainty. It is fairly dry for a Porter.

What I like most, this is a complex beer with a lot of layers. As I drink it it keeps getting better and better. If you get it I suggest drinking this one at cellar temperature, the flavors are becoming very noticeably stronger and more pronounced as it warms up, at fridge temp it was kinda bland. There are several different flavoring malts in addition to the smoke and hops, plus being a dry beer the aftertaste really lingers.

What I like least, there is one thing too many, perhaps lose the flavoring hops or roasted barley, there are just so many different flavors that compete with one another for your attention. Because of that I think that this is a beer that would benefit from a year or two in a cellar, which has the effect of causing a lot of various flavors to combine into one.

Overall this beer is very good, the smoked malt addition compliments the beer well. I've had better Porters, but if you are a dark beer drinker and looking for something different to give a try, this is definitely one to look out for. The nice thing, it comes in a 22 oz bottle and isn't overly expensive per bottle, you you can pick it up with a 6 pack of something else and give it a try. I noted earlier that it keeps getting better, I've never had a beer that it was this noticeable on, every sip is better than the last; the temperature has a lot to do with it, all the flavors get stronger as it warms up. The smokyness is really done well in this beer, I've had some very bad attempts at a smokey beer, and really only Schlenkerla has had other examples that I likes (incidentally I have their Urbock in my fridge, it'll be reveiwed in the next day or two).

Grade 7.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:

My Rating - 9.2

I don't think you exaggerated too much. It really is one of the best IPA's there is. Probably my favorite. I would say that it's not quite a 9.2, but I'd give it higher than an 8.

Very good for your first beer review, even better since you were drunk. I've been reading mine, and I can tell that I wrote them right before falling asleep. I've also been writing them off memory, since I've been having stomach problems. As soon as everything heals up from the surgery, I'll be buying new brews, and reviewing them.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Thrillhouse

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:

No doubt. And so not only are you probably usually drinking QUALITY - it can kick your butt too.

There's no reason to drink crappy beer. Very Happy

LeGarrette Blount wrote:
Aaron Rodgers...makes me feel incredible.

Uncle Buck wrote:
Barbara Streisand - Can't go into it on this site.
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to the russian river brewing co. last night, which was awesome. got two orders of the sampler which was 11 different 2oz tasters, sadly I cannot remember which one I liked the best. After we finished those we got a bottle of Damnation and a few bottles of Pliny the Elder which I shall give my review on.

Russian River's Pliny The Elder (8%)

While I've heard their Pliny the Younger is the best beer they make, sadly it is only made once a year and usually only lasts a week. So i settled with second best, which was still pretty darn incredible.

The smell kind of reminds me of the 90 minute ipa from dogfish head, really citrusy, piney, and hoppy, but this time it smells more like grapefruit. Has a golden orangish color to it with not a lot of head.

First taste to hit the pallet is a load of hops, this double IPA is just loaded with hops and has a great bitterness taste to it. Couldn't really taste a lot of malt in there, it was just dominated by the bitter hops, for a DIPA, the bitterness was incredibly smooth and really drinkable. Really nothing about this beer I didn't like, very solid selection by my buddy who took me. I'd rate it just a bit higher than the 90 minute IPA.

My Rating: 8.8
Serving Style: Corked Bottle

The second beer we got was a bottle of Damnation, we really wanted to get the consecration but paying 25 dollars for a 750 mL bottle was just a bit out of our price range.

Russian River's Damnation (7%)

Really nice color, like a slightly darker fizzy [inappropriate/removed] beer, with a good amount of head, my buddy says it has nice lacing, but I forgot to ask him what that meant. The smell was great, kind of spicy, with a hint of yeast and fruit.

Really easy to drink, it was hard for me to put a finger on what kind of beer this was, but after looking at the website, they call it a Belgian Strong Golden Ale. The balance of malts and hops is superb in this beer, neither overbearing the other. Not really all that bitter, very tasty, kind of has a crisp dry somewhat spicy aftertaste that makes you want to keep ordering more bottles.

My Rating: 7.8
Serving Style: Corked Bottle poured in a tulip glass

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard of Russian River, but didn't realize how good it's supposed to be. I looked at another beer review site, and it's the highest rated brewery I've seen. The other site rates 0-5. 3 is good-real good, 4+ is rare. Russian River has nothing rated below a 3.0, and 8 beers rated above 4. The Elder was rated at 4.2, their second highest, and the Younger was rated at 4.25.

Impressive. So impressive that I looked where I can get their beer locally, and I will have to try it.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 11 of 100

Jump to: