Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2006 Mock Roster w/ explanations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikeFootball05

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: 2006 Mock Roster w/ explanations Reply with quote

This is how I would like our team's roster to be next year.

QB: Philip Rivers-At 30, Chad Pennington is too old and injury prone to be the franchise quarterback of this team. Rivers is young and has lots of potential. I know you might question him because he's been on the bench for 2 years, but we can get him back in game shape in a year, maybe two. Scouts say Rivers has good arm strength, good feet to move away from the rush in the pocket, makes good decisions, and a good leader that demands respect in the huddle.

RB: Reggie Bush (R)-I know its favored for San Francisco to get him, but he would be great in NY. He is a playmaker that'll give life to the offense. He can help us out at receiver and punt returner also. I know he can't carry the ball 25 times a game but if we use him well, he may just become the most dangerous, versatile weapon in the game. Plus he's got Curtis Martin to mentor him and he's a disciplined guy off the field. Blaylock and Houston will take the load off him.

FB: Jerald Sowell-I know he's old(32 next year) but he is one of the most underrated fullbacks in the lead. He has sure hands and will give Rivers a sure-handed option in the red-zone. He is an excellent blocker and has sprung Curtis Martin for consistent 1,000 yard seasons after the departure of Richie Anderson.

WR: Laveranues Coles, Charles Rodgers, and Jerricho Cotchery-Coles will be a great target for Rivers because he is consistent, physical, good jumping ability, and has that playmaking speed. He'll show why New York thought they were getting the better of the Coles-Moss trade. I'm sick of McCareins and his inability to catch passes, especially game winners. Now before you guys get angry about Charles Rodgers, just think. He'll be available next season because of a bad situation in Detroit. He's a great athlete, and Herman Edwards(if he stays) will be able to control his off the field antics. He wasn't picked 2nd overall in the 2003 draft for nothing. And believe me, it won't take Rodgers almost a season and a half to get his first 100 yard receiving game. With Chrebet most likely done for his career, Cotchery will step into the slot position and become the possession WR on the offense.

TE: Chris Baker-He as emerged as a great tight end target and blocker this year and will carry it into next year. Will give Rivers option in red zone.

O Line is difficult to assess due to the huge number of free agents and good lineman in the draft.

D Line: John Abraham, Dewayne Robertson, Orien Harris, and Shaun Ellis-Abraham Abraham is a play-maker through and through. He'll sign that multi year and million dollar contract he wants...if he stays healthy. When he's healthy and getting after the QB, he'll create more INTs for the secondary. Robertson is young but will take time to progress into a factor. Orien Harris can help our defense by clogging up the holes and stop the run. Ellis will be the other playmaker on the other side of the line and him and Abraham will make the game hell for the opposing QB and O Line.

LBS: Eric Barton, Jonathon Vilma, and Victor Hobson-Great group of young, talented run stoppers. Barton will bounce back after the injury he sustained this year but it will be unlikely if he will lead the team in tackles even if he becomes that tackling machine he was in 2004. Vilma is the star of the D and will take his play to superstar level(if it isn't already at it.) He is an excellent tackler, coverage backer, and leader. He is the next Ray Lewis AND WILL BE the best linebacker in the game. Hobson is young and consistent when healthy. He will get tackles and maybe an INT. But he will force and recover fumbles. With Mark Brown, Barry Gardener, and Darrell Mcclover to back these guys up, the linebackers will not tire themselves out and will have starter-capable guys to fill in for them to give them a rest.

DBS:Ty Law, Derrick Strait, Justin Miller, Erik Coleman, Kerry Rhodes-Law will bring experience to this young, blossiming secondary. Though Law has trouble with penalties, his ballhawking ability and coverage skills making him look 5 years younger. Strait is an up and comer and is a great DB with a bright future to replace Barrett who maybe a good tackler, is a bad coverage man. Miller will rotate with Strait and cover the faster receivers. Miller also has a bright future with plenty of potential. Coleman needs to be the ballhawker he was in 2004. Not the best tackler like Rhodes, he will need the D Line and LBs to take care of the run. Rhodes is also a ballhawker like Coleman, but will need a few years to become a more complete safety. He will rotate reguarly with Andre Maddox, Oliver Celestin, and Rashad Washington.

K: Mike Nugent-Nuge may be a disappointed this year, but inexperience can limit talent for only a certain amount of time. Nuge has a great leg and will create touchbacks on kickoffs and will make game winning field goals in the final seconds of crucial games.

P: Ben Graham-We took a chance signing him from Australian Rules and boy has it paid off. He is a great punter and has excellent leg strength with the ability to tackle the returner if it comes to that point. The 31 year old rookie has become a punter we can keep and rely on for the next few years. Kind of sad though that he was the best 2005 acquistion.

I know you all may have different ideas but this is what I would like to see next season.[/b]

Ok I'm sorry, do you WANT to lose? I throw, you catch, it's not that hard, ok? All right now get the f@$% outta here.

-Peyton Manning United Way SNL Skit
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of problems...but overall good.

1st thing to clarify is that Philip Rivers is in game shape. What you meant is he'll need a year or two to gain real experience. If you are a backup QB in the NFL you MUST be in game shape. If you are on an NFL roster coming into training camp then pre-season and then the regular season you MUST be in game shape. It is required. Anyway...I like Rivers at QB because in all likelihood we won't have to give up a 1st rounder because he has never started a game.

2nd thing Ty Law probably won't be on the roster next year because of his roster bonus we'll probably cut him before March 1st.

3rd thing, if we can get Brian Leonard in the 4th round I think we should, at least to be tutored by Sowell. I mean in all seriousness Leonard might be the next Alstott (not making that comparison just because they are both white btw! I could have also said Natrone Means or Richie Anderson or Mike Anderson during his FB days for that matter!). Anyway, point being we definitely should grab Leonard if we can get him on Day 2, even if he isn't our starter right away.

4th thing, while it would be interesting to have Charles Rodgers, his off field problems are also injuries such as two broken collarbones. Personall I want to see Cotchery take over as the #2 and see what he can do. This kid broke all of Torry Holt's records at NC State, it could be worth it...and remember, if we get Philip Rivers we're talking Rivers and Cotchery reunion. Now that would be nice. Chemistry right away...

Lastly, educated guesses regarding our offensive line could be made such as...

Kevin Mawae will start next season, unless he retires. Pete Kendall played all right at the OG position and won't be cut. Fabini is most likely done in New York. Often injured, clearly aging, and too expensive for us to keep. Brandon Moore will be here for a while. Adrian Jones will be given another year to prove himself. We'll probably take a C in the draft for Mawae to tutor. So basically our line should look pretty similar except no more Fabini and Mawae will be grooming an heir.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first thing i have to say is the jets are under the tightest cap i can ever remember, second thing is the abraham will not be a jet if philip rivers is a jet.

QB - Pennington, hes going to be back like it or not, and hes going to be better, if not well the jets will trade for rivers and he will be the backup

RB - Reggie Bush is likely to be a jet. He will share carries with MArtin whose and Penningtons saleries will be cut

FB - BJ Askew - I love JErald Sowell but i think the jets look to get younger and faster and thats Askew

WR - Coles, Cotchery, McAirnes - Cotchery and McAirens will be nice possession recivers. Rogers would be sexybut they need some cap room so well see
TE - Jolley and Baker - I think there both great TEs and i like having them both. Both have shown that they are good pass catching TE's.

OL - who knows but fabini will not be back, MAwae i believe will but who knows

DL - Bryan Thomas - Dewayne Robertson - Orien Harris - Shaun Ellis - SOlid run stopping line, and abraham gets tagged then traded for philip rivers, and maybe a draft pick.

LB - BArton - Vilma -Hobson - Solid but i think hobson could easily get replaced.

DBs MIller - Barrett - Rhodes - Coleman - Ty LAw will be released, Miller will be the new LCB. Barrett is the best player ing the secondary on the team, and is an all around great corner, and unkike law he tackles good. I dont know whats wrong with Erik Coleman this year but hes playing horrible, but has a lot of upside, rhodes too. Miller will continue to develop.

Overall - if knowone gets hurt they could be 9-7 or better but im being nice. They have to play more consistant on defense to make a run next year. But i think 9-7 will be fair
Spiel612

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a lot of that...my mock off-season...

CUT
Jay Fiedler - Old, injured, cap space
Vinny Testaverde - Old, injured, cap space, and probably will retire
Derrick Blaylock - He was a joke of a solution to replacing Lamont Jordan
Jerald Sowell - We love you Sowell, you are a great blocker and catch the bootleg extremely well but we need the money.
Justin McCareins - He can't catch, period. Unless he proves it by the end of the season that he belongs in New York he'll be gone. Cap space.
Jason Fabini - Overrated, overpaid, often injured, and well beyond his prime. Fabini won't be in New York next year.
John Abraham - It won't be that we're cutting him. It's that we're not re-signing him. We don't have enough cap room to tag him and trade him for players. We might tag him and trade him for picks. Bryan Thomas can do the job.
James Reed - He's a 285 pound DT. Enough said.
Lance Legree - Good joke by the Jets organization thinking Legree would add any sort of depth.
Ty Law - That roster bonus won't be going to him. Most likely Ty Law will be a Patriot next season.

I agree that Erik Coleman is playing poorly. He played a bit better last night. He had a great rookie campaign and this has overall been a really tough year for our defense so you can't really judge a bunch of young guys in this tough a situation.

Jonathan Vilma for DPOTY! 119 tackles in 11 games! He leads the NFL in tackling right now! BEAST!

CONTRACT ISSUES
Chad Pennington (Shorten length)
Curtis Martin (Restructure)
Kevin Mawae (Shorten length)
Pete Kendall (Shorten length)
Dewayne Robertson (Restructure for betterment of team)

Free Agency...I doubt we'll have enough money to sign any big names.
Jrod8484

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work but you have to take the salary cap into consideration. ekill08x is right about our cap space. Abraham and Rivers wont be on the same team next year. Also, Spiel612 has a point, Law will not be a Jet next year until he realizes that he's not the best CB in the league anymore and restructures his contract. Here is what I think the depth chart will look like:

OFFENSE

QB: Chad Pennington - I think he will come back next year and have a solid season. He will have a full year to recover and take his time and not speed up the physical training. I think he will restructure his contract, he has done it before. He gave money back to the team to get Coles and he knows that he didnt earn his paycheck this season. <QB 2: Bollinger - "Brooksie" has proven he can play and has played well considering the condition he was thrown into, QB 3: Pick up in draft/ Testeverde retires as a Jet, Feidler is released for cap reasons>

RB: Curtis Martin - Martin is doing his job this season and he deserves to be given another chance next year. His success last year came from a good passing game and a healthy o-line. With Pennington back and a one year of the new sysem under the belt, the offense wont have a problem next season. Martin is still going to get 1,000 despite the fact that everyone knows when the Jets are going to run. I give him two more years before he retires and six before he goes to Canton. <RB 2: With the (?) pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Jets select Reggie Bush, RB, USC. He will get plenty of PT too. RB 3: Housotn/ Blayock released for cap reasons>

FB: Jerald Sowell - Sowell has been a bright spot on the offense this season. He has blocked well and he has made himself a threat in the red zone. He will definately be back next year. He is not the best in the league but the Jets focus shouldnt be on FB in the offseason. <FB 2: Askew>

WR: Laveraneus Coles, Justin McCariens - There is a good chance that these two can get 100 rec. between the two which is good when you take into consideration the QB, o-line and time of possesion. Coles will get his swagger back with Pennington and McCariens will prove to be a solid threat at #2. He knows the system better than anyone on the offense and is capable of taking pressure off Coles. With the Pennington healthy during the training camps, chemistry with the recievers will come. <WR 3: Cotcherey, WR 4: Pick up in draft/ Chrebet retires>

TE: Chris Baker - He has grown into a complete TE. His loss was bigger than most might think. He is a reliable check down target and can run after the catch. He has improved at blocking too. <TE 2: Free Agent (perhaps Jason Dunn from KC or another blocking TE), TE 3: Driessen/ Jolley released>

T: Adrian Jones, Free Agent or Rookie - Jones has played well. This was his first year starting and he has played on both sides of the line. He is almost as versatile as Goodwin. His counterpart, on the otherhand, is a good question. Maybe the Jets grab Marcus McNiell from Auburn or Jabari Levey from USC in the 3rd or 4th round. < T 3: Morely, T 4: Free Agent/ Fabini released for cap reasons, Gragg retires>

G: Pete Kendall, Brandon Moore - When Kendall was at LG, he played well as he did last year. Moore is reluctant enough to still be where he was in week 1 He is a good young player for the Jets. This duo is solid. <G 3: Goodwin G 4: Snell>

C: Kevin Mawae - Was usually a durable player. Hopefully he will stay healthy next season. He has shown no signs of retiring anytime soon and he is still one of the leagus best. He should return to the Pro Bowl next year. <C 2: Pick up in draft>

DEFENSE

DE: John Abraham, Shaun Ellis - Easily in the top 5 of tandem DE's in the NFL. Jets are stupid to think twice about locking up Abraham long term. He requires so much attention from offenses and without him, the Jets pass rush is gone...completely. Parcells was smart to draft two bookends on the d-line and he did it because of what the Jets have now. Dominate DE's. <DE 3: Thomas, DE 4: Johnson>

DT: Dewayne Robertson, James Reed - Robertson was solid as a DT behind Ferguson last season. He has shown promise this season but will obviously be better with a solid DE to compliment him. I dont think Reed is the answer. But he is the best they have now. Pouha was a waste of a 3rd round pick. Legree is good off the bench and can be good as a goal line stuffer and also as a rotator on the line. I think the Jets need to take a hard look at the FA DT's and also in the draft. Orien Harris from Miami can be a good player to draft in the 2nd or 3rd round and can start immediately. <DT 3: Free Agent or Rookie, DT 4: Legree>

MLB: Jonathan Vilma - I dont really need to say much here. Vilma is a beast. If he gets more picks, he could win DPOY. <MLB 2: Brown, MLB 3: Wright>

OLB: Eric Barton, Victor Hobson - I think that Hobson has improved more than anyone on the unit. He always seems to be in the pile with Vilma. Looks like a #2 pick now. Barton is sometimes overly aggressive but has good instincts and is good on the weakside. The linebacker postion is most solid postion on the entire team. <OLB 3: McClover, OLB 4 Gardner>

CB: Ty Law, David Barrett - There is a huge question mark here, almost anything can happen. If Law stays, the group is good, if he goes, the group is obviously downgraded. It wouldnt be all that bad though. The Jets would have some money and they would get to see how the young CB' respond with more PT. Justin Miller will eventuall be a starter and Straight seems like he would be a good Cover 2 player. His speed isnt great but he has waht it takes to get the job done. <CB 3: Miller, CB 4: Straight>

S: Eric Coleman, Kerry Rhodes - The youngest position on the team is this one. In my opinion, Coleman has dropped off a bit. He is still the best safety the Jets have and he isnt bad. I guess it is just that the D is on the feild longer do they are more prone to give up plays. You know they will still draft one though. Herm loves his safeties. They can be solid special team players though Celestin, Washington and Maddox next year should all compete for the starting spot and get Coleman working again and Rhodes proving he is a starter. <S 3: Celestin, S 4: Washington, S 5: Maddox>

K: Mike Nugent - I dont need to say much here.

P: Ben Graham - I dont need to say much here either.

KR: Justin Miller
PR: Reggie Bush
NikeFootball05

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jrod8484, you're basically saying that next year's roster will be identical to this years' with the exceptions of Bush and Fabini?? We need more playmakers and protection on offense and better run stoppers on defense. I can't understand why you guys like our O Line so much. So what if they lost Fabini and Mawae? This group gave up i don't know how many sacks or hurries(eventuallly I lost count) which forced Pennington to fumble 8 TIMES IN 3 GAMES when the unit was healthy. I second guess Fabini, Kendall, and Moore. We should at least replace 2 of them; they're just not protecting the QB or opening up holes for Martin who has had only 1, just one hundred yard rushing game. It's pathetic. And if we want Bush for next year, we gotta protect him a lot better and open holes because he is not a power back and his smaller frame could get him hurt. If we want Leinart, we especially need to protect him otherwise it'll be Chad Pennington all over again since he had surgery on his throwing arm in high school and on his elbow before his senior season. And why do you guys want Pennington to be our QB?? He will not be able to take this franchise to the next level and will NEVER play a full 16 game season. His arm strength is terrible and after two very recent shoulder surgeries I feel it's safe to assume that his arm strength is even worse. He won't be able to get those deep throws to Laveranues Coles and create big plays. He is getting paid like 12 million this year to stand on the sideline and wave his little towel around in the air. Someone (I think Herm should) needs to sit down and talk to him. They need to tell him he is no longer the future and franchise QB and that the best thing he could do for the team is take a huge paycut.

Ok I'm sorry, do you WANT to lose? I throw, you catch, it's not that hard, ok? All right now get the f@$% outta here.

-Peyton Manning United Way SNL Skit
Jrod8484

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the age difference, the Jets are virtually the same team that lost to the Steelers in the AFC Conference game last year. And in the offseason, the Jets were predicted, by most, to win the East. The only difference from this squad and last years squad is: an upgrade at cornerback, no McKenzie on the o-line, no Ferguson on the d-line, a new kicker and a new system. Chad Pennington proved to be a leader that year. His 65 yd TD to Moss agaianst San Diego in the Wildcard game was all the arm strength he needs. He is an accurate QB. No one gave him crap in 02-03 when he was second to only Gannon (the MVP) in Passer Rating. He was the franchise QB then. He wasnt 100% opening day this year but he will be next year. Everyone thinks that the Jets need to completely rebuild. Thats crazy. We are not in the same position as the 49ers or the Texans. We just had bad luck with the injuries. I honestly believe that his injury so early in the year will benefit him. He would have definately been 70-80% the whole season and could have possibly had surgery again after the season, the same sinario as this year. But now he has a full year. Im not in denial, Im just not panicing. I know the Jets could be in the thick of the playoff race if we were healthy. But they have 10 players on IR and probably 10 more on the injury list. Pennington will take a paycut, hopefully we will draft Bush, and then we just have to focus on upgrading our o-line at the tackle position and getting a run stopping DT.
Spiel612

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of you in a sense.

Yes, Pennington is 30 now and has had two operations on the same shoulder, his throwing shoulder. However, according to ESPN Pennington will be healthy by March of 2006 and will be 10 pounds heavier with a new release form. His new release should add to his arm strength a bit and should decrease the amount of floaters he puts up. He still won't have a great arm, but he won't float the ball as much.

If anyone remembers the Jets-Colts in 2003-04 when we went 6-10 he threw a floater to Jonathan Carter that almost allowed the CB to catch up to Carter, luckily it was accurate enough that Carter took it for a TD. Pennington has great accuracy and next season he'll have a better release.

I felt like the franchise was in trouble when Pennington went down, but its pretty clear that we aren't in as much trouble as others. Lucky for us we get a high draft pick either way.

As for our offensive line, I loathe Jason Fabini.

I think Adrian Jones has played well for a first year starter, especially one who had to play at both left and right tackle. I think when we move him back to Right Tackle he'll be even better. I also think that once Kendall moves back to Guard he'll return to old form. Mawae is a Hall of Famer and he has no thoughts of retirement just yet. We need his successor. Mawae is a team player and will have no problem training an heir to his throne of best center in football. Brandon Moore has been without question the best lineman on the team. He's young, he's big, and he's got a good heart.

Moore and Jones will be good on the right side in the future. Kendall and Mawae will probably be gone after next season, and Fabini will be gone after this season. In all likelihood our offensive line will be very young going into the 07-08 season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: