Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

why are we signing so many recivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goskins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: why are we signing so many recivers Reply with quote

we dont need all these recivers
as of now we have moss garnder jacobs throash brown and patten and mcants

we dont need all of these

as of now i dont think we should go after a WR in the first round.
We should trade down and get a DE like dan cody esramus james etc

next year are starting WR should be Jacobs and moss
if that doesnt work out then we should just grab a reciver next years draft

anyone agree?
goskins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: gibbs Reply with quote

gibbs also said that he doesnt like to draft rookie offensive players in the first round because he doesnt belive that they will have an immidieat impact
TrueRedskin05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at all of our receivers first we got trash we should release him taylor jacobs keep him patten is old but short moss short so practicly we dont got many receivers well we do but they suck except 3 of them jacobs moss and patten i dont think we should have gotten patten but i think we should go after a receiver like williams or edwards if we do pass on 1 of them gibbs has defently messed everything up and if we dont get a young receiver expect our offense to be one of the worst again this year and alot more players will be leaving next year thanks to gibbs
e16bball

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't really understand a lot of the previous post, but I think I agree with its message, at least in part anyway.

Gardner is gone. That we know. McCants is supposedly on the chopping block as well. If we assume Gardner is gone, that leaves us with Moss, Jacobs, Patten, Thrash, McCants, and Brown. If we further assume McCants is on his way out, we are down to 5 receivers. Brown is strictly a KR, so that leaves us with 4 WRs: Moss, Patten, Jacobs, and Thrash.

I think we should definitely hang on to those guys, the first 3 as receivers, and Thrash since he is such a damn good special teams player; Thrash is a more than adequate fill-in WR also.

Still, this leaves us with our 3 primary receivers being under 6 feet, which is where I agree with TrueRedskin. That simply won't do the job, because none of those guys has the ability to provide the possession receiving ability required by Gibbs' offense. The offense requires guys who can get deep, certainly, but also needs someone to play the Art Monk role. Neither Moss, nor Patten, nor Jacobs can do that. That is where Mike Williams comes in. He is that possession-style receiver who could dominate in the short passing game, and a crucially necessary addition. That's why I feel that we must pay all costs necessary to acquire him.

As to Gibbs "messing everything up" though, I disagree. Coles was never going to be a good fit in our new offense, unless his toe miraculously healed. He no longer had the speed to really get deep, as is evidenced by the fact that Rod Gardner was the target on most of the deep balls. Coles is going to be much better off in a mid-level passing game, but he was never a solid fit in the Gibbs style, which emphasizes short passing and the occasional deep go route. We need two distinct types of receiver: the possession guy and the deep threat, and Coles fits in somewhere in the middle of those two. So does Gardner, for that matter. The two acquistions of Moss and Patten are clearly based on the fact that they are both pure deep threats. We are now left trying to pick up our possession guy, and that, IMO, is Mike Williams.
WashingtonRedskins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with e16 and TrueRedskin, the key to our offense next year will be MIke williams, I believe all costs can be accepted in order to get him. What does 3 short receivers do(under 6')-spread the field, FOR what?? Thats where mike will have to come into play, and that is where our offense will succede. Remember last year when we couldnt buy a touchdown? MIke will be crucial in 2nd and 3rd and goal situations-lob it up and hell push down backs like little kids, then let the ball fall into his lap. TD SKINS. 7 points vs. 3 can be all the difference. If gibbs wants 3 he should draft Mike Nugent, if he wants 7, he HAS to draft mike, at any cost.
N8DOGGS HOGS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, JAMES THRASH is a free agent and as of now we haven't resigned him. Gardner will most likely be traded (hopefully to get Mike or Braylon) Some of the WR's might get cut (ie McCants etc) as well if we keep upgrading, just because they are on the roster doesn't mean we have to keep them.

I also think Gibbs is trying to cover up the fact that we want a big time playmaker on offense in the draft, he's gotta be thinking that way. Last year he came sooo close to taking Winslow but defense was a bigger need last year. If there is a big time playmaker on the board and it's a need, it's a no brainer!!
elkton_redskinsfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First off, JAMES THRASH is a free agent

dude where do u get your information from? thats totally false thrash is still is a redskin not a free agent. some people might go during the offseason probably mccants (character issues). but i feel that gibbs still will draft a wr in the first round. they need a big guy at wr everyone else on the roster is below 6'0".

my projected depth chart at wr:

right side: Moss, Edwards or Williams, Thrash

left side: Patton (will switch off with thrash), Jacobs, McCants(?), Brown
sootedpair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that the Skins will hang on to McCants, but right now, he's our one big guy (Please don't reply with "We're going to get Williams"). McCants was great in the red zone for Spurrier. I wish we had used him in those situations last year. We probably would have won a couple more games.

Can anyone state a source or give an example describing McCants poor character issues?
elkton_redskinsfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard in an interview with McCants on Comcast Sports Net not to long after the season ended.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkton_redskinsfan wrote:
I've heard in an interview with McCants on Comcast Sports Net not to long after the season ended.

And???
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think McCants has that poor of character. I question the organization, if you are going to sign a guy to a multi year deal pretty much assuring him that he's in your plans and then you only activate him for a game or 2, hell i'd be pissed also. I'm surprised McCants didn't say more, it seemed like whenever they put him in the game he made a catch or 2, there is somehting to be said the connection that he and Ramsey have. We all know Ramsey isn't the most accurate QB and may never be super acurrate, having a big target to throw to helps.
He and McCants seem to have a connection I'd like to see them play together more.

I'm excited about our receiving corps next year, for once we have speed, that's something we've been missing since we had Albert Connell here, but really we've missed speed since the days of Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders. So I'm excited.

As far as the draft goes, right now, the skins should just take the best available player...that's how I feel. If M Williams or B Edwards are still around of course you take them. If not we could go for a DE, Heath Miller, or Pac Man Jones, or A. Rolle, or even somone like Crowder...because now that we've lost pierce we are going to need another young LB, even with Barrow and Marshall probably being on of the starters at MLB.

That's my opinion.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="avbanig"]I don't think McCants has that poor of character. I question the organization, if you are going to sign a guy to a multi year deal pretty much assuring him that he's in your plans and then you only activate him for a game or 2, hell i'd be pissed also. I'm surprised McCants didn't say more, it seemed like whenever they put him in the game he made a catch or 2, there is somehting to be said the connection that he and Ramsey have. We all know Ramsey isn't the most accurate QB and may never be super acurrate, having a big target to throw to helps.
He and McCants seem to have a connection I'd like to see them play together more.
quote]

Well put. That's my thinking too. Even if we are able to get Williams, I don't see the harm in having two big guys.
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs has said numerous times that Darnerian didnt practice hard. Thats unacceptable. Also, I think I've mentioned this before, but McCants won't play special teams, and so he got de-activated in favor of Thrash and Jacobs and Brown who do.

I think McCants will probably be around for this year, probably stuck on IR or de-activated, or playing in a game or two if we have injuries. I think this because it would cost us money to cut/trade him this year. Next year, however, cutting him would save us $1.5M. I think we could also cut him after June 1st, now that I come to think about it.
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is true e16, maybe they aren't going to give him a chance because of the Practice stuff and the fact he doesn't play special teams, but i think that's a mistake. He could definelty help us, he seems to have above average hands, and above average speed, and we all know he's huge...so what's not to like. I could definetly see him being our 3rd WR and coming in on third down and be in on Goaline situtations because he is so tall.. But hey if they aren't going to use him, then cut him after June 1st and save the $

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: