You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What is the greatest team to never win a SB
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Packersshame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SterlingSharpe wrote:
I agree with the two other guys who said the early 1990 Buffalo Bills.

FOUR straight Super Bowls. Think hard about that. New England made it to three out of four, which is unreal. Granted, Buffalo lost all four, but the damn kicker cost them their first one. The only difference there was Scott Norwood was a choke while Adam Vinitieri turned out to be clutch.

Jim Kelly. Thurman Thomas. Andre Reed. James Lofton. Don Beebe. Bruce Smith. Cornelius Bennett.

I agree the 97-98 Packers are close as well. That game still hurts because the Broncos STILL haven't stopped Dorsey Levens. Replay that game and tell me why we passed so much. And worse, why did the deffense act as if they were trying to stop the Run-n-Shoot passing offense of the 80's Oilers or the Air Coryell Chargers? Nobody had heard of Terrell Davis yet in Green Bay?

Shanahan outcoached Homgren in that game, pure and simple. It happens.

I agree. Shanahan out coached Holmgren. Also, we had no answer for Terrell Davis and the Den OL. They trampled us
MadWisconian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who know their football history should say the 1988 Cincinnati Bengals. They almost, (and should have,) beat the 1988 SF 49ers, considered to be one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packersshame wrote:
SterlingSharpe wrote:
I agree with the two other guys who said the early 1990 Buffalo Bills.

FOUR straight Super Bowls. Think hard about that. New England made it to three out of four, which is unreal. Granted, Buffalo lost all four, but the damn kicker cost them their first one. The only difference there was Scott Norwood was a choke while Adam Vinitieri turned out to be clutch.

Jim Kelly. Thurman Thomas. Andre Reed. James Lofton. Don Beebe. Bruce Smith. Cornelius Bennett.

I agree the 97-98 Packers are close as well. That game still hurts because the Broncos STILL haven't stopped Dorsey Levens. Replay that game and tell me why we passed so much. And worse, why did the deffense act as if they were trying to stop the Run-n-Shoot passing offense of the 80's Oilers or the Air Coryell Chargers? Nobody had heard of Terrell Davis yet in Green Bay?

Shanahan outcoached Homgren in that game, pure and simple. It happens.

I agree. Shanahan out coached Holmgren. Also, we had no answer for Terrell Davis and the Den OL. They trampled us

As Cowher outcoached Holmgren yesterday. Mikey's a good coach, but every SB he's been in thus far he's been outcoached. Even the one he won.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadWisconian wrote:
Those who know their football history should say the 1988 Cincinnati Bengals. They almost, (and should have,) beat the 1988 SF 49ers, considered to be one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL.

I don't know if I'd say the greatest, but I agree they should've won that game. Sam Wyce outcoached Bill Walsh plain and simple.

Cincy's FB doesn't get busted with crack the night before I believe Cincy upsets the 9ers. Without one of their most intrigal parts of their running game they came with 16 seconds of beating them. If they had him, I have to beleive they'd have held onto the ball at leaast an extra 16 seconds.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
MadWisconian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if I'd say the greatest, but I agree they should've won that game. Sam Wyce outcoached Bill Walsh plain and simple.

I mostly say the greatest because the "experts" say the 88 49ers are one of the best if not the best teams of all time. And because the Bengals should have won that game, logically, that should make them the best to never win.

It's of course an open-ended argument.
packerfan466230

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerDave wrote:
packerfan466230 wrote:
The Dolphins with a young Dan Marino. If he could have one a Super Bowl, he probably would be considered the greatest QB of all time. But too bad. Laughing

I think he is considered one of the greatest of all time

"ONE" of the greatest, but he can never be the greatest, because he never won a SB.

=
NyViKiNg4 wrote:
You guys are lames man.

NyViKiNg4 wrote:
Focker out.
PackerDave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerfan466230 wrote:
PackerDave wrote:
packerfan466230 wrote:
The Dolphins with a young Dan Marino. If he could have one a Super Bowl, he probably would be considered the greatest QB of all time. But too bad. Laughing

I think he is considered one of the greatest of all time

"ONE" of the greatest, but he can never be the greatest, because he never won a SB.

There will always be arguements of who is the greatest at any position, just because you never won a SB shouldnt really matter.

So in your eyes Barry Sanders or Jim Brown wont go down in history of great running backs because they never won a SB?

I think Marino is a better QB than Montana, but someone else will surely disagree with me, its just opinons
goombar2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So in your eyes Barry Sanders or Jim Brown wont go down in history of great running backs because they never won a SB?"

It's a "no duh", but Qb and Rb are different positions. A Qb isn't just a player, he's also a leader or field general on the team. If a Rb is your field general, your team has a real problem.

This is why Rbs are given more wiggle room than Qbs for superbowls not won. The Qb isn't just judged on stats, but the preformance in the big game. Take Big Ben and Hasslebeck. Big Ben's numbers were horrid, while I'm betting Hasslebecks look ok.

But how did Hasslebeck look with the time management and the choice of throws he made in the clutch?

See, a Qb has more to do with the momentum and plays that are run than a Rb, thus the big game is more important to the evaluation of a Qb.
PackerDave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also has to do with the team built around the QB, Marino went to the SB in his 2nd year and never went back, but if they built a team around him I'm sure he would of went to more.

How many times did Miami fold in the 2nd half of the season, I dont think it was all Marino's fault. Shula was a great coach in the regular season but his post season record sucks.

Even the great Montana couldnt get it done in KC when they went 13-3 in the regular season and lost their first playoff game because Shottenheimer gets too conservative in the post season.

All I'm saying just because he didnt win a SB does'nt mean he cant be considered one of the greatest QB's to play the game.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: