Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins working on a deal with Smoot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueRedskin05

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Redskins working on a deal with Smoot Reply with quote

looks like the redskins are working on a long term deal with Fred Smoot not Samari rolle rolle looks like he will sign with KC soon and Fred smoot will get a signing bonus of around 10mill
Redskins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we either keep Smoot or sign Rolle I'll be happy.

Oh well, we're Dogs of War to slate Dan Snyder for the $10m bonus and troll the forum?

RIP Sean Taylor
sootedpair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins wrote:
As long as we either keep Smoot or sign Rolle I'll be happy.

Oh well, we're Dogs of War to slate Dan Snyder for the $10m bonus and troll the forum?

We may get our share of trolls in here, but I don't think DOW is one of them.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't changed anything about our original offer have we? I think it is still on the table from when Fred Smoot rejjected it the first time. We need to be careful that the Ravens don't grab him, they just lost Baxter to the Browns who just lost Anthony.

The Redskins wont budge on the bonus number b/c they dont want to pay more to Smoot then the 10m sbonus they gave to Springs, the teams #1 corner.

I think we are in trouble unless Smoot is willing to take less then someone else is offering to come back.
e16bball

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah apparently the Skins are standing firm on that $10M bonus thing. I hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the [inappropriate/removed] like it did with Pierce. We wouldn't pay him more than we paid Washington, and thus ended up losing him. If we lose both Pierce and Smoot due to that somewhat idiotic notion, it will have been a fairly bad offseason in my book. Especially since we just traded our number 1 receiver for a number 2 receiver and a big cap hit.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
Yeah apparently the Skins are standing firm on that $10M bonus thing. I hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the *** like it did with Pierce. We wouldn't pay him more than we paid Washington, and thus ended up losing him. If we lose both Pierce and Smoot due to that somewhat idiotic notion, it will have been a fairly bad offseason in my book. Especially since we just traded our number 1 receiver for a number 2 receiver and a big cap hit.

I don't think Pierce's deal had anything to do with Washington. The Skins matched it, but they couldn't front load it like the Giants did, so he took the Giants deal. I think that's basically the same thing we did to the Jets to get Coles.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would smoot go with 10 mill when baxter got 10.5 and lucas got 13 mill? smoot is better than anthony henry and baxter and maybe lucas too, i hope and think that the ravens will nab him.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
e16bball

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sootedpair- I read somewhere and I've forgotten where, that the Skins refused to pay Pierce more than $24M for 6 years, which is what they paid Washington. He probably would have re-signed for that (since he only got $26M for that same period from the giants) but the front-loading is what made the Giants offer more interesting. We just couldn't afford to front-load a contract, but we certainly could have paid more over the course of the deal than $24M, we just wouldn't. The combo of a bigger deal and more up-front is what made him sign away.

Baltimoreterp- I agree and actually I meant to mention it earlier. Smoot is the best out of those players, and should get a larger contract than any of them. I think the Redskins are thinking that the guys who are loyal will give up money to stay, and if they aren't loyal we should let them go. Unfortunately, we haven't had this team spirit very long, and it is not really pervasive and strong yet. Certainly not strong enough to get guys to give up a bucket of money to stick around. At this point, we still have to pay our guys at least market value to stay. And we apparently aren't going to do so.
elkton_redskinsfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get chewed out on this but I strongly feel that Smoot wont be back and we should run with what we got. Move harris to 2nd CB and move players like Wilds to 3rd and try to help develop him as well as Ade Jimoh. I say cut our loses and worry about it come next year.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I strongly feel that Smoot wont be back

In our current cap situation, we may not have a choice. It looks like that Coles trade is really costing us.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12529-2005Mar6.html
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way, we could always draft Rolle or Pac Man also. If they are still available.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avbanig wrote:
I feel the same way, we could always draft Rolle or Pac Man also. If they are still available.

Why not go with Walt Harris?
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we definetly can go with Harris, but everyone knows taht Harris and Springs are injury prone... and we need to bring in another young guy anyways, we just lost 2 of the games top 10 cb's in the past 2 years and they are both in their mid 20's. I think we need to adress this issue either in this years draft or next year's.

Having 2 thirty yr old corners is fine and good, be we need to bring in young talented young guys also.

It definelty not a need, but we could use more depth there, especially for the future.

Best available Player, if we are staying at the #9 position, or if we trade down! That's all I'm saying.
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard the coaching staff is very impressed with the play of Garnell Wilds. Also, we have Roosevelt Williams who has started in the past, and also Rufus Brown who is a real speed demon. I'm not really sure how much young talent we need at CB. Of course, I still really hope we can get Smoot back. Then Wilds can soon take over the nickel spot from Walt and save us some needed money in 2006.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: