Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What we need it a tight end...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
O-Gun93

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: What we need it a tight end... Reply with quote

I think the Bears are going to have to get a legit tight end sometime soon. Clark is just not cutting it and his belief that he is one of the top TE's in the league doesn't help. The question then becomes, do we take a TE in the second (like Alex Smith from Stanford) or wait until later rounds and hope Matt Jones falls, which I personally don't think he will with that size and speed?
purdueman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What we need it a tight end... Reply with quote

[quote="O-Gun93"]I think the Bears are going to have to get a legit tight end sometime soon. Clark is just not cutting it and his belief that he is one of the top TE's in the league doesn't help. The question then becomes, do we take a TE in the second (like Alex Smith from Stanford) or wait until later rounds and hope Matt Jones falls, which I personally don't think he will with that size and speed?[/quote]
Only problem is, there really are only two impact TE's right now in football (3 if you count Winslow Jr. on potential): Gage of San Diego and of course Gonzalez of Kansas City.

Taking a TE with the Bears 4th round pick though if a decent prospect is still on the board wouldn't be a bad idea, but I wouldn't use either our first or second round picks on one.
CanadianBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about going after B.Franks.

He's a stark improvement over Clark.
He can block, and has soft hands in the red zone.
dacoach13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i disagree about there being 2 impact te's in the league, i would add heap, shockey, and whitten to that list but thats not my point, i couldnt agree more with the idea of the bears getting an quality te, but the problem is that becht and f. jones are the only decent fa te's (franks was franchised, i believe) and they are not top tier. heath miller is the only te of real value in this draft class, and unless you trade down, he's not an option. i do really like matt jones's potential but im not sure if he could step right in at te and contribute this year, but if he's there in the 4th, he is worth a shot there.
DABEARS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there are definitlely more than 2 impact t-ends. every good team has an impact player at the position - look at detroit - they could throw it deep but harrington had no one to throw to short yardage and that is what cost them last year and his stats. I would love to see someone like ben watson, last years patriots 2nd 1st rounder - hes fast and a big prescence - but hes third on their depth chart at the position - i wonder if they would trade him for our 2nd rounder considering he was injured last season - he would give the bears another weapon. the colts have 2 tes that are better than any of ours too - thats gives them the complete attack. just my thoughts as a big fan of t ends. they will probably give clark a chance to prove himself with an established quarterback this year.
dacoach13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watson would be ideal but with as much as the pats use their te's and fauria getting older, i cant see them parting with him.
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alex Smith and Kevin Everett would both be great additions to our offense but figuring we have no 3rd round pick and many other needs to fill with our only 2nd rounder I dont think it is possible.

If we end up trading down in either of the first 2 rounds then I think it may happen. I like Everett a lot and I think he can be the type of TE we can pick up in the late 2nd round and would stretch defenses like we need.

I also think Bubba Franks would be a good option jsut because of his good run blocking and him being a solid red zone threat
USNinc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good TE is a QB's best friend.
Problem is that you just don't know if a rookie TE will get it done.
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated earlier - there are only a few BIG time TEs in the league. Clark will never be that, but he can be good enough to snag 40-50 passes and 5-6 TDs this year. It all depends on how the offense flows... which, of course, is dependent on the O-line. I like the pickup of Miller but we still need a good guard. Once the line can open holes and give Grossman time it becomes very easy for a TE to get into the flow of the game each week and put up some decent numbers.
DABEARS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah too bad i wanted pollard too but the lions got him - and they got kennoy kennedy - they could be good and competition for us next year.
TrueRedskin05

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure if you guys have a 2nd round pick i think you do and i think that heath miller might not get drafted in the first round so you got the 4th pick in round 2 and you can pick him up or go after b. franks
Ryno53

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: TE or Bust Reply with quote

Anyone know what round Antonio Gates fell to???

$20 says Heath Miller will be a bust. Alex Smith might be tempting if he falls to the second round.

I still think we should give Clark/Lyman one last try. If they suck this year, there's always next year where I think Todd Heap and Randy McMicheal are FA's. Not sure though.
dacoach13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonio gates was undrafted since he never played college fb. i have been preaching upgrading te for two years. des clark needs to go away, all we here about is what he can do and then during the season he does nothing. and lyman hurts himself putting his pads on. i do like heath miller and while he wont be tony g, i think he can produce like a crumpler or franks, just down from the top te's. that being said, i dont think he is an option for the bears, barring a trade down. but i do think that someone ike leheigh's adam bergen, who has good size, athletic ability, and looked good catching the ball at the combine might be a find in the 5th. sadly, i dont think we will use the 2nd on a te (miller wont be around), so a later pick might be all that gets done.
The Revolution

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf why didnt they even try for pollard
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: