Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints Looking at Quarterback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FootballAnalyst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Saints Looking at Quarterback Reply with quote

The March issue of Sporting News reports the Saints as being tired of coddling Aaron Brooks. It goes on to say the Saints might try to pick up free agent quarterback Kurt Warner.
Further, there are whispers the Saints are weighing moving up in the draft, versus staying where they are in the middle of the first round. The move up would potentially be to take LB Derrick Johnson, Texas. The issue is that LB/DE Shawne Merriman, Maryland might be the better pick. He might still be available in the middle of the first. That would allow the Saints to address need, without giving up any picks. As for the offensive line, sources say they will more likely turn to free agency to add strength. This draft is weak up front on the o-line.
_SaintsFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB, oh please no.I wouldn't be happy if the Saints drafted a QB in rounds 1-3.In the fourth, I would have no proble taking a future QB.

And whispers about trading up for Derrick Johnson.Where is your source?I would cut off my left arm, If we could draft DJ.

Also, the FA OT is spot on.The Saints are going to sign RT Fred Miller from the Titans, bank it.
FootballAnalyst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Sources Reply with quote

I cannot reveal my exact source. He wouldn't like that at all. I will say I am a journalist for an affiliate of a national broadcast organization. I live and work in Louisiana, and I played high school football with a Saints player. I have covered the Saints for six years. I am fairly reliable. However, the aforementioned post says Merriman is the "X" factor. He might be the better deal, given the fact that Johnson will require us to give our first pick, second pick and player that we wouldn't want to lose. It might even force us to give up first, second and next year's first. In addition some of the mock drafts I have seen show Johnson falling. Not too far, but in the fith to even ninth pick region. I realize he's better than that, but the teams drafting in the top four have far more pressing needs. It might be wise to wait and see if Johnson falls. If he does, trade up to the five to nine region. The terms would almost definintely be more desirable. If he doesn't, wait for Merriman.

Minnesota might be the key in trading up. If Johnson falls to their pick, the Saints could possibly work out a trade, or Minnesota could just take Johnson. You have to remember, though, the Vikings took E. J. Henderson with the eighth pick last year. He's worked out fairly well. The interesting thing is, Minnesota will almost certainly need a wideout. The Saints have some tradebait at that position. Further, Minnesota could add picks from the Saints to bolster their entire lineup. A quality wideout will be available at the Saints current pick. Another thing, keep in mind, both of these teams have been bitten from drafting defense high (Vikings-K. Williams, Saints- J. Sullivan).
_SaintsFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand about the source, I wouldn't want you to get in touble.

Thanks a lot for the info you have provided here.It is very helpfull to us Saints fans wanting and waiting for info.

I'm sure a lot of people at the Saintsreport.com forums would love to see you posting there.
SaintsFan4LIfe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K. Williams a bust?

I'll take him over Sully anyday.
SaintsFan4LIfe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K. Williams not a bust.
DeuceFan26

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K. Williams is one of the top young d-lineman in the league how \can you even mention him as a bust??
FootballAnalyst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

I wasn't calling K. Williams a bust. Look at the thread, did I say bust? When you draft a player in the top ten you expect a player that "changes" your team. Anyone here expect us to draft D. Johnson, him to be awesome, and our defense to be average to below? Williams was drafted to solidify their defense, and make Hovan and company awesome. Anyone here think the Vikings "D" is awesome? That's what I meant. I really don't even think Sullivan is a bust, yet. He's very young, and could come out of the "funk." He was drafted as a Junior in college, but I really didn't see picking him that high. Even so, he could turn the corner with more discipline.
DeuceFan26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, well that I agree with, K. Williams just needs a little more help, I think he will be a great player and if they can get other good players around him they might get to be a great defense.
Armyscout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Couldn't Resist but to put my thoughts up for discussion Reply with quote

Hello to all Saints Fans!
Especially to the lifelong fans.

My discussion is 2 part, but ties in with this subject.

1) The Saints have more weapons on offense than any other NFC south team(who by the way all have been to the ring match in the last few years), but no way to get them the Ball. So.... Do we just want the ring or do we want to continue to build a "solid" team.

a) Ring option - Kurt Warner in free agency, trade Brooks and draft for the holes in our defense.

b) solid team - Free agency for holes in defense, hope that Brooks can lower interceptions and increase TD passes, and draft for the future like The best LB in the 1st and a backup QB in the 2nd like Kyle Orton (who has the size and arm to get the ball to our stable of receivers) Further picks should be based on getting solid back-ups for critical positions. Possibly CB/S/TE/DE type guys.

Lastly, There might even be a hybrid of these ideas, but I truly believe that the team, management must make this decision. Ring or future? If the later is chosen, it might be SOS(same ol saints) for the next couple of years, which includes new coaches.
DeuceFan26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea but I doubt Kurt Warner is going to be taking the Saints to any Super Bowls or championship games, our offense was not the problem, the 32nd ranked defense was, Aaron Brooks should be traded but Kurt Warner is not the Super Bowl option, we could do just as well with a rookie, Warner is not a great player like he was with the Rams he is a decent player like he was with the Giants. In My Humble Opinion
SaintsFan4LIfe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had K. Williams in the same breath as Sullivan.
Armyscout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's bring this discussion out as it's own topic. Superbowl or bust!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: