You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tice, Johnson sometimes differ on passing philosophy.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Tice, Johnson sometimes differ on passing philosophy. Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5744981.html

Quote:
While Vikings coach Mike Tice would like to see Brad Johnson throw more downfield passes than he did in the first half of Monday night's 20-17 victory at Green Bay, the quarterback appears comfortable taking whatever opposing defenses give him.

And that could mean deep, medium or, gasp, the high-percentage, short passes that are often associated with the West Coast offense.

"East Coast, West Coast, Gulf Coast," Johnson said Wednesday. "Plays and systems and schemes are all very similar. We are still running plays from [former NFL coach and vertical-passing guru] Don Coryell. The whole league is. That doesn't matter, the plays were there. Sometimes you just need a little extra something special to happen."
st1mul4nt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulf Coast ? LOL!

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words of a wise man. Tice should take notes, he might learn something,

D#######
Ares Caesar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... maybe that was the problem with Culpepper then???

I didnt realize Tice was THAT interested in throwing deep, I had simply thought it was Culpepper being an idiot and wanting to throw deep, when in reality it would appear that the coaching staff was also interesting in going deep.

Now, while I think it is necessary to throw deep on occassion, simply to keep the defense honest, I believe too many teams get suckered into throwing deep too often, instead of just dumping off a 5-7 yard pass, that is high %, much like a good run play, plus these plays then open up the deep pass game because the safeties creep up and the corners start trying to jump routes, and you beat 'em with the double moves.

I'm glad to see Brad Johnson is willing to take what the defense gives him, instead of trying too much to force the deep ball, PARTICULARLY when the offensive line stinks so much that he doesnt have the time for it anyway.

Good job Brad... bad job Tice (I tried settling for Tice, and supporting him, but at this point I've lost all faith in his ability to coach... its time for a coach with brains and innovation)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's like Johnson said, you take what is given - if the deep ball is there then throw it deep, if all that is there is a 5 yarder then take it less it's 3rd down you need 10 for the first - running the ball does more than than anything else so as long as we can block and get some holes to run run and run the other pass plays will present themselves - now with the play they have been running lately(williamson and k robinson to one side and run post routs) this is a great idea cause one if not both can outrun the DB and get open it's a good thing if not maybe the 3rd receiver RB or TE will be open

WE ARE WHAT WE ARE
AND WHAT THAT IS REMAINS TO BE SEEN
st1mul4nt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone want to explain the Gulf Coast offense to me ?

It's not just a ton of "long bombs" is it ? Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a coast thing - east coast west coast gulf coast - it's the whole darn book

WE ARE WHAT WE ARE
AND WHAT THAT IS REMAINS TO BE SEEN

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: