Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Thoughts on what 'REALLY' needs to be done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RicedOut5165

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: My Thoughts on what 'REALLY' needs to be done. Reply with quote

I'm more of a Jets fan but I also love the giants. Mainly because I love my home New York. I'm the Jets fan in our family along with my dad... my 2 brothers are Giants fans but we all love the Jets and Giants equally. If it ever came down to Giants vs. Jets... my dad and i would pick jets and my brothers would go with the giants.

anyway...

Quick wording of what i think needs to be done...

1 ) Strahan and Osi must stay healthy.. if they can, that D-line will be able to stop the run and be able to rush the passer to force him to throw quicker than he wants to (which will create mistakes for the qb)

2 ) Our Corners are fine.. Will, William, Cutris, and Frank are all Speedy and can stop the pass 75% of the time or even more if they can stay healthy. (whoever said our corners suck is a very dumb person, giants had one of the top 10 pass defenses this year)

3 ) There's a problem with our Strong Safeties. Gibril Wilson and Shaun Williams are both very good weapons to use.. so I think one of them should stay as Strong Safety and the other should convert to Free Safety because our Free safeties suck... they're old and they won't help us get any better. I don't even know if it's possible to convert to a free safety (but i hope the giants will give it a try) because if Gibril Wilson and Shaun Williams were out on the field together, playing side by side. one playing Free Safety and the other playing Strong Safety.. i think our secondary will be fine at stopping the pass along with Allen and Peterson.

4 ) Barret Green needs to stay as Right Linebacker and Carlos Emmons still has a couple years left at his position before he starts to slow down. The only concern left on defense is middle linebacker.. if Lewis or Greisen can promise to step up next season and play at their hardest.. i'm thinking we can trust them and not focus on a MLB in the upcoming draft and free agency.

5 ) We need to try and get a good Left or Right Tackle in either the draft or free agency. That way we'll have a much better o-line than last year. david d. can move to guard with snee... and luke and a new left or right tackle can provide outside protection and our center is fine for now. If you think about it.. our o-line isn't that bad at all.. tiki barber was one of the best running backs this past year (one of the top 5) .. so if our o-line can improve a little bit in the offseason.. then i think barber will be making another pro-bowl appearance in 2006 (hopefuly).. Doing all this will also give Shockey more chances to run out and catch some balls because usually he has to stay in the pocket with the o-line to help block to protect manning and make room for barber to run after catching a screen pass.

6 ) I think the giants can make the playoffs without adding a speedy wide reciever. I think Toomer and Taylor have what it takes to catch those deep balls (taylor has proved it recently) And with Tim Carter being healthy.. everyone knows he's fast as hell (just as fast as Terrel Owens But not as fast as Harrison, Holt, or Moss. But Manning can use a reciever with that speed and Carter will have to play at his hardest this upcoming season to prove that he belongs in new york as one of Eli's targets to pass to. I really don't think giants should focus on Wide Recievers in the upcoming draft and free agency.. I think they should focus on Middle Linebacker, Defensive Tackle, Offensive Linemen, and Back-up Power Running Back(for 3rd and short situations) I think we should focus on Wide Recievers in Next Year's Draft because we'll have our Round 1 pick back along with the rest of the rounds.

The Giants will get better.. i'm proud to have manning on the team, they just need a little bit of time, and i promise EVERYONE that Tom Coughlin will turn this team into an Elite Team that will be on the top charts with teams like the Eagles and Steelers. (by the way, did everyone watch the Giants vs. Steelers game?? Giants only lost by 3 points !!!!! That means they had a chance to win !!! and the Giants had most of their starters on Injured Reserve when they played the steelers.. so can you imagine what the giants could have done to the steelers with all of their starters healthy ???? !!!!!!

I'm confident, i know the G-men will be back in the playoff hunt. This upcoming season is gonna look good.. its the feeling I have that's telling me all of this.

thanks for reading
socalscholar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Free Agency Reply with quote

Here is a list of free agents at positions that the Giants currently need. Who do you think the Giants should pick up and who do you think they will?
This also all depends on franchise tags!

OT
Walter Jones
Orlando Pace
Jonas Jennings
Tra Thomas

LB
Edgerton Hartwell
Marc Fields
Kendrell Bell

WR
Plaxico Burress
Corey Bradford
Troy Walters
Joey Galloway
James Thrash

DT
Shaun Rodgers
Jason Ferguson
Josh Evans
Chris Hovan
Tony Williams
Luther Ellis

S
Gary Baxter
Donovan Darius
Adrian Wilson
Keion Carpenter
Dwight Smith

RB/FB
Lamont Jordan
Chester Taylor
Chris Fuamatu-Ma'Afala
Garrison Hearst
Eddie George
Greg Comella
Mike Sellars
Stanley Pritchett

DE
Darren Howard
Eric Flowers
Adalius Thomas

K
Wade Richey

I may be wrong about a couple of these guys by the way, but give me some input on who would be a good pick up.
RicedOut5165

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least one of those OT's... They should make LB Bell a really good offer cuz nick greisen won't help us at all... make a really good offer to plaxico... and i also think Reggie Wayne will be a free agent so we should make him an offer too. I heard rumors on sports radio about giants wanting to go after Plax and Wayne. DT Jason Ferguson will be re-signed by the jets so he wont be available. They should try to get Josh Evans becuause he played pretty well before his season ending injury last year. I think they should just try there best to make all of these guys an offer and then they should see who is interested and who isn't. I'm hoping for a Free Safety... MLB... DT... OT ... and WR. If atleast one guy in each of these positions get's signed... we should be fine next season. All i want is to kick the eagles [inappropriate/removed] twice in a row, which hasn't happened in a while.
socalscholar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: I hear ya! Reply with quote

I really hope the Giants make some good smart moves with some of these players. The fact that alot of them are really not that high profile is a good sign. The Giants never sign any high profile guys. Now that Walter Jones signed a 7 year deal, the OT market just got a little tighter. Jonas Jennings is the guy the Giants will probably target, but I just don't know what he'll ask. If Bell and Evans check out healthy, then their addition to the roster would be huge. A good free agent FS would be icing on the cake, but some of these needs will come from the draft. I am definately hoping the Giants are motivated by the thought kicking the "snot" out of the Eagles this year. I hear you there! That is step 1 to the super bowl!
marc1838

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that health would beneift the Giants more than anything, with the exception of a top LT, which they probably wont get through FA.... personally I wouldn't pay a guy like Jennings what he's asking. Other than that...

D-Line: Although it would be nice to sign a few younger players, I'd hold off for one more year.

LB's" This is where the mess starts... Green cant stay healthy, we have no MLB and Torbor is a "tweener" who's great in a 3-4, but must improve to stay on the field in a 4-3 as an OLB. I like Emmons, but who knows how long he'll be around. I think this should be the second priority for the Giants in FA in the draft. I like Kendrell Bell and Hartwell, but if they're asking for too much, I think the draft is full of solid MLB's and a few OLB's.

Secondary: Move Gibril Wilson (assuming he's healthy) to SS and sign a FS. As for CB, get rid of Will Allen and draft a CB in round 2 (assuming there's no LT available).

O-Line: This is the big question mark.... Will Khalif barnes fall? Will the Giants overpay a decent LT? Jones and Pace are out of consideration, so I think we'll see the Giants try to draft a LT. If no one is worth the pick, Luke P. will be the starter again.

WR: Quite simply, a draft must, but I dont like the FA's. Either too old or headaches (Plaxico).

RB: Limited crop in FA, save for Lamont Jordan.... many in the draft.

Unofortunately, we're short on picks!
socalscholar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: FA/DRAFT STRATEGY Reply with quote

I think the Giants should sign Jennings at OT,Hartwell at LB, Josh Evans at DT, and maybe a good FS. I think the draft will be their best bet for evrything else. I think the Giants wil have a very good chance at having a very good receiver slip to them. Last year was a deep WR draft, meaning many teams will not be looking that way this year. I think Roddy White will be the guy the Giants end up with. I think Mike Nugent, the PK out of Ohio State would be the best pick for the Giants in the 3rd round. In the 4th round, there is that kid Jacobs out of So. Illinois. He is a 260 monster who could fill in at FB and he has the burst Dayne never had.
marc1838

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

socalscholar... all good players, but i think the giants should focus elsewhere in the draft than a kicker and a fullback.... many starters were actually 6th or 7th round picks, and many more UFA's. i'd rather try to stack the defense with our top picks.
socalscholar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: team needs Reply with quote

Hey Marc,

what specific draft picks would you suggest?
Joro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the giants should go all out on kendrell bell. we couldnt keep what shouldve been short gains last year from springing into first downs. as for hartwell, no because playing next to ray lewis can mask a lot of weaknesses. that should be our no.1 FA priority. no.2 should be to get a DT, and im liking tony williams. those 2 fa signings would bolster our D a great deal. and then get Kareem McKenzie at OT. he played very well for the jets, and could fill in and dominate at LT right away. then id focus in on the draft on offense. chris henry should be there when the giants pick, and believe me, he has the tools to be just as good as braylon or mike williams.his character could be an issue, but it seems to me a lot of collegiate foolishness is lost in the nfl, and under coughlin's tutelage, it wont fly. in the 3rd round id make sure to come away with a backup RB to tiki, preferably one that has a nose for those short yardage situation. vernand morency might be available, but if not, there are others capable of doing the job.

Big Blue doing big things in 2007-08
socalscholar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: PK Reply with quote

Nobody here is addressed the need for a place kicker. The Giants lost many close games last year due in part. a big part, to not having a decent kicking game. Feagles I still think is an incredible directional punter, but Steve Christie had no leg on kick offs and was a mediocre at field goals at best. If healthy, I like Joe Nedney, who was cut by the Titans. Otherwise, draft Mike Nugent, the stud PK from Ohio State. The special teams yards gained from the PK are quite often overlooked and can mean an extra series of downs each time an opposing offense comes on the field. So, we bolster up the defense along with the addition of a good PK and the Giants will be in the playoffs this year.
Joro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: PK Reply with quote

socalscholar wrote:
Nobody here is addressed the need for a place kicker. The Giants lost many close games last year due in part. a big part, to not having a decent kicking game. Feagles I still think is an incredible directional punter, but Steve Christie had no leg on kick offs and was a mediocre at field goals at best. If healthy, I like Joe Nedney, who was cut by the Titans. Otherwise, draft Mike Nugent, the stud PK from Ohio State. The special teams yards gained from the PK are quite often overlooked and can mean an extra series of downs each time an opposing offense comes on the field. So, we bolster up the defense along with the addition of a good PK and the Giants will be in the playoffs this year.

that was 2003 buddy. last year, outside of the GB game which we won anyway, steve christie had a very solid season, particularly in his 3/4 from beyond 50 yards. with the giants urgent needs elsewhere, they dont have the luxury of spending a 3rd rounder on a kicker, as good as mike nugent is. people look to adam vinatieiri and sure he is a great, but there is a team that gives him the opportunity to do so.

Big Blue doing big things in 2007-08
socalscholar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: PK Reply with quote

He was 78.6 % for the season and all I know is there were many 3/4 from more than fifty is a telling stat. They clearly did'nt have confidence in him from long distance if he only had four attempts all season. Also look at the average return yardage against him. He was fifteen in avg kickoff distance, 57.7 yards, which means a team starts running it back from their 8 yard line. He kicked 2 touchbacks all season! Not good! How is that not a vital need? Like I said, this is hidden yardage that wins games!
sorozco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PLAYMAKER on defense. After Strahan and Wilson were lost for the season, the defense was horrendous. The Giants will always need to be a defense-first team, it is their natural make up. The second round pick needs to be a middle linebacker which their are plenty of in the draft. They can't afford to have Greisen and Lewis getting blown up at the line and then chasing big plays because they are way too slow.

Draft a middle linebacker with the second round pick, and then a free safety with the third round pick so that Shaun Williams and Brent Alexander both way too slow can be erased from our memories forever. Then place Wilson at SS.

As for the offense, the Giants just can't draft wide receivers. Joe Jurevicius, Brian Alford, Ron Dixon, Tim Carter, Ike Hilliard, all awful. Go after a veteran at WR like Derrick Mason who got released by the Titans. Godd possesion WR who can help bring Manning along.

In summary, draft a MLB, and FS with the high picks. Help the offense with a veteran tackle and WR like Derrick Mason.

A short yardage back would be great too. Someone like a Zack Crockett. Kyle Eckel perhaps.
JackthePeenStalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel MLB is our biggest concern. The Offensive line has been hurt with injuries. But I think they will be a much better group next year even without chaning the line up. Jason Whittle might lose his job, he's an 8 year pro now so he's getting a bit old but from what I hear Seubert is coming back. After having Diehl learn the Tackle position this year, he should be improved by next year too. So we have:
LT Luke Petigout
LG Rich Seubert
C Sean O'Hara
RG Chris Snee
RT David Diehl

Not too bad. But then we have Kevin Lewis and Nick Greisen. That is what really needs an upgrade. Maybe a guy like Odell Thurman or Kirk Morrison. MLB is definitely a need whether is be in Free Agency or the Draft.

FS is the safety need. But it may not be a need. Shaun Williams is over-payed. As for Gibril Wilson, he is ALREADY a Strong Safety. Brent Alexander is an old fart. He got lucky on a few plays, his days as a productive player are over. Williams has been injured so it's not like he has stunk the last two years but he has been a disappointment. I say move Wilson to Free Safety. He is smaller and faster than Williams and would be better in coverage as a Free Safety and Williams could play up closer to the line where he would cover slower guys like the TE's. After releasing Omar Stoutmire they have a need at FS and they're going to have to solve this problem whether it be moving a player's position or drafting a player in the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: