You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers close to a new deal with Gross?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davlar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
It'd be a pretty un-selfish act on his part to sign a contract this soon before free agency. I'm betting Peppers is in his ear NOT to sign it before then!

He'd be doing the Panthers a huge favor by getting this done before the end of the week (the 19th is the deadline for franchising right?). I think by waiting until FA starts he could drive his own price up a bit.

Interesting to watch this unfold.

The difference is, Gross wants to stay in Carolina. Although he and Pep have probably talked a little, I'm sure Gross just wants his agent Carl Carey to iron out the deal. Despite Peppers publicly stating he wants to leave, he did say that he didn't want to leave the team in a bad situation or something along those lines. He'll receive the tag and be traded, just as he requested if he were to be tagged.

I'll be checking online every few hours for updates! Very Happy

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!
A-bizzle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gross is a Top 10 OT for sure. I think many Carolina fans will tell you that Gross isn't even the best lineman on our team...Wharton, our LG, is. But, re-signing Gross keeps our offense intact for next season.
3.) Cam Newton wins ROTY
SmittySmurf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-bizzle wrote:
Gross is a Top 10 OT for sure. I think many Carolina fans will tell you that Gross isn't even the best lineman on our team...Wharton, our LG, is. But, re-signing Gross keeps our offense intact for next season.

Agreed. We also had to keep the other 31 vultures from stealing him away. I'm sure if we can't get a deal done we will franchise Gross. But most of the money is to keep him from becoming a free agent. It also helps that Gross hardly ever misses a game.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davlar wrote:

The difference is, Gross wants to stay in Carolina. Although he and Pep have probably talked a little, I'm sure Gross just wants his agent Carl Carey to iron out the deal. Despite Peppers publicly stating he wants to leave, he did say that he didn't want to leave the team in a bad situation or something along those lines. He'll receive the tag and be traded, just as he requested if he were to be tagged.

I'll be checking online every few hours for updates! Very Happy

I believe Gross wants to stay in Carolina. I'm not doubting that. BUT - he could definitely up his paycheck simply by waiting to sign until FA starts. It all depends on what he values more I guess, benefitting his team (signing early) or benefiting himself (waiting until FA). It probably all depends on what some possible *whispers* are that other teams would be willing to pay Gross. I'm sure his agent has an idea of what he'd make coming up here. If the Panthers are close to that in their offer, Gross might decide to help the team out and sign so they can franchise Peppers.

It will be interesting to see how to works out!
Jbizzle69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Jbizzle69 wrote:
Am I the only person out there that thinks that Gross is a little bit over rated ?

I don't think he's worth $9mm at all. He's just the biggest OT name in a weak weak OT FA class.

He got OWNED in the playoffs against the Cardinals.

No he didn't. Delhomme did. And even if he did, that's one game. He is a top 5 OT in the NFL.

There were actually a few games this year in which Gross didnt look too good, including their playoff game. Delhomme sucked, yes, but Gross didnt play well at all in the playoff game.

Everyone bashes Max Starks of the Steelers...Gross had more penalties this year alone than Starks had in his entire career.

Not saying Starks is better, but Gross is a bit overrated on here. Definitely not a top 5 OT in this league, and maybe not even top 10.

Thank you, it's about time someone brings some reason to this forum.

I don't think that Gross is a bad player, just a tad over rated.

Thanks PatsDynasty21 for the sig.

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XLIII Champions!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbizzle69 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Jbizzle69 wrote:
Am I the only person out there that thinks that Gross is a little bit over rated ?

I don't think he's worth $9mm at all. He's just the biggest OT name in a weak weak OT FA class.

No he didn't. Delhomme did. And even if he did, that's one game. He is a top 5 OT in the NFL.

There were actually a few games this year in which Gross didnt look too good, including their playoff game. Delhomme sucked, yes, but Gross didnt play well at all in the playoff game.

Everyone bashes Max Starks of the Steelers...Gross had more penalties this year alone than Starks had in his entire career.

Not saying Starks is better, but Gross is a bit overrated on here. Definitely not a top 5 OT in this league, and maybe not even top 10.

Im not hating on him. I like both Gross and Carolina, but people talk about him as if he is elite, and he isnt. Id love to have him on the Steelers, but I would not pay him the type of money he is probably going to get.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Jbizzle69 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Jbizzle69 wrote:

Im not hating on him. I like both Gross and Carolina, but people talk about him as if he is elite, and he isnt. Id love to have him on the Steelers, but I would not pay him the type of money he is probably going to get.

I agree with everything you said here.

Thanks PatsDynasty21 for the sig.

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XLIII Champions!
atown703

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we resign Gross long term and tag/trade Peppers, I'll be happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmittySmurf wrote:
A-bizzle wrote:

Agreed. We also had to keep the other 31 vultures from stealing him away. I'm sure if we can't get a deal done we will franchise Gross. But most of the money is to keep him from becoming a free agent. It also helps that Gross hardly ever misses a game.

31 vultures? HA. Denver wants nothing to do with Gross, make that 30 Vultures
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_rent87 wrote:
SmittySmurf wrote:
A-bizzle wrote:

31 vultures? HA. Denver wants nothing to do with Gross, make that 30 Vultures

Very Happy I like Gross, but to say "he needs to work on his false starts" in a thread about him getting $9 million a year is rather funny to me.

MUFC OK
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbizzle69 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Jbizzle69 wrote:

Quote:
Every year salaries go up. Every year we all get hit with sticker shock. In 2 years, after two more cap increases and two more years worth of signings, the Gross deal won't be worth noticing.

Honestly, is there an offseason where we haven't all heard "He is good, but he isn't worth that much" when discussing most big signings?

What I said wasn't reasonable? Really? Why not?

7DnBrnc53-"Brady is the perfect QB for Belichick: Someone who isn't very talented, but is a good leader and can play well in the structure of his offense."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: