Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers defense..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: 49ers defense.. Reply with quote

I think the niners defense gonna be better in the up coing season, becasue JP is coming back and if we get some Bd help in the draft we would be solid in the secondary..tell me what u think of how the niners defense gonna do next year..with the 3-4 defense.
olinono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching last year's terrible setup of the 3-4, I don't believe we have the lineman to really be effective. Andre Carter is perfect for the 4-3 but in the 3-4, he is not going to engage enough lineman for the LBs to do enough damage. Add to that that BY is not big enough to get the double team and we have lineman that might not be niners next year. I would hate to see Carter and BY leave so I am not too excited to see them switch to the 3-4.

Hopefully I am mistaken about their setup and BY and Carter will actually be good for the 3-4. Can someone correct me if I am wrong? What do they plan to do with the lineman that they have?
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolan has said Anthony Adams and Isaac Sopoaga look like good Nose Tackles for the 3-4 with BY as the strongside DE. Carter would move to the 'Elephant' (ala Charles Haley). As for the other end, perhaps Brandon Whiting or a future FA/draft pick.

Nolan has also said that last year's attempts to configure a true 3-4 were pathetic and ineffective. Do not base our future success on what Robinson and Erickson tried to do. Nolan is much better at it than they are.

When in doubt, listen to the coach.
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of the 3-4 however do you see them standing andre carter up like the way they used Terrel Suggs in Baltimore and maybe moving Winborn inside on some plays.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3-4 will work, provided we add depth both up front and at LB. I actually think Adams would be better suited outside, but even if they leave him inside, BY and Whiting have the size to absorb blocks and free the backers. Also, I'm hoping we bring back Tony Brown, who played very well last season...he's also a big body that can play end. And go get Carl Powell from the Bengals...I'm on the Carl Powell bandwagon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nor*cal09 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the 3-4 however do you see them standing andre carter up like the way they used Terrel Suggs in Baltimore and maybe moving Winborn inside on some plays.

Yes.
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson and Carter as the 2 standing pass rushers would be a pretty scary sight. the rest of the defense should be solid also.
MNorona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolan's got this under control...defensively at least. The obvious strength of our D is our linebackers. Julian Peterson, Jamie Winborn, Derek Smith, and Jeff Ulbrich all on the field at the same time!! This could be fun to watch. Andre Carter and John Engelberger may both be undersized for the scheme, but we'll find out soon. If they aren't the right people for the job, Carter will be easy to trade because he is great in the 4-3 and we could draft Shaun Cody from USC, he's the perfect size for the position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: