Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Franchise Nate and Trade for 1st Round pick? Won't happen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footballhottie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Franchise Nate and Trade for 1st Round pick? Won't happen Reply with quote

Many bills fans assume the FO can/will franchis Nate and trade him for a 1st Round pick. This won't happen. His play his year has been shaky at times. Just because Tom Donahoe was able to trade Peerless Price 2 years ago to the Falcons for a 1st Round pick it doesn't mean he(or a new gm) can do it again. Why? The Falcons were foolish to make that trade. Nate Clements will either leave as a FA, or the bills will franchise tag him, and he will be a bill in 2006.
Buff Naked

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why we would want to trade Nate. Apparently his cap hit would be a little over 5 million and we would still be in good cap shape.

It's kind of like the stock market. Sell high and buy low. Right now Nate's value is low. Lets give him another year and then think about trading him.
FLBill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cap number is more in the tune of 10-12 million. Woodson was franchised last year and it cost about 10.5-.8 and this year it would be 12 million with the Franchise raise built in.

If Nate could be signed for 5 million I'd keep him but after that he starts to get expensive for his poor play this year.
dabs21nike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they've already said that the franchise tag for CB's will be about $5.5 million this year. Woodson cost $10 million because he was franchised multiple years in a row and needed a 10% increase each year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Jets fan, I would love if the Bills let him test the Free Agent market. One of two good things would happen: He would sign with another team probably outside of the division so the Jets wouldnt have to see him twice a year, or the Jets would clear up cap room and sign him. I believe that Clements is one of the top 5 CB's in the league. I dont think DB's should be rated by stats. Teams that are smart dont throw to their side so you hardly ever see Champ Bailey (with the exception of this year), or Chris McAllister with a lot of picks. Law only got 2 or 3 INT's on plays where he read the QB. All the others were pass deflections. I still give him credit though. The Bills would be foolish not to lock up Clements long term.
NCAA BB: U of Arizona <Brandon Jennings '09>
NCAA FB: U of Arizona <Rob Gradkowski>
DenVerGuY66

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys could you help us out we nedd a few more guys
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38244&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

_BlueQuickSilver on the sig
Russell2Bailey wrote:
Jesus walks on water, Chuck Norris walks on jesus, and Tim Tebow walks on chuck norris. Laughing
twistdprodigy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: clements Reply with quote

clements should only be locked up for one year, reason being good DBs become great with a ferocious pass rush. And a good set of DBs with a great pass rush can do wonders for a team, NE doesnt really have any shut down cover guys at this time they have a decent D.....I think scheme and perssure have a lot more to do with how good a DB is compared to shut down or just good. Besides 70 sacks a year usually get teams to try to not throw as much or take as many chances downfield because of passrush. I would think a 2nd or 3rd round DB as a nickel for a year and then let em start, trade clements next year.....get 2 picks
ozzyop33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one thing that needs to be said about the rumor about this deal is that when peerless price was traded he was a hot commodity and he went to a team looking for a #1 wide out, but he went to a team that has a sporadic offense and he didnt get the ball enough. i have the sleeper of the year in the nfl draft and i would LOVE if the bills got him ANTONIO CROMARTE CB FLORIDA STATE he has had knee troubles but he can return kicks and is a great lockdown corner, so get rid of clements and get cromatrie is my plan
twistdprodigy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: clements Reply with quote

people who follow the draft much more franatically then just casual always think they have the ultimate sleeper.....yet no one thought brady would be a 3 time superbowl winner. Clements had a crappy year. On top of that the teams looking for top DBs aren't drafting that high and might not be all that willing to pay for Clements. San Diego who wants a lock down corner might not want to see him same with GB, Detroit, New Orleans, NYJ, Oakland to replace Woodson, St Louis, San Francisco, and Pittsburgh....All those need a lock down corner, maybe pittsburgh if Clements had a contract that fit them or maybe St Louis, but it's not likely anyone will really be willing to give up a first, let alone anything more than a first for Clements. At least not at this point with a lot to be learned about what's really available in the draft, at least at the moment Clements is probably a Bill for at least one more year.
NVasher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send Clements to the BEARS! It would put our defense on a whole new level.
jumper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Bills francised clements, who ever wants him has to give up a first rounder at least. Clements did have a bad year for him, but I think it was becuase he tried to hard so he could get the big pay day. Somebody will pay the price for a proven commadity, who you know will great rather than take a chance on some kid comeing out of collage. Either way nate is going to get paid.
mr_pappagorgio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Cap cost Reply with quote

To franchise Clements it will cost 5.89 million, a very reasonable number. What's more likely than Nate leaving is one of the for LBs leaving (Cromwell, Posey, Fletcher, Spikes). The Bills need a top CB and getting one at under 6 mil is worth keeping him. What they don't need is 4 good LBs when playing a 4-3. They would be much better served clearing some cap space at LB and using that dough to get a long term solution at safety or to upgrade the DL.
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, how will Nate Clements respond to getting the franchise tag? Will he be a locker room cancer? I know he won't be happy about it because he wants a long term deal. He will probably go to a team that will give him the long term deal that he wants.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzyop33 wrote:
the one thing that needs to be said about the rumor about this deal is that when peerless price was traded he was a hot commodity and he went to a team looking for a #1 wide out, but he went to a team that has a sporadic offense and he didnt get the ball enough. i have the sleeper of the year in the nfl draft and i would LOVE if the bills got him ANTONIO CROMARTE CB FLORIDA STATE he has had knee troubles but he can return kicks and is a great lockdown corner, so get rid of clements and get cromatrie is my plan

You can't just replace a top 5 corner with a rookie. This is not Madden NFL 200x!!!!!! If you look at this http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/history/awards/apdroy , the NFL DROTY has only been a cornerback 6 times in the last 38 years and only twice in the last 28 years. Get real!

No way will the Steelers trade for Clements if he wants to be a top paid corner. They're gonna pay Ike Taylor this year and Polamalu in two years. Plus, Bryant McFadden didn't allow a TD all year as the Nickleback and he might be ready to start. Don't even get me into their philosophy about not paying for top FAs...

Hopefully, Clements is willing to be franchised this year. Maybe the Bills can put a clause in his contract where he is promised he won't be franchised again (Shaun Alexander clause). If they are pursuing a trade, the Giants might be a good place. They might loose Will Allen in free agency and had terrible pass defense all year, despite getting great pressure on the QB from Umenyiora and Strahan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: