Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How to build a Superbowl team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacknine99

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: How to build a Superbowl team Reply with quote

This comes from Clark Judge at Sportsline and adds further evidence why moving Moss is necessary to get to the Superbowl:

"Look at the top five passing teams last year: They were Indianapolis, Minnesota, Green Bay, Kansas City and St. Louis. Add them up, and you have clubs with a combined record of 45-35. Now look at the top five rushing teams -- Pittsburgh, Washington, San Diego, Denver and the New York Jets -- and you'll find them at 53-27.

And I didn't even mention the sixth-best rushing team. That was New England, which won its second straight Super Bowl and third in four years. "
UtBDan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woosh, 8 game difference out of 5 teams? MAN, THAT'S A HUGE FRIGGEN DIFFERENCE

My point being, this article is nonsense.
Vikings fan.
tdawg72

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: What?? Reply with quote

The Vikings were the NUMBER ONE running team two years ago, and what did it get them? To say that not having Moss on your team is actually a "good thing" is PURE INSANITY!!!
The most overrated concept in football is that of "chemistry". Do you know the real secret why the Patriots keep winning? It has NOTHING to do with chemistry. They have the most talent in the NFL, top to bottom, PERIOD. Today's salary cap makes it imposssible to have a team loaded with superstars ala the 90's Cowboys and '93 49'ers, so you have to have a roster with NO GAPING HOLES. There are plenty of teams in the NFL that have good chemistry, but they also have losing records because they don't have the talent. Talent, above all else, wins. The Patriots are LOADED with superstars, regardless if the media claims they are are or are not (Brady, Dillon, Vinateri, Seymour, McGinest, Bruschi, Harrison). What seperates them is that when a player goes down (Ty Law) they plug in someone GOOD (Asante Samuel). The Pats wide recievers aren't Moss, but you seriously underestimate how good they are (Branch, Patten, Givens, Graham all are GOOD.) The Vikes, particularily on D, are full of holes, so when an average player goes down (Corey Chavous) a horrible player goes in (Willie Offord). We have starters that aren't as good as other teams backups! So rather than upgrade the areas of weakness being 30 million under the cap, people think it's a good idea to trade away one of YOUR STRENGTHS??!! Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...
Unless the #7 pick turns out to be a consistent All-Pro, this trade has set back the franchise AT LEAST 2 years. But guess what, we'll at least get to see a happy, friendly team, full of chemistry...and a 6-10 record.
BigRich3113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow you have no clue what you are talking about..... Yes Randy Moss is great......but dude we have 34 MILLION DOLLERS to spend this year.... If we make the right moves we will not only WIN the Division but we can make it to the NFC Championship. We should sign a FA wr like plaxico or Mason.... They might not be as good as Moss but they are not a far step down........and they won't cause the BS headache that Moss did. With that 7th pick in the draft we should go after Antrel Rolle or Derrick Johnson. They both will develope into stars and become a big help to the team. If we decide to find a way to get Derrick Johnson we should try to go for a FA Cb like Samari Rolle, Pat Sutrain, or some other FA CB..... See we have the money, all we need is to use it wisely and we can come out of this better than before AND we won't have Moss and his BS statements and what not. So if the Vikings play their cards right I think they could end up 11-5 MAYBE 12-4 and divison champs
T0wer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the reverse of that, We've had moss for 7 years and we don't have anything to show for it either. In fact the last 5 years with moss I believe our overall record is below 500. Even with moss with the best rushing team 2 years ago, even 15-1 we still didn't go to a superbowl. DEFENSE wins championships. And all around talent with no gaping holes in it.

Moss wants to get out, Moss has been having nagging injuries throughout his career. He still plays on it yes, he is still an all pro yes. However your arguments for keeping him arn't really going to make us superbowl champions.

Plain and simple getting rid of him was not good in the short term, but hopefully good in the long term. If it sets us back 2 years... Does it really matter? Tice will probably be gone at the end of this year then, and his 4 year plan was a complete bust anyway. Why not get rid of moss anyway then?? I would rather go 6 - 10 and get a good pick because of a deal and try to improve then keep someone around and continue to go 8 - 8 every year. Why be consistently average, make a move strive to be something better.

Sign a FA marquee player on O, then have 2 GOOD D picks in the draft. Personally I think that would make us better in the long run for getting rid off Moss.

Also your comments about the Pats... The pats are pure talent I agree. However they are not consistent pro bowl wide outs. Yet they continue to win... so having Moss is not a KEY ingredient.
tdawg72

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: They are draft picks!!! Reply with quote

Whoever is our #7 pick IS A ROOKIE!! They take time to develop and even then it's 50/50 that will be an NFL level player!! I have no idea what I'm talking about and you want to sign Plaxico Burress?? My God! What did Moss do that made all the Vikings fans hate him? Walking off the field was bad, but other than that, what? WHO CARES if he said "I play when I want to play" because he has NINETY touchdowns in SIX years! So what if he acts like a punk as long as he produces on the field! I work in a hotel bar in downtown Minneapolis where the Vikes go for home games, and let me tell you, THEY ARE ALL PRIMA-DONNA JERKS (Tice included). But so what? He beat our green and gold arch-rival almost by himself!! He made Favre think about retiring! Every single fan and player in the other teams of the Central are laughing at us while breathing a huge sigh of relief! If BS= 13 touchdowns while HURT, THEN WE NEED MORE BS!!!
BigRich3113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH and a rookie has NEVER produced their first year...... May i point at Daunte Robinson CB for the Texans, DJ Williams LB with the broncos, John VIlma LB with the Jets........ They all had Extremely good rookie years...... Derrick Johnson will be better than Vilma and DJ Williams could EVER be and I think he WILL win rookie of the year. and Moss has done NOTHING but cause drama since he got here.... You act like he is Jesus....HE CAN BE REPLACED.........
tdawg72

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

You're right, you're right. It's not like the franchise got sold to LA. And yes, maybe who we draft will be a superstar. I don't mean to take out my frustration on fellow Vikes fans. I just think that people's dislike of Moss is blinding them to the fact that we traded away a Hall-of-Famer. Like he's just a "typical" wide receiver. I LOVED the fact that when I watched the games on Sunday we had a weapon that no one else in the NFL had, a game-changer that made other teams frightened. Maybe this is a step in the right direction, but the key word there is "maybe". Traded Moss and kept Tice. UGGH...
BigRich3113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I know what your saying.... I don't hate him at all.... he actually is my favorite player but there were times when i watched him in games that i questioned how hard he was trying. He will probably be in the hall of fame one day but like that other guy said........defense wins championships.... and If we improve our defense and sign a wr on the FA I think we should do very well........cause face it.....there is NO way our defense could get ANY worse....
UtBDan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Moss trade will improve us immediately if we can sign a pro bowl WR, and I don't think that's a big if. I know that wouldn't be a big if if the sale would go through before free agency, but... yeah.
Vikings fan.
T0wer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdawg,

Do I like Moss. YES. Did I want to trade him... Not really. Did I NOT want Tice. You freaking betcha.

I also liked having a weapon that no one could stop or touch. Yes he produced on the field. Yes he will be a hall of famer. Technically with CC and Moss we had 2 HOF players on the field at the same time. We STILL have nothing to show for it. Yes we did beat the pack this year when it COUNTED.

I think this could (your right maybe) be a step in the right direction. Rookies can produce in the first season. There is no question about that. You forgot another good one Big Rich. Did you ever hear about that roethlisburger guy? Yea nice pick Cower.

Anyway what bar do you work at. I am going to stop by and get some free drinks Razz

Before we really get into how crappy or how good this move was. Lets wait and see if this turns out to be a good move or not. We have FA and draft still to come. Birk said the same thing on KFAN the other day. "We won't know right away whether or not this was a good move." Like most everyone is saying initially... this looks like a bad move... but maybe as you said... maybe.

I do agree with you though Dan that with some moves this offseason we will be better off right away. Just my opinion.
BigRich3113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I also am not a fan of Tice....... I was PISSED when i heard the gave him an extension....

Whats deciding our fate is him and our POS owner..... If we get that new owner who is showing intrest in our wonderful team and he will spend all of the cap room then we will be a contender next year......

and for the person who started this topic.... here is somes stats for you....

The 5 Teams the let up the least ammount of points a games combined record was: 58-22

EVEN BETTER...... the 3 teams that allowed the least points had a combined record of 42-6.........and those teams were The Steelers, The Patriots, and The Steelers....coincidentily the 3 best teams in the NFL last year.....
T0wer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you intend to write Steelers twice ? But that last stat is impressive.
BigRich3113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry....... i meant to say The Steelers, The Patriots, and The Eagles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: