Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive players added, draft a QB now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Defensive players added, draft a QB now? Reply with quote

Hey im back...lol

So you guys landed Baxter, added to your o-line with andruzzi and will likely make a few more desent defensive signings before the draft....sooooooo

Are you guys ready and willing to use the 3rd pick on Rogers or Smith. All of your previous reasons for not drafting one of them are out the window ( no O-line to protect him, defense is more of a need, holcomb rocks lol )

Why not grab on of these guys? Just because they went to CAL and Utah and there last names not Manning or Palmer doesn't mean there not great QB's. They both have huge upsides and are proven winners. You can still use your second and third rounders on quality defensive players...a LB and a NT.

So what do you say...?

Deadpulse on the sig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eagles1fan5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno all the variables are gone now.... No Holcomb, they better not sign Warner or B. Johnson or Dilfer. I guess it seems logical that were going to take Rodgers or Smith. The last CAL QB (Kyle Boller) that was drafted I didnt like so why not go for Alex Smith, young, is mobile...great accuracy, but doesn't have a strong arm.
LT22

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like either Rogers or Smith. To me they are 2nd round talents. I say you grab the BPA-be it Johnson to help at LB, Merriman at LB/DE, Ronnie Brown is an interesting choice at RB.

I would prefer to choose Charlie Frye or Jason Campbell in round 2 that burn a top 3 pick on a QB this year.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more. BPA is not a QB at pick 3. Now, you could justify Frye or Campbell in the second, but you still need a veteran. Savage likes Dilfer, and so do I. If we trade for him, we are most likely going to have to give up a draft pick (hopefully fourth round or later). If we draft a QB in the second, that would mean we would have to spend two of this year's draft picks on a QB. Doesn't seem smart to me.

If, and that's a big if, we do draft a QB at all this year, it should be a later round pick on the Wonderlic wizard Ryan Fitzpatrick. Romeo loves good Wonderlic scores, and Ryan got every question right (only the second player ever to do it). He's tall and has a strong arm, too. Quarterback is the one position where intelligence is almost important as athleticism.
ClevelanDawg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Couldn't agree more. BPA is not a QB at pick 3. Now, you could justify Frye or Campbell in the second, but you still need a veteran. Savage likes Dilfer, and so do I. If we trade for him, we are most likely going to have to give up a draft pick (hopefully fourth round or later). If we draft a QB in the second, that would mean we would have to spend two of this year's draft picks on a QB. Doesn't seem smart to me.

If, and that's a big if, we do draft a QB at all this year, it should be a later round pick on the Wonderlic wizard Ryan Fitzpatrick. Romeo loves good Wonderlic scores, and Ryan got every question right (only the second player ever to do it). He's tall and has a strong arm, too. Quarterback is the one position where intelligence is almost important as athleticism.

I like the Fitzpatrick idea. NO NO NO NO QB with the #3. With the help on D already signed (baxter) and more hopefully coming. .. ..and the interior o-line getting upgrades (andruzzi, coleman) the only choice is trade down for merriman or draft ronnie brown.

neither of these QBs would be top 15 picks any other year, so why compromise value for need? Get the BPA ....... Ronnie Brown.
BrownOrangeBurgundyGold

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not drafting a QB first round, with that early of a pick. We'd do better picking up Tim Couch again. We don't need more mediocre rookie QBs. We need a veteran.
frofro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree with clevelandawg Do not take a qb with the 3rd pick, i would rather trade for patriots rohan davey, Plus there are good 2nd teir QBs in the draft like mcpherson campbell and even david greene or fitzpatrick
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

Savage told Harris and McCown he would like to see them to fight it out for the 3rd spot. They might fight it out for the second, becuase as of now, it's for the first. Things will change by draft day, though.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a good veteran.. Brad Johnson would be the only one I'd like... Jay Fiedler... Hmmm.... he def. sucks... Trent Dilfer... hasnt started a game in so long... I dont even think he would know what to do...

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this has already been addressed but I will add my 2 cents. The primary reason that I didn't want the Browns to draft. a QB is and always has been because I don't believe these guys are worth the 3rd pick. I just don't see either of them being a very good NFL QB. That is the reason we shouldn't draft them. While I also thought that a bigger need is on the offensive line, linebacker, cornerback, defensive line and punter. That really put QB low on my list.
ThunderDawg27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

Yo CP, welcome back. Nice to see u making your arguments around here again...lol.

First of all CP, i really don't know whether us Browns fans should be excited or not, cuz based on your post, u make it sound like the Browns have already re-structured this team and are easily prepared to get another QB. Yeah gettin Andruzzi and Baxter were great signings for us, but is Savage's job done yet? No... And even after the Browns do their best to sign other FA's, Drafting Rodgers or Smith still might not happen.

Secondly, if Rodgers and Smith are so great like your sayin they are, why are San Fran, Miami, and Cleveland wanting so bad to trade down? Why are all the experts sayin its best for those teams to trade down? Why is everyone saying that this draft has no clear cut #1? Now, don't get me wrong, i like Rodgers and Smith, and they both are talented and had great college careers, but if they were that good, one of them would be a lock right now to be taken by San Fran, and even Miami at #2, but they're not...

Look, if the Browns drafted one of those guys, would i be upset? No. Even if they draft one of them, they're not going to start right away, just like if the Browns were to draft Frye or Campbell in the 2nd or 3rd. Dilfer's most likely gonna start next season, so it won't matter. If i had a choice, i would choose Rodgers because he's got the stronger arm, and can throw the ball downfield, which soots Crennel's offense nicely. Smith is more of a West Coast guy, who may not have as strong an arm as Rodgers, but is accurate in his throws.

I will say this though... If Savage and Crennel do draft Rodgers, Smith, or any other QB, then they must believe he's the guy for this franchise, and i've got faith in their decisions, and why shouldn't i or any other Browns fan with what they've done already 4 days into FA.

-ThunderDawg27
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drafting a QB is not an option now.... at least in the 1st two rounds that is

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Thunder.

I feel we could do so much more for our team getting one of two players at pick 3, and neither are QBs. If we get Cosey Coleman (an offer has been made), I would actually be in favor of getting a QB. But not in the first two rounds. That is where we need defensive playmakers (or Ronnie Brown, if he's there). Wink
ThunderDawg27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

Hey ditchdigger, u said the Browns made Cosey Coleman an offer? U got a source on that? If so, wats the offer? If we get Coleman, the O-Line, as least FOR NOW, will be solidified.

-ThunderDawg27
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is CC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: