Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Superbowl or Bust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Armyscout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Superbowl or Bust Reply with quote

I have been a long time fan of the Saints. I know how crazy this might sound, but I feel strongly about this topic. The Saints fans and the Crescent City deserve a title. So, What does it take to get the Saints to the superbowl? I think this team is alot closer than most would believe. To me the mixture this year of FA and draft prospects with what the Saints already have could do this.

QB - I love Brooks charisma, but his on field decisions have reached a plateau. So I think what we need is a veteran QB with good working knowledge of WCO.
answer- Warner or Garcia

LB-Grab a veteran MLB like Trotter or Bell and use the 1st round on the best available LB(impact player).

TE-Resign Hall

CB-Our backfield is another needy place. Definately go after one of the top FA corners like Law, Rolle, or Smoot. and draft a corner in round 2 from the great amounts of hot new talent.

WR-I think we have a great stable of receivers. Horn is a leader and will make sure his protege's are at their best so to take some of the double coverage off of him so he can continue to be the best receiver in the NFL.

RB- Deuce is the Key to making this work. He has to stay healthy. If the FS is not cheating up too scared to be burned down field, It will be a record year for him and most likely a pro bowl year.
DeuceFan26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on most of what you said but i disagree that Warner or Garcia would do any better than Brooks, Brooks makes bad decisions, he costs us games, but he is still a much better QB than Garcia or Warner, I don't think we need 2 corners either, McKenzie is a great corner and if we get a big FA there is no reason to draft one, we already have a MLB, Watson is a starter and should stay, go after a FA OLB or draft a starter, but you didn't even mention the biggest need which is the offensive line, we don't have a RT and could improve some other line spots. we also need a better FS but Tebucky is decent enough.
Armyscout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is why the saints have never made it. It is that at the 2 positions that make football teams great or not(The QB and the MLB) the saints always settle for medocrity. Look at all the great teams. QB and MLB are the stars and leaders. WE don't just need starters...we need leaders.

In response to the specific positions.
You are absolutely correct pointing out that I left out OG in needs. IT is critical that we solidify that o line for whoever is taking the snap.

Having that young 3rd CB, 2 great starters and someone that can play nickel and also back-up.

With that 1st round pick, solidify the LB corp with the best available. obviously not grabbing a MLB if we sign a Trotter or Bell.

Tebucky is very solid at the Safety spot. I applaud the mgmt for resigning him.
DeuceFan26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever watched Tebucky? he misses assignments far too often to be starting, as for mediocrity at the QB and MLB, did you watch Trotter when he left the Eagles, he was mediocre at best, and Bell is one of the best but is injury prone, Watson was a rookie and played very well, given a little time he could be great.
Warner is no better than mediocre and Garcia is terrible, a pure system guy, if we want to get rid of Brooks we should draft a young athletic QB and not take an aging veteran who we would be forced to overpay for. There is no problem with drafting a corner but going after one of the FA's would cost way too much, and you didn't mention RT which is the biggest need on the team period, we don't even have a starting RT on the roster.
bnthall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: U all are close, but no cigar :D Reply with quote

Fellas, the offense is fine but something definitely has to be done about QB Brooks. All of the physical skills at the position and some of the mental skills are nothing more than an antedote for inconsistency; it's either all or nothing. TheY have a poor Defensive rating soley because of the past 3 drafts: never taking a top-shelf DB. They didn't even try to in rounds 2-3! Now, if you go back and review those drafts u'll find a number of them available w/i the parameters. Is it the head-coach's bias or the scouting dept? If you can discourage the passing w/aggressive DB's teams will ultimately become 1 dimensional and run, thus allowing the front 7 to play with a greater objective: run stopping. With that said, they should draft an elite DB (CB, FS, or SS) and let Hodges, Watson and the remaining 5 continue to play together. Their short RCB needs to be move to nickel and they need to place a better safety beside their stand-out, regardless how good of a season he had. Also, it wouldn't hurt to land a superstar MLB.
DeuceFan26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it doesn't really help to force a team to run when the Saints had the worst overall defense and were 30th against the run, forcing them to run would not have helped much. We do need to draft a CB in the 1-2 round but only if we get a RT in FA, and we need to try to trade brooks for a 2nd round pick and use that to draft a franchise QB for the future. I agree the offense doesn't need much help other than the line, but we have to improve everywhere but DE on defense. You guys aren't giving Courtney Watson the respect he deserves at MLB he only played half the year and was playing very welldon't put him back on the bench and get an older guy, yet. We need a good OLB, and a good FS, a young CB, and anyone other than Brooks and I think we will have a chance to have a great year.
jimfrotch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true what they say- we all bleed black and gold...but some of us are AB positive and some of us are AB negative.
I like Aaron. I saw Farve AND McNabb have worse games last year than AB had.(but I do like Kliff Kingsbury to take over in 2 years)
As for free agency, I feel we should only spend high dollar on a LB. I'd like to see us get RT Fred Miller and at least we're talking to him. I don't know that they've contacted ANY LBs yet. It would be shocking to me if a guy like Ty Law or Fred Smoot were to be signed. They just don't have the guts. If we do pick up a starting-type CB, we could still draft DB.
There are CB/S conversion-type players like Marlin Jackson and Brandon Browner in the draft who would be perfectly suited for the Saints. (we need help and youth in both areas)
DeuceFan26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love Browner, a huge quick beast of a CB/S, great size and he is putting on the weight to play safety, that is my guy, if we could trade around and get him.
Armyscout

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Aaron. I saw Farve AND McNabb have worse games last year than AB had. (Jim Frotch)

Had to reply to that.... Farve is sporting a few rings and Philly got to the dance. YEah Mcnabb had a terrible game called the superbowl, but AB was sitting at home watching just like all the saints fans.

I am now really hoping that Smith falls in our laps for the 1st pick. At least Brooks will be put on check to win or get out of the way. IF we had Smith on the bench this year, Brooks would have been benched half way thru the season.
DeuceFan26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with Brokks isn't just on the field he is also an idiot off the field. He said he was a great player and that Delhomme was a good player, from what i have seen he isn't any better than Delhomme and he makes way worse decisions than i have ever seen Delhomme make. Also great players don't throw games away and miss the playoffs 4 years in a row, especially when they have a talents=ed offense like the Saints do. He should be traded or cut and just start with a team guy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: