Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
I don't mind a good Corona and lime.

ugghh, i do, coronas are terrible, i'd rather have pbr.

RaiderX with the assist^^
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two favorite easily accessible summer beers are Blue Moon (while fishing or hanging out up in northern Wisconsin) or Corona with a lime, when in more of an urban or beach setting.

A couple beers I've seen talked about recently and think are awful:

Leinie's Fireside Nut Brown - I had high hopes for this beer as I like the style, but it was awful.

Leinie's Sunset Wheat - Again, this was a huge disappointment for me. I didn't even finish the one I had.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
Waldo wrote:

I agree with Waldo, the problem is that half the time or a little more, the Corona has become skunky, so it isn't even good with lime. But if you can find a Corona that isn't skunky it can be very good and refreshing.

Waldo

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
ienjoythesnow wrote:
Waldo wrote:

I agree with Waldo, the problem is that half the time or a little more, the Corona has become skunky, so it isn't even good with lime. But if you can find a Corona that isn't skunky it can be very good and refreshing.

Corona is purposely skunky. It is nearly impossible to get a bottle that isn't skunky (I believe they purposely expose it to light in the brewing process, so in fact it would be impossible). Skunky isn't necessarily bad if done right. IMO Corona and lime is the best presentation that man has yet devised for photooxidized hops.

At least though it seems that it is a desired affect, something that can't be said for Heineken, which is almost always guaranteed to be skunky as well out of a bottle (I hate Heineken).

If you don't want skunky beer, don't bother buying beer in clear or green bottles, the bottles provide no protection, the hops are oxidized almost instantly in sunlight, or in a few hours in fluorescent light. I'm so glad that Sam Smith is starting to use brown bottles, used to be by the case was the only way to get a good one, and a case of Sam Smith ain't cheap, typically $35-$40.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock

Ayinger is another old Bavarian brewery in Germany. Their Celebrator Dopplebock is very well known. It has relatively low alcohol (6.7% ABV) for a Dopplebock. The taste is strong and sweet/nutty/woody. It has fairly high hop content for a Dopplebock. The yeast is fairly transparent and doesn't tint the beer much. It is a thick and strong beer. There is not much aroma to it.

What I like most, this beer is like a light barley wine and has a smooth flavor. The malt flavor is very nice, and very strong, and quite sweet. The taste of alcohol is definitely noticeable.

What I like the least, the hops, they balance the strong malt, and are fairly bitter, almost astringent. They prevent the beer for tasting overly sweet however.

Celebrator is often dubbed "the" Dopplebock, and is widely recognized as one of the best. There are others I like better, but this is a very good beer that packs a punch.

Grade: 7.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
boondock

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to start the night off with 2 reviews. I got a mix pack from my local grocery tonight, so let's see where we go with that.

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale

Very Solid beer. Has a nice orange/amber look to it. When you drink it you get a nice taste of hops also has a nice malt taste as well. It's very tasty.

I give it a 6.5.

Brooklyn Pilsner

After drinking this beer and others, I realize that Pilsner is not a taste for me. It has your standard gold pilsner look with a very tangy/sour taste when you drink it.

I give it a solid 4.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full Moon Winter Ale by Blue Moon

Darker beer. The taste starts out sweet, but ends up a little bit tarty in the after taste. A lot of carbonation in the mouth when you swallow.

I'd give it a 4.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullers 1845

In England there is a movement known as the "Real Ale" movement, similar to the rise of craft brewing in the US, though with more defined perameters. Worldwide there is a general reaction against the megabreweries, in England it is no different. Fullers is seen as one of the standard bearers or the English movement, and 1845 is their flagship beer. It is a strong English Pale Ale, bottle conditioned to develop the carbonation. Beer is carbonated two ways, either by putting the beer under pressure from gaseous carbon dioxide for an amount of time, and bottling under pressure, or by adding a measured amount of sugar per bottle in unfiltered (living) beer, naturally letting the sugar ferment in the bottle (a byproduct of fermentation is CO2), when capped, the CO2 produced will carbonate the beer. When bottle conditioned, beer tends to remain in a fresh state much longer, however it isn't as strictly predictable as forced carbonation so isn't widely done by commercial breweries, plus it leaves a yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Most homebrewed beer tends to be bottle conditioned, Fullers 1845 tastes very similar to what you would expect out of a homebrewed batch. It has a strong well developed malt taste, with some residual sweetness, it has a fairly high gravity. The caramelized malt is of the lighter variety, and they used a good amount to develop the deep red color. Hops of all 3 types are used, bittering, flavor and aroma, however they are well balanced with the malt and not overpowering. It is easy to tell that fresh hops were used.

What I like most, this beer tends to be really fresh from the bottle. All of the components are well balanced and compliment each other well.

What I like least, I don't really know that the power is really necessary. Often there is a view that add more and it is better, but this isn't really the case IMO. If they were to use the 25% less of all the ingredients per batch, I think that this would be an extremely good session beer and very enjoyable to a large audience. As is it is a fringe high gravity beer, many people don't care for the heavy, high power beers.

All in all, this is a very solid beer and a very good representative of the "Real Ale" movement. If you were to brew a strong Pale Ale at home, chances are it wouldn't taste too different, this beer has that homemade taste, definitely not a bad thing. However it doesn't have a lot of wow factor. If you want a very solid strong Pale Ale, give this one a shot.

Grade: 7.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Sun May 10, 2009 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Dog Scottish Porter

Brewer:Flying Dog
Style:Scottish Porter

My Review
My favorite offering from Flying Dog. Pours dark brown, with a nice tan head. Not a traditional porter. It lacks the heavy chocolate/coffee after tastes that most traditional porters have, but there is still a hint. It also doesn't have the heavy roasted flavor of most porters. A very nice malty taste. Full bodied, but not heavy flavored.

Even though a great beer, the best part is still the label. It pretty much sums up Flying Dog's style with the quote "Good Beer, No S@$t".

Technical:
Flying Dog Ales wrote:
ABV: 6.0%
Plato: 14
IBU's: 31
Specialty Malts: 120L Crystal, Chocolate,
Black
Hops: Warrior, Cascade
Process: A swarm of bats often hovers over the brewhouse during brewing!

My Grade: 8.3

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing is an American craft brewery based in Colorado. Their Milk Stout is a fine example of the style. A milk stout is similar to a traditional stout, with the primary flavor provided by unfermentable roasted barley, with the addition of Lactose Sugar derived from milk. Lactose is at best minimally fermentable by beer yeast, so there is a residual sweetness that it provides, similar concept to putting sugar in your coffee. You can't add normal sugar to beer, as the yeast just ferments it into alcohol. There is a lot of roasted barley used in this example, very little hops (only bittering), and only a moderate amount of Lactose.

What I like best, this is a fine example of what IMO is a very good beer style. It is overall a fairly basic example of the style, but there is nothing wrong with that, I tend to think that basic examples of styles tend to be a little better than crazy examples. The hints of sweetness balancing the roasted barley is an outstanding taste.

What I like least, I think that there is a wee bit too much roasted barley and not enough carmelized barley. It is very strong tasting. I wouldn't mind a little of the roasted barley being traded for some carmelized barley.

This is a strong tasting, but not heavy (or high alcohol), stout, with a very pleasant flavor. If you like Guinness you'll love this one. Personally it is not may favorite beer (though I do like it a whole lot), but I have met a number of people that consider it one of the best they've ever had.

Grade: 7.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left Hand's Milk Stout is great. I was very happy with it the few times I've had it. One of the best examples of the style too, but you can say that about almost anything Left Hand brews.

I give a warning about drinking milk stouts. The milk sugars do have a kinda bad reaction with your stomach if you drink too much your first time having it. I, of course, found this out the hard way.

A buddy and I went to a local brewery, Arctic Craft, and bought a 5gal of their milk stout. We drank the whole time we were brewing a batch of our own. The morning after was not pretty, and I'm not talking about a hangover. If you do decide to drink a lot of it, be prepared to run the next day.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Left Hand's Milk Stout is great. I was very happy with it the few times I've had it. One of the best examples of the style too, but you can say that about almost anything Left Hand brews.

I give a warning about drinking milk stouts. The milk sugars do have a kinda bad reaction with your stomach if you drink too much your first time having it. I, of course, found this out the hard way.

A buddy and I went to a local brewery, Arctic Craft, and bought a 5gal of their milk stout. We drank the whole time we were brewing a batch of our own. The morning after was not pretty, and I'm not talking about a hangover. If you do decide to drink a lot of it, be prepared to run the next day.

LOL, never had that happen, though I don't think that I've ever binge drank a milk stout. Surely not a beer for you if you are lactose intolerant.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first disagreement - I didn't like the Milk Stout.

I also hate Heineken.

You forgot to mention the best part about Celebrator...The goat!!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Fullers 1845

Nice! I've got a soft spot in my heart for Fuller's beers Wink

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, just now saw this thread. Here's what I've been consuming lately, Waldo, and my grades according to your scale:

Left Hand Milk Stout: 8.0

I'm a sucker for aromatic beers with heavy ingredients like milk, coffee, and caramel. I also appreciate the Guinness-like drinkability despite its complexion.

Sweetwater Dank Tank and Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster- 6.5, 8.5

I grouped these together because they're very similar in recipe and taste. Dank Tank is just a doubled up version of Sweetwater's IPA, and BHM is a normal IPA. Last week when I visited Sweetwater, I made the amateur mistake of drinking Dank Tank second. I'm sure those of you who enjoy IPAs (and especially double IPAs) know that they can absolutely kill your taste buds. So, I like both of these beers (BHM more obviously) when you're going on a very acrid and bitter path, but don't switch to EPAs and Stouts after drinking IPAs.

Highland Cattail Peak Seasonal (bottled)- 4.5

I'm usually a sucker for Hefeweizens, but this was awful. There was no fruitiness of a Leinenkugel's, no maltiness of a Tire Biter, and no wheatiness of Dogfish Head. It tasted like watered down Miller Lite, which I didn't think was possible. And I included the fact that it was bottled, so you know it's not just poor draught.

Waldo, are you a fan of The Porter Beer Bar?

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 10 of 100

Jump to: