Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Dan has got to go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: The Dan has got to go Reply with quote

I'm a huge Redskin fan, but let's face it.. the Skins suck and will suck as long as Dan is the owner. He keeps overpaying for free agents and continually puts us in cap hell. In other words, we have a few stars but nobody around them. We pay huge money for a qb and wr but no o-line to protect the qb. Then, when the cap catches up with us, we have to start all over again. I'm sick of this. First game opening season, I'm going to start a chant... "Screw the Dan" "Screw the Dan" "Screw the Dan"
riggensghost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan isn't the problem, the problem is tha we have no GM. Dan does everything an owner should do which is open his wallet. The problem with Dan is he tries to do others peoples job. He was always a huge redskins fan and he will continue to do everything he can to bring us a winner, He needs to listen to Gibbs and then hire a GM and stay away from the player management.

Brunnel was Gibbs fault (and Cerino)
wildwildwest81

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAN AINT GOING NO WERE
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, this may come as a news flash to everyone... We Suck. When was the last time we made the playoffs? Do you guys realize that we have one more year of cap freedom? It's one thing if we were making the playoffs and contending every year, but we are not. We are in the bottom 10 every year.

Every year we spend huge cash for no return. I may be over-simplifying things by blaming Dan, but this all started when he arrived. Just watch, this offseason we will sign a couple more stars to huge contracts... but without an o-line we will keep losing. Then, next year, and the next 3-4 years after that, we are back in cap hell and we will have to start all over again. It almost hurts to be a Redskin fan. Anyone disagree?
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The redskins biggest problem since Dan Snyder has taken over has been consistency!!
This is a problem that has hurt the redskins and most of the struggling franchises in the NFL since Free Agency has come into play.
Most of it is Dan Snyder's fault, because he continues to spend money on new players, coaches, and everything else, instead of staying consistent.
Look at the teams that were in the playoffs this year, all of them with the exception of Atlanta, are basically the same coaching staffs, and the same core of players that these Franchises for the past 5 or 6 years... and that's why they are succesfull year in and year out.
All of them may have a year where they have a bad year like the Ravens for example this year, but overall if you keep everything in tact and just trust in your coaches, and the players you have, you will turn out to be a winner.
The dumbest thing Snyder has done so far, was in his second year of owning the team, he messed with success!!
This team in 1999 was a kick away from going to the NFC Championship game... Snyder thought we needed a roster overhal, when in reality all we needed was maybe a player or 2, and to keep the guys that we had, and to keep Norv around for at least one more year to see if he could get us any farther, or even back to the playoffs with the same team.
That has been Synder's downfall, he's had no patience with the skins, they were winning when he first had the team, and now he's screwed everything up, if we still had Brad Johnson, or Trent Green as our QB, Stephen Alexander, Kenard Lang, Stephen Davis, not gone after players like Trotter, Brunell, Barrow, Dieon, Bruce, J George, J Armstead amongst others, and kept guys that werre younger and performing for us then maybe we'd be thinking Super Bowl right now for sure...
As of now, its just a dream to think we can get there in the next couple of years!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I agree completely. Anyone else have a different reason why the Redskins suck?
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to be a Redskins fan, but I don't think it is due to Snyder, at least fully. Last season, he listened to his coaches when it came to free agent deals and it worked out well. I'm sure you all will scoff, but look at it this way: Aside from Brunell, it was an awesome offseason. Clearly, Brunell was a huge bust, and so that colors everyones opinion about the offseason as a whole. However, just last offseason, we added Portis, Springs, Washington, Taylor, and Griffin, among other key role players like Thrash and Clark. Phillip Daniels would have done well, I'm convinced, if he had not gotten hurt. Also, we held on to key players we already had like Pierce, Marshall, and Lott for low prices. Technically, we even added Gibbs, a consensus top 10 coach in league history, and Gregg Williams, probably the best defensive coach in the league last year with the possible exception of LeBeau. That is a really great offseason, especially when you consider that a majority of our great defense consisted of players we added this offseason or wisely kept around at a good price.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the Redskins will be able to sneak out of cap trouble as always. I can't remember a time since Dan has been here when the Skins have had to have a full-scale housecleaning due to cap woes, and I can only assume they will continue to avoid that. Their cap expert, a guy named Eric Shaffer, and Snyder are actually quite good at sneaking around the cap with long-term deals and restructuring and such.

We finally have a good, young core again, and now it is important for us to handle it correctly. If you have heard Gibbs at any point during this offseason, he has been like a broken record. All he says is "We have a good young core of guys and our main goal is to keep them together and make a few minor additions through free agency and the draft." That is the right attitude, and I think we all would agree. And even if you don't like Snyder, he respects and reveres Gibbs and will listen to him just like we all would, mainly because he is just a disgustingly rich version of us.

And, in all honesty, that 1999 team wasn't very good, and they were also quite old, and Snyder was probably right to break it up. Its the same thing teams like the Packers should be doing right now, breaking it down to build a champion instead of hanging on to be a fringe playoff team for one or two more years. Its not a popular move, but its the right one if you want a champion instead of simply a winning team. Now the unforgivable thing is that it has taken 5 or 6 years to get back to prominence, but the motivation was probably correct.

I guess to sum all this up, my point is not that Snyder is the greatest owner ever in the NFL. He does a lot of dumb [inappropriate/removed] but he's assuredly not the sole reason for our woes. And hey, at least his heart is in the right place, he wants the Redskins to be great again at least as bad as us.
avbanig

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you say the 99 team wasn't good, they were a kick away from getting to the NFC Championship game...that's sounds pretty good to me.

And they weren't that old of a team, we didn't get old until the next year when Snyder started paying for old washed up talent like Jeff George, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Adrian Murell and players like that.

I mean if we had not signed Sanders at least, and had drafted a cb maybe in the second round to be our 3rd corner behind Green and Bailey, and not signed Jeff George, and let Johnson continue to run the team because he had almost taken us to the Super Bowl, then I think in 2000 we may have actually gotten to the Super Bowl!

Lets face it Snyder got greedy, and though he could overpay for has beens and that would get him to the big game, but in reality if he had kept the team together they probably would have made it!

I guess looking back on it, loosing Michael Westbrook for the whole season, really hurt us more than anything else in the 2000 season. But we definelty weren't that old of a club.
Most of the players on the team are still in the league.

the players who are in the league:
B Johnson, although old now, he wasn't then, and is still effective
Davis, is getting old now, but wasn't then
S Alexander, is still pouring in about 40-50 catches a year, hello Gibbs we could use him he's a FA this year!
J Jansen, still a starter
C Raymer, he's old now, but he was a solid starter then
L Centers, he was a producer that Snyder felt we didn't need, but turns out we missed him the next year
B Mitchell, again he produced on special teams, felt we didn't need him, turns out we missed his leadership badly
Wilkinson, still in the league
Stubbilfield, still in the league, never lived up to contract, but isn't his fault
M Coleman, still in the league, he was old but he produced
K Lang, on and off starter, now a starter for Cle, and still effective, we miss him
G Jones, wasn't old, but we could have upgraded position
D Smith, still in league and starting for SF
S Barber, still in league and a starter
C Bailey, still considered the best corner in game
D Green, was old but was still producing
S Shade, was great for us, and wasn't too old
L Evans, still in league I think he plays for Houston
C Raymer
Redskins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thread about Dan? We're not going to get anywhere by continually making threads about Dan Snyder so why bother?

And we don't suck, the Offense just needs to come together. We have Joe Gibbs' O-Line he wants but a RB back that doesn't fit the role yet and we also have a QB that is going to be pretty good sooner or later.

People expect too much sometimes.
avbanig

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, even though Gibbs came back last year, I knew it was more of a rebuilding year, at least for the coaches. They didn't knw the players and on the other hand most had been out of foot ball for a decade. Also they players needed to learn a very complicated offensive system that Gibbs runs.

I expect this year that the offense will be better, we'll probably be somewhere in the middle, Portis still gained about 1400yds its not like he had a bad year, I expect him to do about the same next year. We just need a new WR to compliment Coles, and maybe a TE either in the draft or FA to go along with Royal and Cooley.

If we could get Jerry Porter or, or one of the other free agent wide outs, or Draft M Williams or B Edwards then trade Gardner, and then add Stephen Alexander, Anthony Becht or a guy like Marcus Pollard if he is cut bu Indy, then our offense will be much better, because our passing game will improve, which in turn will help out Portis and Betts in the running game.

We only need to make 1 or 2 moves this season, we need to do what the Eagles did last year, try to get one big name player, and then bring in some guys that we can get for cheaper but we knwo can help us, especially on defense.

Like a Ty Law if he is released, or Okeafor, there are alot of guys on D that could help us too.
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that I didn't like that team. I loved those guys and I was as excited as anyone when it was happening. But let's be honest with ourselves, do any of us see that team winning a championship?

Here is the team's full roster for anyone who isn't aware of what we are talking about:

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/1999-was

There are a lot of solid players on that team and a lot of guys I really liked. But theres just no way that they were going to be consistently at the top of the league. Now it probably wasn't necessary to demolish the team like we did (only 2 players left now, jansen and sellers) but some fairly major changes were necessary if we were going to become a championship quality team. That's all I was trying to say.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody who says the Redskins didnt suck the past few years is kidding themselves. The Cowboys own us. The offensive line is... well... offensive. Williams did an excellent job with the defense which is the only bright spot that I can see. And, how can anybody say that we are not rebuilding, we are constantly rebuilding due to poor offseason decisions.

By the way, the NFL isnt the MLB where owners are hated for being too cheap. In the NFL, just about every team spends money (Cardinals excluded). Therefore, its NOT a matter of good teams being good because the owners spend the $ (see Yankees and Red Sox). In the NFL, teams are good because they manage the cap and build from within. When was the last time you saw the Pats overspend for a free agent the way the Skins do? I hate to say this, but even the Eagles manage the cap and free agency perfectly. Sure, they spent for Owens and Kearse, but they are still $16,000,000 under the cap! Does this sicken anyone else?

Finally, whether anyone wants to admit this or not... the Skins have 1-2 years before the contracts and dead money start to catch up. That's it. We still dont have an offensive line. Isnt anyone else sick of watching the Cowboys beat the crap out of our quarterbacks?

Sorry about the diatribe but I think venting is good for the sole.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: