You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jay Cutler Tennesse Titans 1st Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTitanFAN32

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^I have to agree with you right there Asian Player..........i would prefer the Titans to trade down though in the first place

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton wrote:
Who would take him? He has a huge contract he isn't worth anymore, its not just a matter of trading players we don't want/can't afford for draft picks.

You kidding right? Who would take him? As much as McNair has dropped off these past couple of years, he is still easily a top 16 QB... meaning half the teams in the NFL could upgrade by adding him to their team. The Cardinals, Bears, Ravens, Bills, Saints, Lions have a ton of money under the cap next year and could use a QB which might/might not propell them into the playoffs. The Cowboys, Dolphins, Jets and Raiders would have to get creative to get him in, but all could see themselves winning 4 more games with McNair at QB. Those teams might also be willing to give more of a signing bonus to get him his money (restructure as opposed to pay cut) than we are if they see themselves close to making their run.

The best fits I see for McNair are the Bears, Ravens, Cowboys, and Dolphins. All 4 of those teams could make deep playoff runs with McNair at QB over whoever they have now.
Redskins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke1705 wrote:
no way guys theres no way we don't take vince young, unless some team offers us an arm and a leg, we are staying where we're at and drafting a francise QB (his name is vince young not jay cutler)

What good would an arm and a leg be, exactly? Wink

Also, I can't see Tennessee past Young, either way whatever they do they have so many options it's almost a bad thing.

RIP Sean Taylor
Burton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
Burton wrote:
Who would take him? He has a huge contract he isn't worth anymore, its not just a matter of trading players we don't want/can't afford for draft picks.

You kidding right? Who would take him? As much as McNair has dropped off these past couple of years, he is still easily a top 16 QB... meaning half the teams in the NFL could upgrade by adding him to their team. The Cardinals, Bears, Ravens, Bills, Saints, Lions have a ton of money under the cap next year and could use a QB which might/might not propell them into the playoffs. The Cowboys, Dolphins, Jets and Raiders would have to get creative to get him in, but all could see themselves winning 4 more games with McNair at QB. Those teams might also be willing to give more of a signing bonus to get him his money (restructure as opposed to pay cut) than we are if they see themselves close to making their run.

The best fits I see for McNair are the Bears, Ravens, Cowboys, and Dolphins. All 4 of those teams could make deep playoff runs with McNair at QB over whoever they have now.

Ummm yes i'm serious, his cap number is something in double digit millions. Their are very few teams who would trade anything to pick up a 32 year old QB. Teams are must more likely to draft a QB instead of taking on McNair's huge contract for two years. Last year Edge and Alexander were avaliable on the market, alot of teams needed a RB, but no one wanted them (for a mere 2nd or 3rd round pick) because they don't want a huge contract, so they drafted. And those RBs are in their prime. The only place I can see McNair going to is Miami, and i'm not sure if they have the cap space to do it, they really shook up the roster last year so they could still be dealing with dead money.

With the 3rd pick in the first round the Tennessee
titans will return

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

his cap number is 9 million(or atleast i think i read that) then he has a 50 mill$ bons but we can take a 1 mil option bonus on him,and it erases the 50 mill one he has,thats only 10 mill,and Im not sure if that is right I thought his cap number was smaller,but his bonus was HUGE,and i thoight it was 9mill total after the 1 Mill triggered bonus
Burton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1 million dollar bye out means we have to release him I believe. Its not like "we don't want to pay you the 50 mill so heres 1" he would have never agreed to anything like that.

ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton wrote:
The 1 million dollar bye out means we have to release him I believe. Its not like "we don't want to pay you the 50 mill so heres 1" he would have never agreed to anything like that.

The 1M dollar payment is a buy out from the contract extension. We would keep his services for this year (06) then he would become a free agent after the season. The 50 M bonus triggers the extension through 09.

McNair's cap hit for 06 right now stands at 27.9 M dollars (9M base salary, 6.7 M from the proration of his SB, and 12.5M from the new proration of his 50 M SB). If bought out it would stand at 23.4 M (9M base, 6.7 M from the proration of his SB, the 1M buyout, and an accelaration of 7M from future SB prorations).
Burton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats even more than I thought it was, thats over 1/4th of a teams cap. I don't think anyone has that kind of room.

ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton wrote:
Wow thats even more than I thought it was, thats over 1/4th of a teams cap. I don't think anyone has that kind of room.

No one else will have to deal with any of those bonuses. If we trade him (same as if we cut him), the bonuses all count against our cap... we just save his base salary. That's what they're looking to restructure. Any other team would do the same, but without having to deal with past bonuses (dealing with the 9M base salary is very easy when no past bonuses and cap hits are involved). That's why its pretty easy to trade him, money wise... especially considering we have Volek who could start for a year or two at a very cheap starting QB price.

But I still say, we work something out with him and he retires a Titan.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: