You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Malarky no good

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AUman416

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Malarky no good Reply with quote

I think malarky's style of offense has the potential to look a lot like wannstedt's, its not a crime to punt. Our defense is just getting to old to play that way, and the reason we were succesful this year is because chambers and booker moved the ball down the field. Malarky could send us in the wrong direction. your thoughts.
Cunn88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are wrong...those are my thoughts

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont agree that its a stupid question. I think you raise a valid concern. I think Linehan did enough long distance/down field passing to open up the run and put the fear in opponents secondary. I have concerns about Mularkeys aggressiveness as well, and while I questioned some of Linehan's 4th Qtr. play calling, I L-O-V-E his aggressiveness and passion for down field passing. Mularkey was clearly hamstrung with [inappropriate/removed]-poor qb talent in both Buffalo and Pittsburgh and may very well be in Miami as well. However, he was at the helm when several rather poor QB's put up their best numbers and for that reason I have some hope. Also, I have an almost inappropriate amount of faith in Nick Saban to bring out the best in Mularkey who in turn will bring out the best in the offense. Much of the offensive success may have to do with who mans the QB position.

Lastly, I think Mularkey was the best candidate available. I doubt there's anyone who thinks more highly of Linehan than I, and I cannot overstate how bummed I was that he got away, but it had to be expected. He really helped turn our offense around and its clear Minnesota missed him. A head coaching job just made sense. Mularkey has a decent track record considering the talent he was working with and simply may be more suited for a head coordinator job than head coach. Some made a case for Martz, but I don't think Martz would have taken the backseat to Saban's personality as well as Mularkey will.

In short, I am happy with the Mularkey signing, sad to see Linehan go, and share your concerns with Mularkeys potential conservative nature.
Deets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Saban likes deep passing as much as Linehan did, and would not have hired someone if he felt that they would be too "conservative", as other threads have shown it comes down to who the QB is...

FF Member #67
Mercury22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
I think Saban likes deep passing as much as Linehan did, and would not have hired someone if he felt that they would be too "conservative", as other threads have shown it comes down to who the QB is...

Perhaps, but he may simply be going with someone he knows and knows will be a hard worker. I have never heard Saban even intimate that he believes in down field passing. I'd need to see some evidence to support that notion. I am not saying you are wrong at all, I am saying I don't know it to be true. Mularkey certainly didn't show a propensity to throw the rock much in Buffalo, but then again JP Losman makes me want to run as well. My fingers, toes and anything else is crossed that we don't see Wannstadt II in Mularkey. My guess is he will be somewhere between Wanny and Linehan.
BrettWolfe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was the rite hire and you are wrong.

Look at Pittsburgh awhile back and you will change ur opinion.

Dolphins Fan
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Malarky no good Reply with quote

AUman416 wrote:
I think malarky's style of offense has the potential to look a lot like wannstedt's, its not a crime to punt. Our defense is just getting to old to play that way, and the reason we were succesful this year is because chambers and booker moved the ball down the field. Malarky could send us in the wrong direction. your thoughts.

I agree with you. Mularky could set our offense back. I do not want the Dolphins offense to be a run first, pass second offense because they do not have the dominating O-line to be a KC Chiefs or Pittsburgh Steelers. I liked the balance the Dolphins had last year. I hope this does not hurt Chambers development.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think everybody needs to understand that we're not really changing our offense and we're not changing our defense," Saban said. "We're going to keep things as consistent for our players as we can."
From Below Palm Beach post article by Jeff Darlington

This makes it sound like we are going to be doing the same thing as last season with a different play caller...same plays, same terminology. I hope this means little to no set back for the offense.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/26/a1c_PBP_DOLPHINS_0126.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I never said Mularkey sucked. I never said he wasn't the right hire. I simply said he may not have the same propensity to throw down field as Linehan. Then again, there aren't many coaches that would throw as much as Linehan, other than perhaps a Martz. Mularkey will throw, BUT the offense will change. There is no way Mularkey comes in and runs Linehan's offense. Not going to happen. The system has changed. The players will have a learning curve and we should see an adjustment period at the begining of the season. Like it or not.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: