Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3-4 Defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikeFootball05

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: 3-4 Defense Reply with quote

I know some people have posted topics like this already. But I was doing some research on Pittsburgh and found our personnel isn't a whole lot different than their players in terms of size and weight. Think we could run a successful 3-4 next year with players we already have? Mangini was relatively successful with it in New England. What's the liklihood the change will happen? Just some thoughts:

Dwayne Robertson could play the Nose Tackle. Casey Hampton is 6-1, 325 llbs. Dwayne is 6-1, 317 llbs. If he could gain a few pounds, what do you think? Or would he be better off as a defensive end?

Is Mark Brown capable of being a starter? Or should we target someone like Manny Lawson from N.C. State or Kamerion Wimbley from Florida State?

Is Jonathon Vilma too small to be in the 3-4 at 6-1, 230 llbs? All Steeler linebackers are over 240 llbs. So will he have to gain serious muscle in the offseason?

What do we do with Bryan Thomas? At 266 llbs, he's too small to be a defensive end and too big and slow to be a linebacker. What should we do with him and the defensive end spot?

And last, what linebackers would be where? Would Eric Barton and Victor Hobson stay on the outside or would they move inside? And same with Jonathon Vilma.

And thoughts or ideas?

Ok I'm sorry, do you WANT to lose? I throw, you catch, it's not that hard, ok? All right now get the f@$% outta here.

-Peyton Manning United Way SNL Skit
Progidychld

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robertson can play NT.
Mark Brown is not capable of being a starter but I don't think we should draft someone as prolific as Manny Lawson or a DE like Kamerion Wimbley. Instead I think we should draft an OLB such as AJ Nicholson.

Vilma plays bigger than he is we all know that and if he wants to add weight it shouldnt be a problem.

Cut Bryan Thomas he's as bust.

I say Hobson moves to inside while Barton stays outside. Hobson was a ILB in college and is bigger than Barton while Barton has always been an OLB and is taller and faster than Hobson.
watup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewayne can play the NT but the question is will he be effective in that position
jonyankee1nyj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant see robertson as our DE hes a much better NT. Cant cut thomas he can help this team alot if we find him the right position pretty much agree with the rest. wimbley is a guy we can get if he falls to the third
watup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there isn't really any position for him in the 3-4
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think mark brown is capable. he had a good year covering for barton.

if we switch to 3-4 then i dont think thomas will fit but we can give him a shot.
DE- ellis, thomas, draft one, (maybe reed plays? hes an undersized tackle)
NT- robertson will put on 10-15 lbs and will be fine, pouha will back him up
OLB- barton, draft some1 like manny lawson some1 who can rush the qb like shawne merriman did this year
ILB- vilma will be fine may add a few lbs, hobson played ILB in college

now if we have abe he will play OLB but i still think we should grab a guy like a david pollack who can play OLB and be a situational pass rusher like on 3rd down.
if we trade abe thats where the lawson pick should come in. we can package abe and a pick for a high second or low first and try to get lawson if hes still there. thats my idea

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told if we switch to the 3-4 our biggest needs will stem from the fact that Abe is gone so we'll need a new tweener.

Hobson is a big guy at 6'0 250+. I really would like him as an ILB. In all seriousness we have most of the personnel to run this system.
watup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the 3-4 is what Mangini is best in I think we should switch because even if it isn't great next year it will get better the next year
Mr.Totality

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are looking at this the wrong way. Robertson cannot play the zero technique. Granted he is close in size to hampton, but hampton is a power player, and robertson is a speed player. Bad fit. Grady Jackson is a free agent, and is a better matchup.

Next year will be the building up of the 3-4
peelout142

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we do switch to 3-4 i think mangini might pick d 1st
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
watup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it
A.J Hawk would be his only choice and I don't think he'll do that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: