Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Merriman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texansfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Merriman Reply with quote

With the moves that we have made in free agency so far, by picking up Morlon Greenwood and re-signing Seth Payne, it'll be interesting to see what we do with our selection. It's unlikely that we would actually trade up, but I think that if we could land a guy like Merriman he could really finish off our front 7.

Think about it, if we traded a 4th rounder and the 13th selection to Washington for the 9th pick, we could probably grab Merriman. Then you're talking about a front 3 of Robaire Smith, Seth Payne and Gary Walker (please Jesus, may these boys stay healthy) and then a 4 man linebacking unit of Babin, Greenwood, Sharper and Merriman. Babin and Merriman could create some real havoc coming off the ends. Then in the secondary, Glenn Earl didn't play terribly for us last year, so an immediate replacement isn't completely necessary (plus Thomas Davis ran a 4.61 at the combine, will probably be moving to LB in the NFL).

I dunno, it just seems like Merriman would be perfect for us right now. He's a freak physically, already plays in a 3-4 in college, and would fill a need. I just think in order to get him we would have to trade up past Dallas, San Diego and Detroit. Washington might even take him, so we might even have to look at trading with Arizona.
AFD1717

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: LBs Reply with quote

If they take Merriman, do they trade Wong or Peak? Those guys are too expensive and too good to ride the bench.

If they trade Posey AND Sharper then I see them taking an OLB in round 1, then moving Wong inside.

Personally, I like Carlos Rogers. They need a bigger guy to compliment Robinson, and with the way the rules are stacked now, your CBs must be able to tackle in the open field.

With their new defensive line coach, Chris Canty in the second round is as sure a thing as there is in the draft - assuming he's still there.
texan0305

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: what could go down Reply with quote

The texans are looking to trade sharper and also foreman, so if they trade on of the two look for them to go inside linebacker in the first two rounds, dont look for them to go defensive line as they've invested heavily in the front 3, the texans feel as if babin is bound to progress the most in his second year, they might move wong to the inside, but if they move him to the inside and then trade sharper then you could look for them to draft an outside linebacker, or the other solution is that wong doesn't move to the inside and they trade sharper, and then draft a inside line backer, or they dont trade sharper at all keep they're line backing core and draft a second corner back (since this draft is corner back heavy) or draft a second wide out to go side by side with andre johnson, dont look for them to go o line they think that the offensive line will progress, but if the top player on there draft board is a line man on the offense they might go that route, the texans have many option it all depends on how these next few weeks pan out, but dont be surprised if they draft a corner or a wide out with the 13 pick
Idi Amin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prospects of Merriman-Babin combo is frightening...but I gotta say, I don't see Merriman falling past Minnesota.

They already picked up Pat Williams at DT, Napolean Harris at LB and are still looking for another DE to complement Udeze.

Some mocks had them taking a DT, which they won't anymore, and I just have this gut feeling that they're gonna take Merriman at #7

That said, I'd love to see him on your D with Babin on the other side, could be a very entertaining defense, lots of sacks and INTs, expecially if Walker and Payne could stay healty - WOW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: