You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens defense next season

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What base defense should the Ravens use in 2006
3-4
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
4-3
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Ravens defense next season Reply with quote

What do you guys think will happen with the Ravens defense next season? We were supposed to use this nasty 46 defense this season, however it really hasnt been used much at all. Instead the Ravens have used a pretty basic 4-3, with a little bit of 3-4 mixed in.

We all know that injuries have hit this defense hard this season, however I dont think our run defense this season is as good as the past 2 seasons and more importantly, our pass rush doesnt seem to be as strong. Adalius Thomas is playing very well as 4-3 backer, but Suggs seemed to be more affected as a 3-4 backer, rather than a 4-3 end.

The Ravens also have 4 members of the front 7 that will be up for free agency in linebackers Tommy Polley and Bart Scott and defensive linemen Anthony Weaver and Maake Kemoeatu. The status of those players could play a factor in determing which base defense the Ravens will use next season. Depending on what defense we plan on using, it could also impact who we draft. For example Mario Williams would not fit the 3-4 nearly as well as he would fit the 4-3. So what base defense do you think the Ravens should use in 2006 as of right now?
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres how i would like to see it next year

DE Kelly Gregg
DT Larry Triplett (FA):Dwan Edwards
DE Mario Williams? (would he work in a 3-4) if not then Anthony Weaver
OLB Terrell Suggs
ILB Ray Lewis
ILB Bart Scott:Tommy Polley
OLB Adalius Thomas: Roderick Green
CB Chris McAlister: Tye Hill
CB Samari Rolle: Jamaine Winbourne/Zach Norton
FS no idea, maybe B.J. Ward if he can step it up or Mike Lorello
SS Ed Reed (move him back to where he was a gamechanger)

it's certainly not perfect, but i think it would work very well. question though, if we get Hali, Kiwi, or Mario Williams, do we have to stick with the 4-3?

i feel the 3-4 gives us the best chance to win, Suggs is a bigger playmaker at OLB and Reed is much more comfortable as a SS. the 3-4 also gives us more oppurtunities to play with Scott, Ray, and Adalius Thomas all on the field. i really don't know about FS, Demps looks down in Baltimore and at the moment my mind is blanking on FA safeties. anyone got any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would certainly be a possiblity for next seasons defense. Dont forget about Dan Cody either. Im sure he could play just fine in the 3-4. While I would love to have Mario Williams, Mathias Kiwanuka or Tamba Hali, I just dont see them working in the 3-4 defense. We dont have a need for a 3-4 backer anyway with Suggs, Thomas and Cody. A lot of people think Williams can play in the 3-4 as an end by looking at his size(around 285), however he is also 6-7, so while he is very strong and plays the run well, he is a speed rusher and just wouldnt fit the 3-4 defense well. If the Ravens intend on switching back into the 3-4, resigning Anthony Weaver is a must. In the draft we could look at guys like Rod Wright, Haloti Ngata and Orien Harris along the Dline. And depending on the free agen situations of Polley and Scott, we could use another inside backer as well.

It will be interesting to see how Newsome handles the DB situation this offseaosn with Demps and Chad Williams being free agents and Deion and Dale Carter retiring.

Personally I think we were more affective out of the 3-4 last season, but I think it will all come down to what Rex Ryan wants to do. While our defense hasnt been as good as it usually is, I dont see Rex Ryan being demoted after 1 season of Dcoordinator so I would think he would either want to stick in the 4-3 or maybe try to take another run at 46 after a season of testing it out. The 3-4 defense was Mike Nolan's creation, and it worked pretty well, especially considering out personell with 2 great rushing linebackers(Suggs, Thomas), 2 great inside backers(Lewis, Hartwell) and 2 great 3-4 DE (Douglas, Weaver). It will certainly be an interesting offseason.
mic79e

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ravens defense next season Reply with quote

The discission should come down to what formation best suits your players, so it's obviously too early to tell. Having said that, I would like us to play a 4-3 if we can get the right players.

Rex Ryan has not done a good job this season, but I think you're right Raven5255, he'll probably keep his job, well as long as Brian Billick does.

Speaking of Billick, if the team does stick with a 4-3 then this quote provides a bit of an insight, into what our deficiencies are seen to be, and what we may look to add in the off-season.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens06dec06034742,1,5939663.story?coll=bal-sports-football

Brian Billick wrote:

"We're a little undersized, and if you can isolate that, that tends to show up," Billick said. "We have to move some people around to account for that because of that size. The vogue thing in this league is to have two
huge people inside and get into that four-man front. But we don't have that size and that bulk to go about it that way, so we have to address it in other ways."
raven5255

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points there Mic79e, and thats an interesting quote from Brian Billick you included.

So if we stay in a 4-3 type formation would you guys advocate the Ravens letting Anthony Weaver walk and drafting a guy such as Mario Williams and Mathias Kiwanuka? I love Weaver, but he doesnt seem to the the 4-3 as well as he did the 3-4. Still I would love to have him back depending on how much money he wants, but Im not sure the Ravens would resign him and if they are planning on targeting a possible replacement for him.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we stay 4-3, id like to see mario williams, if we goto the 3-4 again, id like to see kemo and weaver brought back or maybe just weaver and draft haloti nagata. Hwe would be a huge addition in the 3-4 d.
Indianraven87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG our 3-4 D could be soo amazing

DE - Suggs
DT- Tripplet/Ngata
DE- Weaver
OlB- Polley
ILB- Lewis
ILB- Scott
OLB-Thomas
CB- Cmac
CB- Rolle
Nickle- Somebody young in the draft
FS- Tank Williams/ Demps
SS- ED Reed
raven5255

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrell Suggs cant play 3-4 DE and Polley shouldnt play 3-4 OLB. If we moved back into the 3-4, Suggs would be at OLB where he played his first 2 seasons recording 22 1/2 sacks and Polley(if he resigns), would play inside. Although with the emergence of Scott, I think it is unlikely that Polley and Scott are both resigned.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since Rod Green and Dan Cody are around and would ft well in the 3-4.
Dolphins9954

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indianraven87 wrote:
OMG our 3-4 D could be soo amazing

DE - Suggs
DT- Tripplet/Ngata
DE- Weaver
OlB- Polley
ILB- Lewis
ILB- Scott
OLB-Thomas
CB- Cmac
CB- Rolle
Nickle- Somebody young in the draft
FS- Tank Williams/ Demps
SS- ED Reed

what a waste of suggs....there is no way Suggs can play 3-4 end
mikedoobie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-4
DE - Athony Weaver
DT- Maake Kemoautu/ Haloti Ngata
DE- Dwan Edwards/Kelly Gregg
OlB- Terrell Suggs/Dan Cody
ILB- Ray Lewis
ILB- Bart Scott/Tommy Polley
OLB- Adauilus Thomas/Dan Cody
CB- Chris McAlister
CB- Samari Rolle
Nickle- Dale Carter/ either Gerrard McPherson or Marcus Maxey
FS- Will Demps / Drafted player-Nate Salley
SS- Ed Reed

This would need us to either draft Ngata to shore up the line or sign Kemo,,I am a huge fan of this front as it brings alot more pressure on the QB and fits extremely well for guys like Weaver, Suggs, Ngata or Kemo, and Ed Reed played better as an SS in it the what he has as a modified FS in the 46

4-3
DE - Terrell Suggs
DT- Kelly Gregg/Dwan Edwards
DT- Maake Kemoautu
DE- Mario Williams/Mathias Kiwanuka
ILB- Ray Lewis
OLB- Adaulus Thomas/Dan Cody
OLB- Tommy Polley/Bart Scott
CB- Chris McAlister
CB- Samari Rolle
Nickle- Dale Carter/ either Gerrard McPherson or Marcus Maxey
FS- Ed Reed
SS- Will Demps/ draft Nate Salley

In this situation we need to draft a DE and we can let Weaver go or keep him,,I like the 3-4 more and think we should change to that next year as it will be more effective for us
In both cases we need to resign Tommy Polley i think that is a must this offseason he has been extremely good this year

so i say we go 3-4

Doobie- Baltimore Ravens Loyalist

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: