Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rolle to BAL - helpful or harmful for WAS ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylor36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Rolle to BAL - helpful or harmful for WAS ? Reply with quote

Do you think that Rolle agreement with the Ravens will help the Redskins in the re-signing of Smoot (Smoot realizes that a top-cb like Rolle signed a 6-years 30.5 million contract including 11 millions signing bonus, hence, it will be tough to get a better deal)?
or
Do you think it is now tougher for the Redskins to re-sign him (Smoot is now the top-CB on the free agent market)?
riggensghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is really still shopping for a CB other than KC? Seattle wants Surtain. We need to keep smoot and try to fill in the rest with the draft. The Washington post eluded to the fact that we may not have enough cap space with te 9.5m hit we took for trading coles to be competitive for smoot and that we may opt to fill our holes are DE adn TE.

Mike Williams is the key!!!!
sootedpair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Skins are stuck as to what they can offer Smoot. They won't be able to make an offer like Rolle got.

There are still plenty of top CBs out there though. Law, Dyson, and Woodson(sorta). Surtain is on the trading block too.

We could still get lucky I guess.
Redskins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Smoot will be better in the longer run, like getting Patten if he doesn't have a good season here we're pretty much screwed because there aren't many more seasons in him. It's Brunell all over again, heh.

We've got to hope Smoot resigns and Patten has a good season (although he won't be a go to man in my opinion) but if we get Mike Williams then we don't have to rely on Patten as much as we did Brunell.

I can see I'm going off track here so I'll stop. Either way I really hope we keep Smoot.

RIP Sean Taylor
elkton_redskinsfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can't get smoot what do we do. Draft a CB or get one whose left in the free agency. Or move some DBs to CB
sootedpair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go with Walt Harris and also draft one after we take a WR and DE.
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could always draft a CB, and that may well be the path we take if neither Williams nor Edwards are available, but we will not take a CB over a WR. We saw last year against the Vikings for example that the way to really manhandle passing games these days is to blitz early and blitz often. CBs just aren't as important as they once were, and I think that's why you see Gibbs and GW saying that they believe Walt Harris can handle the job. That said, I would really like to re-sign Smoot or even sign a guy like Andre Dyson, because we already know they can do the job effectively and they are much younger than Harris.
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all I think the signing of Rolle to that contract helps us in terms of getting Smoot. Rolle was sought after more, and had wanted an 14 or 15 million dollar signing bonus, and he couldn't get it. Smoot wanted 14 million, and there is no way he's going to get that from anyone, I think our deal may still be the best on the table, unless KC comes up with something better. Gibbs has said we aren't going to change our offer, so I'd say in a week or so we probably resign smoot.

If we loose him we draft a CB if Edwards and Williams are gone like e16 said, and let the rookie battle with Walt Harris for the starting job. I still think we need to take a Corner in the 4th or later rounds, even if we sign Smoot because we need a little more depth there.
skins28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep on reading about our need for corners. Walt Harris has started...and played well before. This kid Garnell Wilds can play also. We need to add a corner late rounds for depth. We need a pass rusher. Forget Erasmus James, Cody, and Pollack. The Spears guy from LSU will be around in later 1st round. We can trade down get some another day one pick and get the best pash rusher in the draft.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skins28 wrote:
Keep on reading about our need for corners. Walt Harris has started...and played well before. This kid Garnell Wilds can play also. We need to add a corner late rounds for depth. We need a pass rusher. Forget Erasmus James, Cody, and Pollack. The Spears guy from LSU will be around in later 1st round. We can trade down get some another day one pick and get the best pash rusher in the draft.

I definitely agree with you about the corners and us needing a DE. I disagree about Spears though. I haven't seen him play much, so I'm only going on what I've read. It sounds to me like he's not much of a pass rusher, but is a good run stopper. Which makes sense, seeing as how he weighs over 300 pounds. The Skins need a pass rusher though.

James would be good, but he has some history with injuries.

I'm not too big on Cody, and Pollack is probably a little too small (even though he would definitely be a Gibbs type of guy).

I think Justin Tuck is probably the best fit for us. He seems like a Kabir Gbaja-Biamila type of player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: