Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bettis inks new deal......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azazaz7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Bettis inks new deal...... Reply with quote

.......for $1.5 million. It's about $0.5million more than he earned last year and it shaves $3million off this years cap. In the last few days, the Steelers have removed around $8million (Bettis, Scott , Riemersma) from the cap which could indicate that they're looking at giving Burress a new deal.

I think it's a good deal for the Steelers. Bettis can finish his career with a Super Bowl ring in his hometown Detroit! I'd be surprised if Verron Haynes signs a new contract because Willie Parker is an excellent #3 RB.
fballnut2005

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see hte bus in action again. As previously stated he will end his career with that ring. As far as Haynes goes why not keep him he's good for when bus retires and then you have Staley, Haynes and Parker not two of the three.
andre80j

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should let Haynes go. Take a running back in the fourth or fifth round. Maybe someone along the lines of Walter Reyes or Darren Sproles. See if then can turn out to be a steal, and have him sit and watch this year, and once the Bus retires, give them a shot at backing up Deuce. If it doesn't work out then you'll see Willie Parker backing up Deuce or maybe them trying to sign a free agent running back...
Canada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bettis inks new deal...... Reply with quote

azazaz7 wrote:
.......for $1.5 million. It's about $0.5million more than he earned last year and it shaves $3million off this years cap. In the last few days, the Steelers have removed around $8million (Bettis, Scott , Riemersma) from the cap which could indicate that they're looking at giving Burress a new deal.

How about giving Ward the money instead?

I'd like to see them renegotiate Hartings, Porter and Kimo also.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bettis inks new deal...... Reply with quote

Quote:
How about giving Ward the money instead?

I think $8 million is plenty of money to resign Burress and extend Wards deal.
steeler95

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that 8 million has to also pay for the tenders on the restricted free agents and the rookie class. considering that there is not much $$ right to start throwing at at marginal players like fred smoot. resigning ward won't cost that much against this year's cap though because the steelers almost always pay league minimum in the first year of the contract. so the overall cap hit is not much more than the signing bonus divided by the lenth of the contract (probably not much over 2 - 2.5 million). not all of which is new $$. his increase won't be more than 1 to 1.5 million more with a new contract. the rookies will cost between 3-5 million depending on the steelers allocated pool. the restricted free agents will cost 3-5 million. that doesn't leave much room.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: