Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Turner's new "run oriented" offense & Aaron Gi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purdueman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Turner's new "run oriented" offense & Aaron Gi Reply with quote

Help me out here...

Something that I don't really get. Beheamouth (that is, he's a "load"), Aaron Gibson gave us a very credible and ever improving 16 games as our starting ROT in 2003, then a new coaching staff came in and John Tait was signed as the new starting ROT because Shea's west coast offense required that both starting tackles be equally multi-skilled (Gibson's best skill being that of a run clearing/blocking tackle).

Now we're in 2005 and Tait's being moved to LT and the competition is open at ROT with hopes being largely pinned on the thusfar injury prone and disappointing Marc Colombo.

My question is, why not resign Aaron Gibson (Angelo has already said he's going to let him walk via free agency)? When Gibson pulls, he takes out half the damn defense on run plays and if we're going to run more than pass and still have so many question marks as to who's going to quarterback this year (making the run even that much more important), who do we have (backup or regular), right now who's more suited to that kind of an offense??? Question
dacoach13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we still have to see what fa and the draft hold for the o-line, but i would have no objection to re-signing gibson, but i would put him at guard for the reason that while you very accurately stated that he does take out most of eastern europe when he pulls, he isnt a very good pass blocker. he gets beat easily by a rusher with any sort of speed and he also tires out very easily. i think that at guard he can focus on his strength of run blocking and not have to move as much in pass protection, what do you think?
purdueman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dacoach13"]well we still have to see what fa and the draft hold for the o-line, but i would have no objection to re-signing gibson, but i would put him at guard for the reason that while you very accurately stated that he does take out most of eastern europe when he pulls, he isnt a very good pass blocker. he gets beat easily by a rusher with any sort of speed and he also tires out very easily. i think that at guard he can focus on his strength of run blocking and not have to move as much in pass protection, what do you think?[/quote]
When Aaron was playing at a reported 385 pounds he did tend to run out of gas towards the end of the game, but last year he reported in the best shape of his life and devoid of his nagging shoulder problems, but didn't have a place to play.

If he reported in that kind of shape again, I think he'd be as good or better than either a postion shifting Q or a "ya never know what you're going to get on any given Sunday" Columbo.

You're idea about moving him to guard though is intriguing, but as far as I know he's never played guard either collegiately or in the pros... that would make him a "project" and maybe that's why Angelo is willing to let him go. Our oline had had enough problems in 2004 as is without constantly moving guys around.

The left side of the line is set with Tait, Brown and Olin... but the right side of the line is scary. Tucker's never returned to anywhere near the level he played at when he was an all pro in 2002 and can't seem to stay healthy. Columbo is a big question mark and Q. will be trying his third position in two years.

In order for a line (o or d), to be effective, they have to learn to work as a unit and I'm just not comfortable at all right now with 2/5ths of the starting oline being full of question marks.

I think that we all would like to see a new veteran tackle signed to take over ROT with Columbo and Q and Edwards as reserves, but do the Bears have the cap space to make that happen and is there somebody better than big Aaron Gibson out there that's available?

The tackle from Arizona is free to make his own deal (i.e., trade), and is said to favor the Bears, but last I read Tampa had the inside track and more cap space available to sign him. Maybe Angelo's expecting a bunch of more guys though to be released on June 1st (the annual date for gaining cap relief on released veterans), and after the draft when some teams may wind up with a surplus if they can draft who they're hoping to get.

Bottom line is that Gibson's been a 16 game starter, both Columbo and Tucker are questionable physically and Metcalf has never proven that he can play on game day when it counts. We need more depth at oline and Gibson is a better bet than the three guys I just named to be available and ready to play in an entire 16 game championship season.

Only thing I can think of is that Gibson has some kind of a physical ailment that the Bears are concerned about or aren't disclosing because he wouldn't cost that much to retain.
DABEARS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah he has a physical ailment - hes too freakin fat!! lol
purdueman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DABEARS"]yeah he has a physical ailment - hes too freakin fat!! lol[/quote]
He used to be fat, now he's just a load. He reported to camp last year in the best shape of his life or he would have been cut then. No, he's never going to have a chiseled physique, but like another poster posted earlier on this thread, once he gets moving on a run block the guy can take out half of Europe in his wake!
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has to be something going on behind the scenes if Angelo is jsut going to let Gibson go, with all the question marks we have on our Offensive line.

My guess is he wont be making much money and there is a chance that he could still turn out to be an serviceable tackle, it jsut doesnt add up.
purdueman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BoKnowsFootball"]There has to be something going on behind the scenes if Angelo is jsut going to let Gibson go, with all the question marks we have on our Offensive line.

My guess is he wont be making much money and there is a chance that he could still turn out to be an serviceable tackle, it jsut doesnt add up.[/quote]
Just a hunch, but I don't think that there's anything wrong with Gibson; I just think that for whatever reason Lovie Smith doesn't like him.
lance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Columbo is a big guy. He was playing some at the end of last year. He hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet, due to injuries. He may be a serious contender for long term answer to RT if he is working hard enough to regain strength.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: