Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gibbs busted for tampering with Muhammads agent?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Gibbs busted for tampering with Muhammads agent? Reply with quote

Gibbs might have tampered
The News
Joe Gibbs may have spoken too freely during a radio appearance on Monday when he stated that the agent for Panthers' wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad had told him, "Show me the money." The problem with the comment is that Muhammad is still under contract to the Panthers, which means the Skins are not allowed to speak with his agent regarding contract matters. Panthers' officials did not comment on the matter when reached by the Rock Hill Herald on Wednesday.
Our View
If found guilty of tampering, the Redskins could be fined or lose draft picks. Oddly enough, the Panthers had two draft picks taken away and were fined $150,000 in 1995 when they contacted their eventual head coach Dom Capers sooner than league rules allowed. Panthers' officials don't seem to be too concerned over Gibbs' comments, but we'll continue to follow this story to see if the team files a complaint with the league.

What do you guys think of this bonehead move?
avbanig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously its a bonhead move....
If a guy is under contract with another team you can't make contacts with him...
But the question is, did the agent make contact to the Redskins, to see if they are interested in Mohammad, or was Gibbs the one who initiated the contact.
If Gibbs is the one who initiated the contact, then it was a bonehead move and we'll probably get fined or something, but if the Agent made the contact to us, then it would be different.
I guess either way, its just stupid, we'll just have to wait to see what happens.
avbanig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mohhamad is probably going to the eagles if he's released anyways...
The Eagles players already courted him during the probowl like they did last year with TO and Jevon Kearse. They have more $ to offer him, and he's towards the end of his career and probably wants to get back to the superbowl and have a chance to win it.

Next year if the Eagles have Muhamad and TO at wide out and Pinky is the third option, then look out that team is going to be dangerous....

I don't know what they are looking to draft this year, but they should probably look at drafting a big back, thats something they obviously are missing!
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were Gibbs and Muhammads agent came to me and asked if I had any interest in his player, I would have said yes or no but we'll talk after March 2nd. Muhammads agent wouldn't have said "Show me the money" unless someone asked him how much is he asking for.

Either way that was VERY stupid on Gibbs part.
Even if it did happen, You don't say it on the radio Embarassed

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB Exclamation Exclamation
avbanig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true...Gibbs seems so nieve sometimes...like with the whole Brunnell disaster, sometimes I wonder is he stupid, or just stuborn.
And I still think Gibbs is on could 9 with the whole free agency thing, which is sad, because I thought he'd be smarter than that, especially seeing how the skins skrewed up with it the past 5 years.

We really need a GM, bad.... someone who understand the salary cap, who understands what we need, and understands what players are worth...

We will probably never get one, but that's what we need.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Gibbs will catch on with the X's and O's of todays game in time but he should not be allowed around FA signings, Salary cap issues or microphones(Reporters) Very Happy
e16bball

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this whole thing has been blown out of proportion like crazy. Did any of you actually hear the radio broadcast?

Gibbs was on the radio doing a show where Skins fans called and asked questions. One fan called and asked point blank "Do you have any interest in proven receivers like Burress or Muhammad?"

Gibbs responded that those guys are great receivers, but the Skins probably arent interested. He made the point that Plaxico and Muhsin both would command a large salary. That is when he said, "I think Muhammad's agent has said something to the effect of 'Show me the money'" and then he and the broadcaster and the fan all laughed. It was a joke, not an inadvertant admission of illicit conversations.

Yes, he shouldn't have talked about it. But who cares? The Panthers apparently don't, according to the article you posted, and good for them. They were able to see through all this conspiracy bull$hit that has been thrown out there, not that its particularly to see through in the first place.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs of War, great signature block

Joe Gibbs was never that quick on his feet in front of the media. That was a really stupid thing to say but hopefully they can skate by. There is no eveidence that either party spoke other than Joe Gibbs making reference to a conversation that may or may not have occured. Hopefully nothing detrimental will come of it. We dont have the draft picks to spare. What I wouldn't mind happeneing is Gibbs or Snyder getting fined. Learn a lesson with your money, not our draft picks!!!!!
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riggensghost wrote:
Dogs of War, great signature block

Joe Gibbs was never that quick on his feet in front of the media. That was a really stupid thing to say but hopefully they can skate by. There is no eveidence that either party spoke other than Joe Gibbs making reference to a conversation that may or may not have occured. Hopefully nothing detrimental will come of it. We dont have the draft picks to spare. What I wouldn't mind happeneing is Gibbs or Snyder getting fined. Learn a lesson with your money, not our draft picks!!!!!

Everyone in the NFL knows that the Skins would rather be fined than picks taken away.
Taking picks would hurt so much more. I hear that it is usually a 3rd and 4th round pick (Mid Round) pick that is taken. If there is no or not enough mid round picks they might take the 1st and no fine.

OUCH Exclamation

MUCH WORSE THAN A FINE Exclamation
up da gut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the radio shoe on 106.7 FM and Gibbs said nothing of the sort. He was asked what did he think of him as a receiver and Gibbs said " He's a good receiver, but he's in his thirtys and most likely will be his last NFL contract which most likely means SHOW ME THE MONEY and we don't know if we're ready to give it to him". Stop spreading rumors.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs shot himself in the foot last off season with the signing of Burnell and it wouldn't suprise me if he did it again this off season with some stupid comment like that.

I believe that "rumor" started on fanball.com not me. Cool

So chill out Nim, I'm not the one who stuck my foot in my mouth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: