Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs fan - why the 4-3? And what do you think of Hartwell?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Chiefs fan - why the 4-3? And what do you think of Hartwell? Reply with quote

Chiefs fan here. I have a question about your defense. I have read that Billick is reportedly going back to a more tradtional 4-3 defense. My question is why? You guys have unquestionably the best linebacking unit in the NFL, but now that the Ravens will employ the 4-3, it doesn't look like Edgerton Hartwell is going to be resigned. In my opinion he is one of the best young middle linebackers in the NFL. I am hoping the Chiefs will sign him to immediately add a veteran presence and playmaker at middle linebacker. Why are the Ravens going to the 4-3 and what do you guys think about Hartwell?
mic79e

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the switch is because the Ravens feel it's unlikely that they will be able to re-sign Hartwell because of the money other teams will offer him. They are assuming that they won't be able to re-sign him at a price they can afford to pay (remember they already have a lot of money invested in linebackers) and therefore they will be better suited to play more 4-3.

In short: If they don't have Hartwell then they think they are better of playing in a 4-3.
Swedishraven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he haven't exactly said we will turn to a 4-3 but rather that we will use more 4 man fronts. Our new DC Rex Ryan says he intend to mix it up with several different formations. That said here's some reasons for the change:

1. Ed Hartwell will probably be to expensive to keep. We have a lot of money tied up in the linebacker position with Ray, Boulware and Suggs so paying top money to Hartwell would be difficult when we need to adress the Offense.

2. Mike Nolan, our former DC, is gone and he was the biggest advocate of the 3-4. His replacement Rex Ryan used to be our D-line coach and likes to switch things up a little more.

3. Our D-line is a bit undersized for the 3-4 which showed when we played against some of the elite O-lines (like KC this year and the Titans in the playoffs last year) So with 4 guys up front they should be able to handle those lines better.

Hartwell is an excellent run stopper but he struggles in coverage. He really wants to be the nr 1 guy and he knows that he will never be that here with Ray Lewis. He even complained about Ray getting credit for his tackles this year. So i think it's time to let him go.

Last edited by Swedishraven on Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
nicfre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring up some good points about your defense. One linebacker I was wondering about is Adalius Thomas...he has really good size (270 lbs). I know he is an outside linebacker, but could he move inside with Lewis?
mic79e

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'd do better on the edge.

Other reasons are that Ray Lewis will probably find it easier playing in the 4-3 in the later stages of his career. Two defensive tackles in front of him will keep blockers off him and allow him to run free more. Also, Defensive Lineman Anthony Weaver will probably have more of an impact as a left end in the 4-3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: