Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colts Offseason?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glover is getting old and we need the CB/LB help more than DT help...

Nice try Wink
bigred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namy5280 wrote:
All of those statistics don't matter if you can't perform at that level during the post-season. Defense is more than just turnovers, it's about tackling, mental focus, consistency, stopping third downs, forcing punts or kicks, allowing no big plays, run and pass defense, etc.

Also, although they may lead the league in turnovers, they still allow to many big plays. Cory Dillon had too many big yard runs during the game, the Colts didn't seem to be able to tackle at all. Statistics can lie, and in reality, besides Freeny, there isn't a defensive playmaker on the team. I don't care what the individual stats may say, there were too many times when Dillon should've been sacked for loss yards or just a few yard gains, but ended up getting the first down or +10 yard gains. Having sporadic moments of defensive playmaking isn't and should never be the standard for defense. Consistency is lacking in the Colts defense.

Also, although Edge fumbled twice in the season opener, having Rhodes and Mungro fill in for James is a big mistake. Rhodes is just as fumble prone as or more than Edgerrin, and Mungro... I don't even know anything about this guy other than the fact that he recieved the 49th TD pass.
Actually that was Stokley, but otherwise your posts was dead on, on all counts.

friggin Polian Mad
bigred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(from the other thread)

Gman4433 wrote:
Does anybody else think that they need to pull of a drastic move to improve the team overall. I mean with the exception of the patriots game their offense was alsome. i think they need to franchise James trade him to the dolphins for the #2 pick and draft a top defensive player like Johnson.

Anybody else got any ideas??
Offhand I was going to snub that idea, but man would I love to see Johnson in the blue and white. If we could do that and solidify the CBs we might finally forge a D to be reckoned with. Course losing EJ would be huge, don't kid yourselves that Rhodes could just step and we wouldn't miss a beat (Mungro? lol). But we need more balance, and it's worth taking the chance.
inkwell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the problems with trading Edge is that while you might find someone to replace his yardage running the ball, in this offense it is equally important for them to pass block and catch the ball. So the only real plug in for Edge is Brown, or maybe Fason. Of the major names at RB in this years draft, the rest seem to only do two of the three well at best. So if you make the trade with the Dolphins, you either take ronny brown with the pick in return meaning you only replace what you gave up . . . or you take Johnson and then Fason with your own first rounder and hope Nique/Fason is a reasonable facsimile of Edge
racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the Colts lost the playoff game:

Our defense only gave up 6 points in the first half. They didn't play well in the second half, but neither did our offense. With the type of defense that the Patriots played against us, we had to be a run first team. The offensive line and Edge were not effective. I think a lot of people are over Emphasizing our weakness on defense. They were an above average defense in the second half.

Face it, the Colts are incable of playing well in the snow. They can play in cold weather, but not in the snow. Snow negates speed and makes a game a much more physical game. When Bill Polian builds both our offense and defense on speed, this type of weather will kill our chances of winning a game. So while we still probably would have lost to the Patriots, the game probably would have been much closer.

Trade Edge vs. Not Trade Edge:

Inkwell brings up a good point that Edge does so many things well besides running the ball. Edge is considered by some to be the best RB in the league at pass blocking and picking up the blitz. I honestly have no idea if Rhodes is good at these things. If he is, then we definitely don't need to keep Edge because I think Rhodes can be nearly as effective as Edge.

Inkwell mentioned possibly trading Edge to draft Ronnie Brown (don't think he endorsed it though). I actually wouldn't mind if we do this. Edge will be demanding a long-term and costly contract. Brown will also be asking for a big contract, but Brown would be cheaper then Edge. Also, Brown is much younger then Edge. I also have a gut feeling that Brown will be an elite RB in this league. My guess is that Edge will only be one of the top RB's in the league for another 2-4 years.

Our Defensive Needs:

Defensive Line:

Our defensive line was very effective. Freeney, Mathis, and Brock combined for 33 sacks this past season. DT Montae Reagor was also very impressive. The defensive line was no doubt the Colts' most impressive defensive unit this past season. Unless the Colts decide to move Robert Mathis to OLB, we should not invest much more money in an already potent line. The Colts could consider picking up another DT, but they already have a fair amount of money invested in both Josh Williams and Reagor and have much more pressing needs on defense.

Linebackers:

Face it. The Colts' linebackers as a whole suck. The Colts' must upgrade at MLB. Rob Morris has failed to get the job done while in Indy. Also, the Colts need to consider replacing Thorton or June at OLB. Both are affective WLB's, but I'm not sure either one has the talent to be a successful SLB. I could be wrong, however, as both are relatively young and could improve a lot.

Cornerbacks:

Our cornerbacks sucked this season as well. We definitely need a true #1 corner. If we don't resign Nick Harper, I think we also need to sign someone to be our #2 cornerback. I don't think anyone else on the Colts last season is capable of being an affective #1 or #2 for the Colts.

Safeties:

The Colts do not need to replace either one of their starting safeties. Bob Sanders is very, very talented (Polian is sky high on him) and Mike Doss is solid. We should NOT resign Bashir.
inkwell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edge is only 26 and if you believe he can stay at the top for 3 or 4 years, we need to keep him. If we get a pick high enough to draft Ronny Brown, I would rather take Derrick Johnson and use our 29th pick for Fason. Admittedly I havent seen him play and am just going off reports that seem to indicate he can do everything our offense needs . . . run tough, catch and pass block/pickup blitz. So I only trade Edge if we can get a player, a draft pick high enough to take DJ and also keep our first rounder to draft a potential replacement for Edge in Fason to team with Nique. With all of the options available at RB this year, I dont see anyone giving us all that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: