Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If David Boston becomes available and we address the defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: If David Boston becomes available and we address the defense Reply with quote

I have read several sources talking about the moves Miami is reportedly going to be making today to get below the salary cap. David Boston may be one of the players cut. I know, he hasn't done much the past few years even though he has had some opportunities. But if we address the defense first in free agency, would you guys consider taking a flier on Boston if he is still available? We all know the negatives, but he is only 25. He has incredible size to go along with excellent speed. Do you think it might be possible that Vermeil could have the same affect on Boston as he did with Kennison? Kennison had a reputation as being a problem but since becoming a Chief, he has been productive.
Maybe a minimum base salary 2 year contract that contains a $300,000 signing bonus and quite a few performance bonuses that include participating in different percentages of offensive snaps during the regular season, leading the team in receptions, receiving yardage, receiving touchdowns and also leading the NFL in those categories. If Boston where to sign a deal similar to this one with the Chiefs, the risk would be minimal. Plus it takes a page out of the Minnesota Viking's contract philosophy of including performance bonuses that in reality the player will probably never meet. Those bonuses not reached then are credited against the salary cap. I am not sure exactly how much money can be allocated in those performance bonuses in comparison to base salary, but I don't see Boston leading the Chiefs in every receiving category, much less the NFL. Under these contract parameters, and considering we fill some defensive holes first, would it be worth signing Boston to a league minimum contract that is heavily based on performance bonuses? I have included a contract idea that incorporates minimum salaries and performance bonuses.

David Boston
Position : Wide receiver
College : Ohio State
Height : 62
Weight : 240 lbs.
DOB : 8/19/78
Experience : 6 seasons

Contract :
2 year
$300,000 signing bonus

Performance Bonuses (contract years applicable)
$25,000 performance bonus for participating in all scheduled full team workouts. (Year 1 2)
$50,000 performance bonus for participating in 65% of team offensive snaps during regular season. (Year 1 2)
$75,000 performance bonus for participating in 80% of team offensive snaps during regular season. (Year 1 2)
$100,000 performance bonus for leading team in receptions during regular season. (Year 1 2)
$100,000 performance bonus for leading team in receiving yards during regular season. (Year 1 2)
$100,000 performance bonus for leading team in receiving yards average per catch minimum of 45 receptions. during regular season (Year 1 2)
$100,000 performance bonus for leading team in receiving touchdowns during regular season. (Year 1 2)
$300,000 performance bonus for leading NFL in receiving yards during regular season. (Year 1 2)
$300,000 performance bonus for leading NFL in receiving touchdowns during regular season. (Year 1 2)

Maximum Bonus Value per year
$1,150,000

Base Salary
Year 1 : $540,000
Year 2 : $655,000

Total Salary (excluding performance bonuses)
Year 1 : $690,000
Year 2 : $805,000

Maximum Salary (including performance bonuses)
Year 1 : $1,840,000
Year 2 : $1,955,000
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston is bad news. I don't want him. Schottenheimer couldn't get through to him. You forget Vermeil has failures with bad seeds too. Remember Lawrence Phillips?
KC Warpaint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no thank you...we do not need david boston here
kyanho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you compare Boston to Lawrence?? Horrible comparison.

Lawrence never showed enough poise to do anything on the field.

Boston only 3 years ago put together a two year average that no Chief fan wouldn't want, mid 80 receptions, 1300 yards. The guy was a beast at The Ohio State before his problems. Actually steroids were the downfall of his game on and off the field. He got too big, and lost speed.

He will return to dominance this year, why would you guys not want him here?

And you say that he's a bad fit for Vermiel, the guy who everybody loves for his compassion for his players. I'm sorry, but those arguements for him not being here are not justified at all.
bh13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind it, if they could sign him fairly cheap.

What's the worst that could happen? If they decide they don't like him, they can always cut him before the season starts.
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was going to sign for that little i think we would keep him.

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
2TP3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the contract is made up of mostly performance bonuses yeah I would take him and you bring up a good point with Eddie Kennison maybe Vermiel could show him some compassion and he would react to it in a good way, we need some youth at WR, I know we got Parker but he hasnt totally proven himself yet. I say bring him in for the pre season and cut him if we need to. Schottenheimer and Vermiel are totally different coaches first off Vermeil can win in the playoffs second off Schott is an inspirational coach that works well as an underdog and some players dont respond well to inspiring speeches especially at the pro level and Vermeil is a compassionate coach he just shows so much love and compassion and love for his players and the game and players tend to respond better to that but the down side is some times the players get too comfertable with the coach for example this year, and it leads of flustrating results.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ? NO ! his lockeroom effect alone (practice habits are poor - lazy - thinks he's good enough to lace em up on sunday and perform <juiced>)

if we look for a WR in FA it should be Travis Taylor . . he's flying under the radar (unless he's been resigned and I missed it) so his price will be low .. not dirt cheap . . but low and affodable . . he might only be that value early . .after some of the other WR's get gobbled up . . the bidding will put him out of range.
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
Mongo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Boston caught using steroids? This explains his freakish size. Once he is off the juice, we'll see how good he is. Hopefully on someone else's team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: