Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
cheap beer = crap. I''d love to see Waldo's detailed reviews on some more common brews like Blue moon and Killian's Irish red. though I feel like he is just going through his fridge right now.

Yeah, I am going through my fridge. I haven't had Blue Moon regular in years, but I did have their Spring Ale a few weeks ago. I was impressed, it was quite good.

I tend to buy beer faster than I drink it, I'll stop and pick up something before I finish off another, things build up and over time I'll have nearly a dozen different types in there, then I have to drink it down a bit before I can add more.

One thing I'm really curious about is the new offerings by Budweiser, that seem at least to be an attempt to compete with the microbrews, such as their Amber Ale. I've been scared to try it and waste my money, but you never know, maybe they have seen the light, the brewers that brew that megabrew crap are in fact the best of the best, kinda odd but true, they have the capability.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're also smart making their stuff hte cheapest. I like regular bud. it's not a bad beer. but I would prefer to not drink it over drink it. I would like to try their American ale. thank god we have a place in Charleston that does the pick you own 6 pick thing you were talking about.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
they're also smart making their stuff hte cheapest. I like regular bud. it's not a bad beer. but I would prefer to not drink it over drink it. I would like to try their American ale. thank god we have a place in Charleston that does the pick you own 6 pick thing you were talking about.

Many of the brewpubs out there and microbrews are in fact owned by Miller, AB, or Coors. They act as a farm system for brewmasters, the best of the best at the small scale move up to the larger micro brands, then finally up to the macro brands. The key for their job is making the exact same thing, batch after batch. The minor ones vary in quality from batch to batch, as you go up the ladder the flavor gets more and more constant, until you reach the megas, where even the most refined palette can not notice any difference from batch to batch. They are a case where the amount of actual beer ingredients, the barley and hops, is very, very low per serving, the bulk of the fermentable sugar coming from corn or rice, not malted barely, and they add no caramelized color/flavor grain. They do the best they can for how utterly cheap it is to make.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
duxrule

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Just a few of the beers I like:

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and Sunset Wheat: these beers are interesting because they've got very strong fruity notes. They're good to drink just one or two if you're sitting around on a hot day, but I wouldn't recommend downing several of them. The Shandy has a lemonade finish to it, though it's not as sweet as you'd think it would be considering they literally combine it with lemonade. The Sunset Wheat has a blueberry flavor and is sweeter than Shandy. These are not manly beers by any means, but they are still enjoyable, and if you're ever going to get a woman who doesn't like beer to drink a beer, these guys are the way to go. Leinie's also makes a couple of beers that are like an apple cinnamon type of beverage and a berry weiss that are more juice than beer, but still have about 4% ABV. They're far too sweet for my tastes, though.

The Leinies Apple is actually better warm than cold. Not a fan of the Shandy, but know a lot of people are. I'm more a fan of their Fireside Nut Brown, Red, and Creamy Dark. Creamy Dark is a fantastic choice if you like darker beers without a ton of bitterness to them. Oktoberfest is really good too, but seasonal.

On a side note....I don't think there is a beer known to man that goes with a gyro better than Leinie Honey Weiss. Try it, and thank me later.
Lord Shiva

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been partial to Point and Shiner
PhycoPantherFan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite is Yuengling
A nice cold PBR on a hot day isnt bad either.

Dont hate..

One I cant stand is Sam Adams.

Carolinakitten is the man!
Armanti Edwards: Carolina's WR of the future
Thrillhouse

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totty wrote:

So give me a

Oh geez...if you're going to drink on the cheap, at least go with "Budweiser" or MGD and skip the Light garbage. Wink

LeGarrette Blount wrote:
Aaron Rodgers...makes me feel incredible.

Uncle Buck wrote:
Barbara Streisand - Can't go into it on this site.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totty wrote:
I am sorry boys, I was born in America...So my beer should be too.

So give me a

You do know Anheuser-Busch was bought by InBev of Belgium, right? So your beer might be made in the US, but you're making a guy in another country richer.

Help the local economy, support your local microbrewery. There's even one right there in Oswego, King Arthurís Steakhouse and Brewery, got some good reviews on their beer too.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
NEtimehester

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a broke college student, so most of the time I cant afford good beer. I usually drink cheap stuff and supplement my need for good beer by brewing my own. It will be nice when I have a real job and I can try all the good beers.

sig by keato
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEtimehester wrote:
I'm a broke college student, so most of the time I cant afford good beer. I usually drink cheap stuff and supplement my need for good beer by brewing my own. It will be nice when I have a real job and I can try all the good beers.

That's the way to do it. I made some pretty good ones of my own, one of my buddies in college made one of the best beers I ever had, a sweet vanilla porter that had a dozen fresh vanilla beans in the fermenter. You learn so much about beer by doing it. We saved a ton of cash that way, when I was in school we had a kegging system and brewing system, and everybody in the house brewed, we always had about half a dozen active fermenters, we almost never ran out of homebrewed beer, though we augmented it with regular kegs for parties and the occasional 6 pack for variety.

Put those organic chemistry classes to work for you. Laughing

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeman Cream Ale 64*

Sleeman is a Canadian brewery in Ontario, they make a selection of craft brewed beers. Like a Steam Beer, a Cream Ale is a style with its roots in America, basically an Americanized Alt or Kolsh. Cream Ale's use Ale yeast and do their primary fermentation at warmer ale temperatures, then have a secondary fermantation and lagering period at lager temperatures to smooth the beer. This is a light and moderately hopped beer, with only bittering hops. The malt flavor is light but discernable. One odd thing about this beer, I believe the water used to brew it is very hard, reminiscent of some English Ales (Bass for example), but the English Ales are much stronger flavored. You can almost taste the hardness. Moderate strength at 5.0% ABV.

What I like about this beer is it's drinkability. This is a very easy drinking beer with a light but pleasant taste. It almost seems thirst quenching. People that like lite American beer would really enjoy this one.

What I don't like about this beer is how the flavor dies. This beer has no aftertaste, which is unfortunate because it is not all that unpleasant. I think the hardness of it plays a big role in muting the aftertaste. They could have used a hair more barley and a hair less hops, but overall it has good balance.

One thing about this beer, I bet it goes really good with food and is a good beer to have at dinner. This beers drinkability is definitely its best selling point. I just wish there was more to it. They could keep the same character yet make it so much better, with just minor tweaking.

Grade: 4.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work waldo, i love reading your reviews, i wish i could write that much about any of the beers i usually drink, i just don't have the ability (yet) to distinguish the certain flavors that are added. that being said, i'd love to hear your opinion (or anyone else's for that matter) on deschutes obsidian stout (one of my personal favorites). i'm not sure if they distribute all the way down to where you're at so finding one would be a bit of a challenge.

RaiderX with the assist^^

Last edited by ienjoythesnow on Mon May 04, 2009 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caerus

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price/Quantity/Drinkability/Drunkability.

9/9

5*

BSTARS

msmre on April 23, 2005 wrote:
Rodgers will be the future of the Packers and will prove to be a great pick.
Waldo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 10 primary flavors to a beer and some possible secondary ones.

Hops have 3 distinctly different flavors in beer, depending on how they are boiled. The effect is drastically different.

1) Bittering, hops boiled for 45 min+, they add bittering and nothing else to the beer. All beer has bittering hops to counteract the malt. Some such as IPA's, use a ridiculous amount. Others, especially malty beers, use very little. Bittering hops do not compete much with the malt flavor.

2) Flavoring, hops boiled for 5-15 minutes, it imparts that flavor of hops in the beer without adding much bitterness. The American Pale ale is a style known for tasting like hops, and typically uses copious amounts of flavoring hops. There are several hop varieties grown specifically to use as flavoring hops, the Cascade hop is America's most well known entry, with a very strong flavor (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the taste of Cascade). Flavoring hops compete with the malt favor.

3) Aroma, hops boiled for 5 or less minutes or not boiled. They add the smell of hops an little else. Beer gets a lot of it's flavor from it's nose, plug your nose when you drink and it isn't nearly as interesting. This is one reason glass shape influences flavor so much. There aren't a lot of beers that use much aroma hops, the bang for the buck is very bad. Sometimes you see a beer "dry hopped", this is adding unboiled hops to the fermenter, it adds tremendously to the nose, but can be a very expensive and unpredictable process at the commercial level.

Malt comes in 3 flavors as well

4) Light malt, standard malt dried at a cool enough temperature to not caramelize the sugars. The bulk of the fermentable sugar (aside from cheapo American beers) comes from light malt. It adds a sweet malty flavor. Many of the lighter european beers, especially German, use light malt exclusively and taste of it fairly strongly.

5) Caramelized malts, malts dried at a high enough temperature that the sugar has carmelized. These malts add color and flavor to the beer, adding much of the malt character. They range from light and sweet crystal malts to dark chocolate malts that are almost like a smokey chocolate (the flavor of Porter).

6) Roasted malts, where the sugar has become burned and is unfermentable. Very dark and strong tasting. This is the primary flavoring of stouts. Red ales use just a touch for color and flavoring interest.

then there is the other stuff

7) Yeast, some yeasts are very plain and transparent, some, like Scottish Ale yeasts, add a slight natural smokey taste, Wheat yeasts only partially ferment and have leftovers that have a strong taste (the banana flavor of wheat beers), Belgian ale yeast are very complex and add a lot of different flavors.

8) Other grain, Oatmeal has a hint of flavor and adds to the mouthfeel, Rye is a medium color grain that has it's own distinct flavor, Wheat is light, smooth, an easy to drink, and replaces a portion of the fermentable sugar.

9) Other stuff, I've had some crazy stuff, vanilla beans (awesome), blueberries, raspberries, oak chips, coffee, cherries, passion fruit, coriander, orange peel, etc...., only limited by the imagination.

10) Fermenting and aging, the temperature of fermenting and aging has a large effect on the final flavor. Warm fermenting happens fast and gives the beer bold flavors. Cold fermenting (lagering) is slower and results in a more muted but smoother beer.

Outisde of that there is some minor stuff related to age and chemistry that has effects, but those 10 are the bulk of the flavors in beer.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Totty

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Totty wrote:
I am sorry boys, I was born in America...So my beer should be too.

So give me a

You do know Anheuser-Busch was bought by InBev of Belgium, right? So your beer might be made in the US, but you're making a guy in another country richer.

Help the local economy, support your local microbrewery. There's even one right there in Oswego, King Arthurís Steakhouse and Brewery, got some good reviews on their beer too.

Yea, I have heard about that. I don't know about you guys but when I think about beer, Bud Light bottle is the first thing that pops in to my brain. Bud Light is American, as American as it can get really. It is in your backyard, in your living room, at your local bar, and sometimes...in your car. I love Budweiser and when I heard it was sold to the crumpet eating commies, I was concerned. Never fear though, They still have American Breweries.

I know of other American Beers. But they don't matter next to my ...

First Steve Jobs, Now Al Davis.. God must be building something.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 6 of 100

Jump to: