Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off season signing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superchargers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Off season signing Reply with quote

According to ESPN insider several marquee players may not get signed by their current teams. Among those listed here are some that the Chargers should think about acquiring:

Az Hakim, Isaac Bruce, Kyle Turley, John Runyan, La Roi Glover, Michael Strahan,Peter Boulware, Derrick Brooks, Willie McGuinest, John Lynch, and Patrick Surtain.

I'm not saying that we will pursue any of them, but we should at least keep our eyes open.
boltfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Turley and Willie McGinest at the right price.
mwn124

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: free agents Reply with quote

signing coles or mason ia a better choice than trading multiple picks to move up to take either edwards or williams. i could see mason lined up opposite of mccardell along with gates,neal, lt, and brees. now that would be solid. use your 1st rounders on defense. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!
seahawks8228

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree we gota sign mason that would b awesome
SDChargers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we? by the looks of your name your a seaslugs fan.

But seahawks arent i our division so i dont hate you.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey take it easy on the new guy. Don't get me wrong i'm a die hard chargers fan, but u always have to have a backup team to root for when the chargers have a bye week or don't make the playoffs. My such team is the bengals and i post pretty frequently on their forum and got a lot of flack for my name. I just welcome all charger fans (unless they are raider fans also)
SDChargers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know thats why is aid i dont hate him no harm meant fella.
boltfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mason would be a great addition to the mighty bolts!
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes he would and if we had the cap, which e might what about coles! Mason is great, but do we really need a solid veteran reciever. I want that 28 year old speed guy to hit the homerun.
peched101

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Chargers should actively pursuit either Dwight Smith or Darius. The number one need this offseason is the Free Safety position. The Chargers need an experienced cover safety. The Chargers have too much inexperience in their backfield. Jerry Wilson is simply too slow and overmatched! Too much blame was given to the corners, but the Safety position was obviously the weak point. A veteran wide receiver would also be nice. Mason has already stated that he wants to play for the Chargers. I would prefer the Chargers use their first three picks in the draft on: 1) D-line 2) Linebacker 3)Offensive Tackle.
mwn124

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: charger needs Reply with quote

i agree with peches. sign a veteran wr and safety with the cap money and use the draft picks for dl,lb,and off line. i wouldnt be opposed either of maybe trading down a little bit and picking up extra picks. we will get as good of a player at 20 as we would at 12. being able to pick up extra picks along the way would make us just that much better.
superchargers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some questions...Where did you hear that Mason wanted to play for the Chargers? Isn't Donavan Darius a strong saftey? Why did Dwight Smith rank so low in espn's list of free agents?..it says that he cant cover deep along with some other bad stuff.

If the Chargers could pick up Mason or some other stud receiver in FA I would be stoked to pick up Spears and Pool in the draft. If we pick up a WR and a FS I'd like to see us draft Spears and the best possible OT or LB at #28...or trade down pick up Derrick Johnson and get Canty in round 2.

So many possibilities, I'm sure AJ Smith has his hands full.
peched101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, Darius is now out. Dwight Smith might not be a great safety, but he is a damn good cover guy. He completely shut down Gates when they matched up earlier this year. Along with the development of their young secondary, a proven player like Smith would instantly improve their pass coverage. With all the new rules favoring the offensive, a good secondary must be developed under the guidance of a good system, not individual players. Look at the Pats! Chargers have learned from their mistakes, they will no longer overpay for players. Smith could be signed at a decent salary without taking a huge cap hit. Demps could also be a good pick-up. I heard Hacksaw (AM 570) say that Mason has mentioned wanting to play for the Chargers on recent interviews.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do u listen to that styation they are sellouts. They dont care abouit san diego they just wanted to take the money and leave, although i do admit hacksaw does try to talk about the chargers it seems like dodgers raiders and lakers over there. 1090 baby is the real station.
phicart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peched101 wrote:
Obviously, Darius is now out. Dwight Smith might not be a great safety, but he is a damn good cover guy. He completely shut down Gates when they matched up earlier this year. Along with the development of their young secondary, a proven player like Smith would instantly improve their pass coverage. With all the new rules favoring the offensive, a good secondary must be developed under the guidance of a good system, not individual players. Look at the Pats! Chargers have learned from their mistakes, they will no longer overpay for players. Smith could be signed at a decent salary without taking a huge cap hit. Demps could also be a good pick-up. I heard Hacksaw (AM 570) say that Mason has mentioned wanting to play for the Chargers on recent interviews.

Smith is too small to play in our conference. You're right that Gates did not have a dominate game against Tampa, but with Parker going for 118 and LT rushing for another 131, Gates was a non factor. Also, Tony Gonzalez had 123 yards for KC in their game against Tampa. Keil is 5'11 and Smith is 5'10'...with the Raider Minnesota thing going down, we will be playing four games in 05 against either Gonzalez or Randy Moss. We need to draft Ernest Shazor 6'4", 230, with 4.45 speed as SS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: