Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

You may have to find a specialty wine/beer store to get it though. Depending on what area you're in, I might be able to recommend a spot.

I spend a lot of time in tahoe, but as of recent i've been living in sac and i'm kind of new to the area so i haven't found a great beer store yet.

I have some friends in Vacaville that are good beer drinkers. Might be able to get a beer store recommendation out of them for you. Next time I talk to them, I'll ask.

ienjoythesnow wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

Guess I'll see you at the GABF this year. There's no way I'm missing it for a third year in a row.

maybe i'll sport my nnamdi jersey so you'll be able to pick me out of the crowd Laughing

I'll wear my Sproles jersey. Shouldn't be hard to find a Chargers fan in a Denver crowd.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Yo_Its_T.O.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best beer in Pennsylvania is Yuengling.

Thanks EAtotheGLE
Buckrock101

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no beers I've ever had before Laughing

Not surprising though, since I'm nothing close a connoisseur, all I ever drink is crappy New Zealand beers (when I do drink beer).

That's pretty much my palette when it comes to beer. Maybe a Corona or a Tiger if I'm feeling snobby Laughing

Greta thread anyways, I'm going to have to try and get a hold of some of these fancy beers you're talking about.

IrishGreen wrote:
buck comes thru in the clutch
McNabbMcFadden wrote:
All Hail Buckrock
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't really all that fancy, save for the Allagash. Most of them are (or will be) your standard American microbrews or imports that sell via 6 packs of bottles, that run about $8 per 6 pack (depends on the state). There are literally thousands of different options in that group to be tried across the country.

I'm still searching for the holy grail here in Atlanta, I've found it in other cities. Mix n' match. A flat fee per 6 pack ~$8, shelves and bins and coolers full of beer by the bottle where you can mix and match as you please. Can walk out with four 6 packs and 24 different beers. The place I used to go to in Milwaukee like that, rotated most of the selections monthly to maximize variety. (Brennan's on Bluemound if anybody is interested in where).

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Sun May 03, 2009 12:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Buckrock101

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
They aren't really all that fancy, save for the Allagash. Most of them are (or will be) your standard American microbrews or imports that sell via 6 packs of bottles, that run about $8 per 6 pack (depends on the state). There are literally thousands of different options in that group to be tried across the country.

If you ever end up going to New Zealand, be sure to review some of our beers, so I know how they stack up. Personally, I think most of our stuff is crap, and I wouldn't be surprised if the American stuff is much better.

IrishGreen wrote:
buck comes thru in the clutch
McNabbMcFadden wrote:
All Hail Buckrock
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few of the beers I like:

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and Sunset Wheat: these beers are interesting because they've got very strong fruity notes. They're good to drink just one or two if you're sitting around on a hot day, but I wouldn't recommend downing several of them. The Shandy has a lemonade finish to it, though it's not as sweet as you'd think it would be considering they literally combine it with lemonade. The Sunset Wheat has a blueberry flavor and is sweeter than Shandy. These are not manly beers by any means, but they are still enjoyable, and if you're ever going to get a woman who doesn't like beer to drink a beer, these guys are the way to go. Leinie's also makes a couple of beers that are like an apple cinnamon type of beverage and a berry weiss that are more juice than beer, but still have about 4% ABV. They're far too sweet for my tastes, though.

Brooklyn Lager: Waldo mentioned the Brooklyn brewery earlier, and I have to give that my stamp of approval. They make good beers. I've had their lager and their winter ale, and I loved both of them.

Red Stripe: Imported from Jamaica. It's not a very expensive beer and I wouldn't say it's spectacular, but it's a very solid beverage. It's got a sweetness to it and it comes in really strangely-shaped bottles.

A few other good ones to try:

Smithwick's
Samuel Adams' Oktoberfest, Boston Lager, Lite, Winter Ale, Cherry Wheat
Blue Moon

I really just like a lot of beers. I try to avoid the really hoppy beers, especially IPAs. I don't mind Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but that's about as hoppy as I like them.

I've also developed a pretty strong disdain for the yellow fizzy crap that American breweries mass-produce, but if I have to drink that type of beer then I pretty much stick with Labatt. The Canadian version of weak pee beer is less terrible than the American version. If Labatt isn't available then I go with Miller. I don't really like any of them much, but if I'm partying or playing beer pong that's generally what I'm drinking.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
Totty

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry boys, I was born in America...So my beer should be too.

So give me a

First Steve Jobs, Now Al Davis.. God must be building something.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totty wrote:
I am sorry boys, I was born in America...So my beer should be too.

So give me a

Here's a list of American beer companies.
A

* AC Golden Brewing Company
* Anheuser-Busch
* Atlanta Brewing Company

B

* Ballantine (brewery)
* Bell's Brewery
* Big Bear (malt liquor)
* Billy Beer
* Blue Moon (beer)
* Boston Beer Company
* Boulder Beer Company
* Brew Keeper
* Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch)
* Budweiser American Ale
* Busch Beer

C

* Champale
* Clix Malt Liquor
* Colt 45 (malt liquor)
* Coors Brewing Company

D

* Dogfish Head Brewery
* Drewry's

F

* Falstaff Brewing Corporation
* Frederick Brewing Company

G

* Genesee Cream Ale
* Grain Belt (beer)

G cont.

* Great Divide Brewing Company
* Griesedieck Brothers beer

H

* Half Acre Beer
* Hamm's Brewery
* G. Heileman Brewing Company

K

* Kentucky Common Beer
* Keystone (beer brand)
* Killian's

L

* Lagunitas Brewing Company
* Land Shark Lager
* Laser (malt liquor)
* Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
* Lionshead
* Lone Star Beer
* Lucky Lager

M

* Mercury Brewing Company
* Michelob
* Mickey's
* Midas Touch Golden Elixir
* Miller Brewing Company
* Miller Lite
* Moonlight Brewing Company

N

* National Bohemian
* New Belgium Brewing Company

O

* Odell Brewing Company

O cont.

* Old Milwaukee
* Old Vienna
* Olde English 800

P

* Pabst Brewing Company
* Pearl Brewing Company
* Private Stock (malt liquor)

R

* Red Dog (beer)
* Red White & Blue Beer
* Reisch Beer
* Rolling Rock

S

* Schaefer Beer
* Shock Top
* Spoetzl Brewery
* St. Ides
* Stampede Light
* Stroh Brewery Company
* Sweetwater Brewing Company

T

* Terrapin Beer Company
* Triple Bock
* Twin Lakes Brewing Company

U

* Utica Club

V

* Valentin Blatz Brewing Company

Y

* D. G. Yuengling & Son

as you can see, we have already listed a lot of American beers here, not to mention the mini Colorado microbrews and a few other microbrews people have been mentioning.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

I'm still searching for the holy grain here in Atlanta, I've found it in other cities. Mix n' match. A flat fee per 6 pack ~$8, shelves and bins and coolers full of beer by the bottle where you can mix and match as you please. Can walk out with four 6 packs and 24 different beers.

There's a place up in tahoe i used to go to all that time that did that, best way to buy beer imo, even if you're only getting two different types of beer, it's so worth it.
RyanFuller003 wrote:

I've also developed a pretty strong disdain for the yellow fizzy crap that American breweries mass-produce, but if I have to drink that type of beer then I pretty much stick with Labatt.

if i'm broke or just desperate to get drunk with no good beer around, i'll turn to PBR.

how bout you fellas? what's your "favorite" fizzy yellow beer?

RaiderX with the assist^^

Last edited by ienjoythesnow on Sun May 03, 2009 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
coors

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
I'm still searching for the holy grain here in Atlanta, I've found it in other cities. Mix n' match. A flat fee per 6 pack ~$8, shelves and bins and coolers full of beer by the bottle where you can mix and match as you please. Can walk out with four 6 packs and 24 different beers. The place I used to go to in Milwaukee like that, rotated most of the selections monthly to maximize variety. (Brennan's on Bluemound if anybody is interested in where).

depending where in Atlanta you live, look for a Harry's Farmers Market. They have a couple locations around. They usually have a decent sized beer case that you can mix and match 6 packs.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utica Club is possibly the foulest tasting garbage I've ever drunken.

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck Rabbit Porter

The Duck Rabbit Brewery is located in North Carolina. It is my favorite brand brewed in the south that has at least regional distribution. They have been growing fast, I have seen it more and more places. Their regular Porter (they also brew a Baltic Porter) is a pretty straightforward example of the style. One thing unique about it is that they add a small about of Oatmeal to the grain, which helps with the mouthfeel and adds some subtle flavor, a concept borrowed from the Oatmeal Stout. It is fairly light for a porter, in flavor and strength, and only lightly hopped.

What I like about it the most is that it isn't a beer that tries too hard to be good. Nothing is done in excess, it is a fairly straightforward example of the style. The hops are only bittering hops, and a moderate amount are used. There is no hop flavor, which allows the flavor of the grain to come to the forefront, which IMO is a key to this style.

What I don't like is the strength of the malt. As far as Porters go, this one is a little weak on flavor. The oatmeal adds a subtle odd flavor to it that I don't really love, nor dislike either. This beer could be improved by adding a little more chocolate malt.

Overall this is a smooth and enjoyable beer that is true to the porter style and a very solid entry. While I've had a better porter, this one is quite good and worth picking up.

Grade 7.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Sun May 03, 2009 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
13sieve

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok boys, first off the best beer is free beer i dont care wat anybody says. But then i go by price. In my town Keystone Light, cheap good stuff. Micoloeb Golden Light also cheep. and its tastey

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap beer = crap. I''d love to see Waldo's detailed reviews on some more common brews like Blue moon and Killian's Irish red. though I feel like he is just going through his fridge right now.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
bookend57

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a malt liquor man.

^gopherwrestler^

Last edited by bookend57 on Sun May 03, 2009 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 5 of 100

Jump to: