You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kyle Boller

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Kyle Boller Reply with quote

I was thinking about Kyle Boller's perforance against the Bengals this past sunday and was trying to understand his sudden explosion of play making. Sure it was mostly against a weaker prevent defense and it was certainly a case of too little too late, but something must have happened for him to atleast start making some plays. By the time the Bengals were up 34-0, Kyle Boller was a pathetic 4/15 for 37 yards and 2 INTs. However for the final quarter and a half, Boller was 14/17 for 174 yards and 3 TDs. So what is the explanation for this? Could it be that Kyle Boller figured "Hey, Ive been terrible and were down by 34 points, why not just go out there and wing it?" I think its possible that the lack of Boller's success can atleast be partially blamed on him not being able to handle the expectations and pressure. He has been trying too hard to make a big play, trying to hard to impress people. Its a true boomerang affect here. He tries too hard to play well and because of this he actually plays even worse. Perhaps when he looked up at the scoreboard and realized his stats, he just figured he would go out there and just play natrually. Just play some backyard football chucking it up to Todd Heap. I think those final 20 minutes or so, it seemed like the Ravens threw (and connected on) more deep passes then they have all year.

Am I just thinking too hard to come up with an excuse for Boller or could this actually make sense? If that just came out as jibberish mumbling let me know, but I thought it was something interesting to think about. I guess we will see as the season finishes up.
DaKingPin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that is what happened. But I heard the bengals took out a few starters. Like rudi johnson which wouldn't really effect bollers performance but also odel thurman their linebacker. I'm not sure who else they took out if anyone else.
raven5255

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i wouldnt be at all suprised if the Bengals took out some of their starters with a 34 point lead. Oh well, it was still interesting to see some rare big plays, even though it was way too late.
RavensWin520

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his press conference, he made a comment like "We were down 34-0, what was there to worry about. I need to play like that all the time, slow it down." I sure hope he plays like that all the time from now on, but I doubt he will.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyle Boller Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:

Am I just thinking too hard to come up with an excuse for Boller or could this actually make sense? If that just came out as jibberish mumbling let me know, but I thought it was something interesting to think about. I guess we will see as the season finishes up.

i think its a little bit of both. i think you, like all ravens fans, are trying to look for the silver lining. and boller did play well at the end. but he played well in garbage time, against a prevent D, he was absolutely pathetic when it was still a game. but you are right, he was more relaxed at the end, and if he can translate that through a whole game, he could still be a good QB. my opinion: hes shown some progress from the Jacksonville debacle through a solid win over Pittsburgh, and the end of the Cincy game. if he can start to relax and stop trying TOO hard for the big play, we give him another year. but if he plays like he did to put the bengals up 34-0, its time for Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, or Matt Leinart.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget though he made big plays against those prevent D's. He threw for 2 pretty long passes rather than 10 dumpoffs underneath into the endzone. Heres me conspiracy theory: When we arent down 34-0 the coaches are still trying to play the 2000 Ravens style- Dont mess up, Run the ball, play defense. Well, thats not gonna work now. Our running game has sucjed and our d just isnt what it used to be. When Boller got the chance to air it out a bit, he was able to succeed.
RavensWin520

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Dont forget though he made big plays against those prevent D's. He threw for 2 pretty long passes rather than 10 dumpoffs underneath into the endzone. Heres me conspiracy theory: When we arent down 34-0 the coaches are still trying to play the 2000 Ravens style- Dont mess up, Run the ball, play defense. Well, thats not gonna work now. Our running game has sucjed and our d just isnt what it used to be. When Boller got the chance to air it out a bit, he was able to succeed.
The prevent defense is also what got Carson's career started. Ever since that comeback in Baltimore, he has looked amazing.

However, Boller has looked good before, but he is just too inconsistent. For every good game he gives you, you will get 3 or 4 bad ones in return
Daytrader

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the 2nd half of the Bengals game can give him a confidence boost. I can't believe he has been very confident considering the numbers he has put up. We'll see if this carrys over to the rest of the season.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytrader wrote:
Maybe the 2nd half of the Bengals game can give him a confidence boost. I can't believe he has been very confident considering the numbers he has put up. We'll see if this carrys over to the rest of the season.

yeah i'm hoping the cincy game opened his eyes bit, showed him that things come naturally if you don't try too hard for it. hes been looking down recievers, too often trying to force balls in looking for the big play, Neuheisel and Fassel need to hammer it into his head that he needs to relax. hes got 2 top recieving threats at their positions in Mason and Heap. just relax, don't force balls in, let the D and running game make some plays.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we all have to acknowledge is that this was definetly a realy bad time for the offensive line and running game to breakdown. I dont want to keep making excuses for Boller, but you gotta admit he hasnt had the best of luck. He was the starter from day 1. Played the first 8 games of his career and was injured in his 9th. That year, 2003, the Ravens had a clear cut dominant defense led by defensive player of the year Ray Lewis and the Ravens also had the leagues best running game lead by the 2000 yard rusher Jamal Lewis. Then in the only season he has been able to play the entire year, the running game broke down a little bit with Lewis being suspended/injured, the offensive line suffered a couple injuries, he had no receivers to throw to and Todd Heap missed 11 games. And now, in 2005, he finally has Derrick Mason and Mark Clayton to join Todd Heap, but the offensive line is now in the bottom quarter of the league, the defense has been plagued by injuries, and the running game has dropped off the face of the planet. He may never be a good QB, but he just never caught a break as he was triyng to develope.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the biggest reason that he wont be successful in this league IMO is not that he lacks talent. I think the problem if he fails is that at this point he could be damaged goods. 3 years of getting beat up with all of those unfortunate circumstances might have damaged his confidence and mechanics so much that he cant be or it isnt worth trying to fix him. Iono thats just a thought
Daytrader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see Boller either do great or fall apart the rest of the season. I don't want to see stats like 20-32, 180 yds 1 TD 1 INT.

I want either 24-32, 260 yds, 3 TDS 0 INT OR
16-32, 140 yds, 0 TDS 3 INT

That way it will be clear what to do w/ the QB situation next yr. Personally I've given up on Boller as being a starter. I think he may be someone who can help the team in a backup role. I really want to see the Ravens get a decent QB next yr, not some 6th round lottery pick....
raven5255

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im starting to believe more and more in what Mike Preston (Baltimore Sun sports writer) is saying and that is that is doesnt matter who the quarterback is in Baltimore, they probably wont be as good as the possibly could be. Not untill Brian Billick is gone and a new system is in place. Quarterbacks just cannot succeed in this system. Vinny Testeverde is the one and only 3000+ yard passer in Ravens history and that was way back in 1996. Personally, i think Boller does in fact have what it takes, but it is just so hard for a QB to succeed with big numbers here. You said you want to see 24-32 for 260 yards and 3 TD games? Well that will rarely, if ever happen in Baltimore's current offensive system. Even Peyton Manning would have a hard time to get those numbers here at this point. I do not really want to see us make another big time investment in a QB like a first round draft pick, not right now atleast. This team has too many other holes to be playing musical quarterbacks, by the time we actually find a big time passer, the team around him will be completely deteriorated and it wont matter anyway.
Daytrader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
Im starting to believe more and more in what Mike Preston (Baltimore Sun sports writer) is saying and that is that is doesnt matter who the quarterback is in Baltimore, they probably wont be as good as the possibly could be. Not untill Brian Billick is gone and a new system is in place. Quarterbacks just cannot succeed in this system. Vinny Testeverde is the one and only 3000+ yard passer in Ravens history and that was way back in 1996. Personally, i think Boller does in fact have what it takes, but it is just so hard for a QB to succeed with big numbers here. You said you want to see 24-32 for 260 yards and 3 TD games? Well that will rarely, if ever happen in Baltimore's current offensive system. Even Peyton Manning would have a hard time to get those numbers here at this point. I do not really want to see us make another big time investment in a QB like a first round draft pick, not right now atleast. This team has too many other holes to be playing musical quarterbacks, by the time we actually find a big time passer, the team around him will be completely deteriorated and it wont matter anyway.

Yes I agree w/ the Billick comment. He has to go, the system is a big part of the problem. If we get a young QB we need a line to protect him and a good offensive system and we don't have either. So what do you think, get a new coach, build up our offensive & defensive lines first, then get a QB in the 2007 draft? I guess we can go that route. Let the new coach help pick the next QB unless one falls in our lap. If the Vandy QB falls to us in the 2nd round for the 2006 draft though I think we would be CRAZY not to get him. Let him sit and learn for a year. I'm just really frustrated w/ the Ravens offense like everyone else. There have to be some major changes including coaching. What do you think the chances are Billick will be getting fired before next season?
raven5255

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I know how frustrating this offense can be. I just feel like there's not much of a point in using quarterback after quarterback in the same system. My fingers would cramp up if I tried to list all the different starting quarterbacks since the Billick era began in 1999. Im not saying Kyle Boller cant succeed, Im just saying that its very difficult to do that in this current system. Depending on what happens with Vince Young and Brady Quinn, next season could be a better year for adding a new QB. Assuming those 2 decide to say in school, they could join other QBs like Drew Stanton, possibly Chris Leak, and JaMarcus Russell. I dont want to see us pull a Packers move and take a QB for the simple "need" of it, then have the oppertunity to take a much better QB next season. As for Billick's chances of being fired, I would say a lot will have to do with how the Ravens finish the season, as well as the play of Kyle Boller. If the Ravens win finish 3-1 to have a final record of 7-9 and Kyle Boller doesnt completely stink it up, I would say Billick's job would probably be secure, but I still wouldnt be surpised to see him go. 6-10 or worse and I think there is much greater chance of Billick being fired then of him returning next season.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: