Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't like Newcastle?

I actually really dislike it.

Me too, I'm not a fan at all.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale

Tommyknocker is a brewpub/craft brewery in Colorado with national distribution. This is an interesting concept for a beer, maple syrup added to standard brown ale, replacing some of the fermentable sugars in the malt. The maple taste isn't very strong, there is a hint of it in the aftertaste, though it adds a sweet weirdness to the beer flavor that isn't necessarily all that great. It is a brown ale, with no hop flavor and some hop bitterness, but a fairly strong malt taste from darker malts, the light uncaramelized malts have very little flavor, possibly due to the portion replaced by the sugar in the syrup. The chocolate malt in it is very distinct, almost like a very light Porter.

What I like, I think the underlying brown ale is very good. Taste of chocolate malt, and some lighter carmelized malt, moderate hop bittering, no hop flavor.

What I don't like, while I like the concept, I don't really think that this is the best style to add maple to. I think that a lightly hopped light ale like a bitter, or one of the crossovers like a cream ale or alt would be a much better beer to pair with maple syrup (or even a very light brown ale like a Newcastle). The maple would be stronger and wouldn't compete as much with the flavor.

I like the concept, but the underlying beer has too much taste, which doesn't jive that great with the maple syrup, which itself doesn't taste like you would expect since it is fermented. If it weren't for the hint of maple in the aftertaste, I would have no idea of what was causing the weird flavor.

Grade: 4.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breckinridge Brewery Vanilla Porter

My Review:
More vanilla than Porter. It pours dark brown with a medium light tan head. Scents of vanilla, chocolate, coffee, and toasted malts. Tastes lightly of a porter with a rich, creamy, vanilla/chocolate taste, with coffee undertones. It reminds me of a milkshake that you ran out of chocolate syrup while making it.... If that makes sense? It's kind of a after dinner/desert beer, if there is such a thing. Very easy to drink by itself, but I really can't think of a good food pairing, except chocolate cake, or vanilla ice cream.

Technical:
Breckinridge Brewery wrote:
Quick Facts About Vanilla Porter Beer
Beer Style: Herb and Spice Beer
Flavor: Smooth roasted chocolate with a creamy vanilla finish.
Yeast: Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts: Two Row Pale, Caramel, Chocolate, Black, Roasted Barley
Hops: Chinook, Tettinang, Perle, Goulding
Vanilla: Real vanilla beans from Paupau New Guinea and Madagascar.
Color: Deep Brown
Bitterness Units: 16
Alcohol ByVolume: 4.7%
Availability: Year round

Score: 8.0

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with your score on the Breckenridge. That is one of my favorite beers. The vanilla is not overdone but definitely is there, and it is definitely fresh vanilla beans, not extract, balanced well agaisnt the malt. I wish the chocolate malt was a little stronger, but that is a minor complaint, all in all an excellent beer.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
I totally agree with your score on the Breckenridge. That is one of my favorite beers. The vanilla is not overdone but definitely is there, and it is definitely fresh vanilla beans, not extract, balanced well agaisnt the malt.

We're thinking a lot alike then. I agree on all your reviews on the beers I've tried.

Since moving to CO, I've been mainly drinking local beers. I'll review a few more over the next couple days.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
BLick12

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this for sure. Being a college student I consume a lot of cheap beer, but I can definitely always sit down and enjoy a good one.

EDIT: A couple good brews I really enjoy are Blue Moon, Yeungling, and Lionshead (which is the best brew in PA not Yuengling to whoever said that).

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
boondock

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

I like New Castle. I started drinking it when I got out of college since it was something different. I still drink it from time to time if there is nothing else I like available at the bar.

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

I don't mind New Castle. A coworker really likes it and I drink it on occasion we I'm over to play cards at his house.

I have a Question. I'm always looking for a new good beer to try so kudos to you Waldo this is a cool thread. I'm not big on hoppy beer. Beers like Guinness I can barely choke down. I want a beer for a beer, not a meal. So my question to you is What would you recommend for someone like me. I seem to gravitate toward more ales.

My personal favorites are:
Boulevard Wheat- I need to try the Lunarar Ale but I heard it was like Blue Moon and I'm not big on Blue Moon
Fat Tire
Sam Adams Light, Boston Loger, and their Spring Ale.
Dos Equis
And of course your domestic "swill" beer. Sue me I'm in college.

If any suggestions are rare, that's fine, but I might not be able to get my hands on it. I live in a D-II college town and the closest we have to a "liquor store" is a Hyvee. Figure that one out. But yeah I'll try anything once. I'll write up a review for the Sam Adams summer Ale since it is about that time later.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
boondock

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

I don't mind New Castle. A coworker really likes it and I drink it on occasion we I'm over to play cards at his house.

I have a Question. I'm always looking for a new good beer to try so kudos to you Waldo this is a cool thread. I'm not big on hoppy beer. Beers like Guinness I can barely choke down. I want a beer for a beer, not a meal. So my question to you is What would you recommend for someone like me. I seem to gravitate toward more ales.

Boulevard Wheat- I need to try the Lunarar Ale but I heard it was like Blue Moon and I'm not big on Blue Moon
Fat Tire
Dos Equis

If any suggestions are rare, that's fine, but I might not be able to get my hands on it. I live in a D-II college town and the closest we have to a "liquor store" is a Hyvee. Figure that one out. But yeah I'll try anything once. I'll write up a review for the Sam Adams summer Ale since it is about that time later.

If you like Boston Lager, I'd suggest that you try Rogue Dead Guy. I think they have similar characteristics in taste and look. Dead Guy is way better though.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not at all partial to the Boston Lager. I enjoy drinking a Cherry Wheat every now and again though.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

Fat Tire
Dos Equis

A couple to give a try if you see:
Sam Adams Red Ale - My favorite SA offering, I think they did a good job with it, not very hoppy or strong, nothing is overdone, a very good example of the style (tastes nothing like Killians)
Dales Old Chub Scottish Ale - Comes in a can (techincally a can is a superior to glass for beer, the hops are fresher), but it is an excellent Scottish Ale. A lot of Scottish Ales are barley wine strength or super strong, but that is not a hallmark of the style, low hops, and a carmelized malt profile, with a slightly smokey hint in what defines the style, but it can come in a huge variety of strengths. Old chub is a moderate strength beer, might be a little darker than your typical beer, but it is not a dark beer, with very low hops.

I bet you'd like the Southampton Altbier.

Though a lager, the Marzen (Oktoberfest) style is one you might like, not overly strong or hoppy. Generally when not in the Fall brewers use the style name for Oktoberfest beer, Marzen. Standard Sam Adams is basically a hoppy Marzen.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
tikitiger

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heineken is my favorite of the "mainstream" beers.. stuff is quality
#4 South Carolina Gamecocks 11-2
We didn't make the BCS?

Jags | Sharks | Lakers | Giants
QuinneyluvsNFL

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god i need to try some of these beverages, as i have only had Carling, Stella Artois, Guinness, Strongbow, Magners, Bulmers before, and not a proper ale. Do you guys have many of the drinks i listed above over in America. Obviously i know Guinness is popular, but what about Carling or Stella?
I haven't had many different drinks to compare, so i am not going to give ratings on any of these.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i have to say is since i've turned 21, drinking at college has become more of a variety. not having to drink bud light, natty light, or keystone is definitely a welcomed thing.

and the fact that budweiser american ale and bud light 12 packs are the same price at the store, and people still pick bud light is atrocity. i don't get the love for that stuff, it's not even friggin cheap.

and i came across a different 30 pack of a bud beer called bud dry, it was like 5 bucks cheaper than a 30 of bud light and tasted a lot better. that and busch are the only two i will willing buy for myself that i would've drank before i turned 21.

~lago_vista on the sig/avatar
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbluefan87 wrote:
all i have to say is since i've turned 21, drinking at college has become more of a variety. not having to drink bud light, natty light, or keystone is definitely a welcomed thing.

Yeah, I pretty much exclusively drank Miller Lite before I turned 21. Now I only drink Miller Lite as a last resort or when I'm playing beer pong.

bigbluefan87 wrote:
and the fact that budweiser american ale and bud light 12 packs are the same price at the store, and people still pick bud light is atrocity. i don't get the love for that stuff, it's not even friggin cheap.

Some people prefer a lager to an ale, just different tastes. Plus I believe Bud Lite is probably less calories, which some people care about.

bigbluefan87 wrote:
and i came across a different 30 pack of a bud beer called bud dry, it was like 5 bucks cheaper than a 30 of bud light and tasted a lot better. that and busch are the only two i will willing buy for myself that i would've drank before i turned 21.

*shudder* Busch is the worst beer I have ever drank. I would rather have Natural Light.

Actually I take that back. Natural Ice is the worst beer I have ever drank. That crap is nothing less than the most disgusting swill I have ever forced myself to consume.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 8 of 100

Jump to: