Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2 overlooked free agents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: 2 overlooked free agents Reply with quote

WR Kevin Johnson-Doesn't have the great height at 5'11", but a very productive wideout. He is very strong with a physical game. Johnson is very polished in his route running and has awesome hands. He doesn't run as fast as his forty time, but still fast enought to be a very good vertical threat. A decent blocker who could be better. Main drawback is that he does tend to slack off sometimes and doesn't really work as hard as he can. Johnson would be a below average no. 1 or an elite no. 2. If he only worked hard everytime out, he would be a taller, more physcial version of Deion Branch. Nonetheless, he would be a fantastic pickup for the bears. And I think he could be had for 1.5 mil a year.

OT Oliver Ross- Played well on the right side for the Steelers. He is never going to be the dominating run blocker or pass protector, but what he can give you is stability at both. Something the bears could use, especiall with their roster stuffed with run blocking dominators but less than adequate pass protectors. he can also move inside and and play at guard. He might be available for 1.5 mil also, but that's because he ain't the freshest face on the block knocking on 31.
ta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not want the Bears to pick up Kevin Johnson. He had off the field problems in Cleveland that led to him being released during the middle of the season a couple of years ago. Although I agree with you that he could make an excellent #2 receiver for someone, I would prefer it if the Bears passed on him and possibly looked to someone else (ie. Joey Galloway.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galloway has had hamstring problems/injuries the past two seasons and he is nearing 33. For a speed guy, hamstring injuries are your worst enemy. Would have been a good choice 3-4 years ago, but now he's kind of a joke at No. 2 receiver.
ta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point about Galloway... I had forgotten about his hamstring. What do you about Troy Edwards from Jacksonville. He might be another consideration.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troy edwards would be a decent pick, a little old, but good cheap sign nonetheless.
DABEARS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a deep threat i think though and thats what we need.
dacoach13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i completely agree that k.johnson is another headache we dont need. i wasnt aware ross was a fa, is he restricted or ufa?
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Johnson did not have off field problems here he didnt get along with Butch Davis...period He would be a good 2nd reciever for you guys coaches around here said he had the best hands of any reciever they had ever seen.His biggest problem is that he isnt really big or really fast but with the way the rules changed last year he could return to the form he showed his first couple years in the league.You have to give him a hall pass for last year since he played for the ravens.
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't think about this before, but he woudn't fit. We already have a great possession receiver in muhammad, johnson is of the same mold but in a smaller outfit. We need a deep threat to counter balance moose. Maybe Braylon in the first wouldn't be a bad idea after all. I love williams and i still think he would be more dominate, but edwards is just as good and faster, a perfect complement to the newly signed muhammad. Williams would be simlar to TO and Edwards is comparable to a bigger Torry Holt. Either pick would not be bad. I also heard that teams are moving up to snatch Brown. Bears better think wide receiver then. running back in 2nd though.
delakev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing that Braylon is a deep threat. Problem is he doesn't run precise routes and has a knack for dropping balls. Something that can not be tolerated in the NFL. You need more than speed to get open in the NFL. Timing between a QB and WR is more important than burner speed, the QB has to have confidence in his reciever to know that he will run the route and be open by the time the ball is hitting the target. Besides I believe that Berrian will be our deep threat.

Thanks so much Scar!!
SlidellSaint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 overlooked free agents Reply with quote

potentia_ceteri wrote:
WR Kevin Johnson-Doesn't have the great height at 5'11", but a very productive wideout. He is very strong with a physical game. Johnson is very polished in his route running and has awesome hands. He doesn't run as fast as his forty time, but still fast enought to be a very good vertical threat. A decent blocker who could be better. Main drawback is that he does tend to slack off sometimes and doesn't really work as hard as he can. Johnson would be a below average no. 1 or an elite no. 2. If he only worked hard everytime out, he would be a taller, more physcial version of Deion Branch. Nonetheless, he would be a fantastic pickup for the bears. And I think he could be had for 1.5 mil a year.

OT Oliver Ross- Played well on the right side for the Steelers. He is never going to be the dominating run blocker or pass protector, but what he can give you is stability at both. Something the bears could use, especiall with their roster stuffed with run blocking dominators but less than adequate pass protectors. he can also move inside and and play at guard. He might be available for 1.5 mil also, but that's because he ain't the freshest face on the block knocking on 31.

Bears wont get Johnson. Mushin is far better, and they already have Mushin!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: