Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Greatest Show On Turf... Cowboys Style?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: The Greatest Show On Turf... Cowboys Style? Reply with quote

Everyone can say what they want about Bledsoe (old, slow, statue, etc), but just look at the possibilities. I can just see the Boys lining up in a three receiver set... Key, Glenn and ? (MW, BE, Williamson or a free agent WR like Mason, Muhammad, or Bruce) with Witten at tight end and JJ taking draws out of the backfield. You gonna put 8 men in the box? You gonna single cover the receivers? You play coverage and JJ and Whitten you kill you. You defend the run and we WILL have open receivers all day long. Pick your poison. Honestly, what team other than the Colts would have more talent at skill position than the Boys?

Also, when Bledsoe had receivers, he was very good. Look at his first year in B-lo. The last two years in B-lo, he only had one good receiver with an awful o-line. Let's give him a chance. If the o-line protects him as well as it did Vinnie this year... the Boys could have the greatest show on Turf... Cowboys style.
Soup Nazi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you spelt wittens name right the first time why not the second

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offense could open up a little bit with another playmaker. But how good is it to score 30 a game and give up 35. We still need to address the D. Im with you Slamman I would love to have a high powered offense, I just want a high powered defense as well.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need defense. A good offense can score points I agree but a good defense can stop the opponent from scoring and also score points with turn overs.
Defense first then offense!
denjenn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our offense will only be as good as our offensive line is. and it wasn't all that good last year.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be willing to bet it gets better this year. If we pick up a O- Lineman in FA and stay healthy we will be fine.

Spend JJ Spend!
Battlelordz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Witten, it's a good thing we have him or Bledsoe would be a waste of cap space. He needs a good TE to excel. He's a posession WR type QB as well. He and KJ should fit nicely together for the next couple of years.

My apologies to Henson fans.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things. First, I'm a defense guy all the way. I firmly believe that defense wins championships. That being said, I would advocate a pick in the first round being used to pick up a wr... especially if MW or BE are available at 11 or if Williamson is available at 20. Otherwise, I would be happy with taking Henry or White in the Second round or picking up a solid free agent who wouldnt break the bank like Mason or Muhammad. I do think that the other two of the top three picks should be used on defense... namely defensive and probably dt.

However, consider this... The defense looked terrible last year but I would venture to say that if Woody did not get injured, the Boys would have made the playoffs. Think about it. Without Woody, Roy was forced to play coverage, not roam the line of scrimmage and blitz. That was the strength of the Boys #1 ranked defense in 03. If the Boys pick up a solid veteran free safety and cornerback in free agency which sucessfully allows Roy to roam again, I firmly believe that the Boys would have a top 5 defense again. Now with a top 5 D and high power offense, the Boys could compete in the playoffs instead of the one and done of two years ago.

Second, the o-line really did not suck last year. The right side of the line had its share of pepto moments, but as a whole... not too bad. I say that because JJ averaged over 100 yards a game and even Vinnie had time to through the ball more often than not. The line does need some tweaking but not wholesale changes. Also, when a team has offensive weapons that the Boys have, teams will have to be carefull with all out blitzes. Just look at the Colts. There o-line is solid but is nothing compared to what Dallas had in the 90s.
jgkgdg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's lost in all this Bledsoe talk is the fact that we'll still have 16+ mill and 2 first round picks. You spend 4 mill on a good RT, you have Peterman back at RG, you spend 5 mill on a WR (Coles, Mason, etc). That leaves you with 2 1st rounders, and 7 mill to spend on the Defense. So, it is possible to have a lights out offense, and a defense that, though not great, gets it done.
GeorgiaBoy367

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont the first rounders take up cap space for this year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: