You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerry Porter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngryChiefsFan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll probably get more money than we have to spend. But if it can be worked out to get Porter while signing a couple defensive free agents at the same time, it's worth a shot.

I mean...I want to improve the defense as much as anyone. But if you are just content with the offense as it is, they will eventually play down to the defenses in the league. No matter how good you think you are on offense, you can always be better.
snailplow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
snailplow wrote:
Al Davis would kill his own kids to keep a Raider out of K.C.,Denver,or San Diego.Porter to K.C. will not happen.Peterson is too frugal to pay the money for him anyway.

If Porter is an FA he would be able to stop him. The AFC West has a history of teams raiding each other's roster. Here's a few examples:

Marcus Allen Oak -> KC
Albert Lewis KC -> Oak
Rich Gannon KC - Oak
Dale Carter KC -> Den
Neil Smith KC -> Den

Hell, Al traded Chester McGlockton to KC a few years ago. Anything's possible.

Still, I maintain he's a luxury we can't afford.

Yea,players switch teams between enter-division rivals,but you VERY RARELY see trades.
Usually a player signs with a rival after their contract is up with their current team,and the player is either pissed at their old organization(Marcus Allen),or the old organization doesn't see enough value left in the player,and makes no effort to resign them.(Rich Gannon--K.C. blew it on this one.Gannon was 3X the QB as Grbac)
Al Davis didn't trade McGlockton.The Cheifs made him a deal that Davis didn't think he was worth,so Davis didn't match the offer.McGlockton did what most free agents would do,and chased the $$$.

Apr. 17, 1998 - The Raiders announced they would not match Kansas City's five-year offer sheet to free agent DT Chester McGlockton

http://www.vertgame.com/personnel98.html

Also,if Davis really doesn't want someone to snag Porter,all he has to do is use the transition tag on him,and the Raiders will have a week to match any offers made to Porter.Again,if Davis feels the offer is too exorbant,then they won't match it,and Porter will walk as a free agent.
The Raiders already have a deal on the table for Porter for 5 years/25 million dollars,but he hasn't signed it yet.That deal matches what Chad Johnson got from Cincy,and Porter is not as good as Johnson.
I don't think anyone will offer more to Porter,and he'll be back in the Silver & Black next year.Al Davis obviously doesn't either b/c he said he won't offer more,and will let Porter test the F.A. market.
Mongo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true. KC gave a second round pick to Oakland for McGlockton.
snailplow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:

If what you're saying is true,then I'll stand corrected.I posted a link to a page that shows the fact that I was basing my arguement on,in my previous post.Find a link to a page that states Chester was traded from the Raiders to the Cheifs,and post it.I'd like to see it.
KCALLTHEWAY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sammi deserves a shot to start he showed some major upside

^^art by ryknowssd
Kansas City War Room
mh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I think Samie played well in the opportunities he was given, but we all might be hyping him up a little too much. I'm not sure how many games he played in but his official stats for 2004 were 9 catches for 137 yards. I want him to develop into a good player as much as the next gut but it's a little too early....he still has a lot to prove.

He can succeed in KC's offense though. A lot people knock his size at 5'11" 180 lbs., but Boerigter is the only WR on the Chiefs' roster over six feet. Morton's 5'11", Kennison's 5'11", Chris Horn's 5'11"...I guess that fits though because I haven't really seen a need for us to have a big leaping receiver. When was the last time you saw an endzone fade to Kennison? Never, because they all go to Tony. Parker's size is ok, his speed is great, but he still has to prove that he can just play the game.
SBorBust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="snailplow"][quote="Mongo"]Not true. KC gave a second round pick to Oakland for McGlockton.[/quote]

If what you're saying is true,then I'll stand corrected.I posted a link to a page that shows the fact that I was basing my arguement on,in my previous post.Find a link to a page that states Chester was traded from the Raiders to the Cheifs,and post it.I'd like to see it.[/quote]

Chester McGlockton was a FA pickup. Here is part of the article that I found for it

"ABOUT THE CHIEFS: After a busy offseason the Chiefs believe that they have their best personnel since coach Marty Schottenheimer arrived in 1989. [b]Their free-agent additions included wide receiver Derrick Alexander plus defensive ends Chester McGlockton and Leslie O'Neal[/b]. They lost running back Marcus Allen to retirement, so it remains to be seen whether converted fullback Donnell Bennett will be able to cut it as the featured back. The Chiefs have gone from having almost no offensive weapons in 1996 to having an excellent threesome in wide receivers Andre Rison and Alexander along with tight end Tony Gonzalez. The only player on offense who definitely won't play is backup tight end Ted Popson (knee)."

It was just a little side note in this article

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/news/def73198.stm
Mongo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snailplow wrote:
Mongo wrote:

If what you're saying is true,then I'll stand corrected.I posted a link to a page that shows the fact that I was basing my arguement on,in my previous post.Find a link to a page that states Chester was traded from the Raiders to the Cheifs,and post it.I'd like to see it.

I cannot find evidence contrary to your URL. However, KC didn't have its second round pick that year. Perhaps it was compensatory. I seem to recall the Chiefs having to give the Raiders something for not matching.

Unfortunately, the Raiders are not in the spot near where KC picked. I cannot find a history of draft trades to indicate where this pick went.
KCALLTHEWAY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammi played in Three games with 9 catches, three a game. I don't think we are hyping him, I just hope he sees all 16 games next year. He made a sideline catch this last season that was amazing.

^^art by ryknowssd
Kansas City War Room
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCALLTHEWAY wrote:
Sammi played in Three games with 9 catches, three a game. I don't think we are hyping him, I just hope he sees all 16 games next year. He made a sideline catch this last season that was amazing.

I agree. Sammi Parker showed promise. I wish he would've seen the field more. In general it's Crying -'s fault that players have diapers that need to be taken off. He coddles them too much and isn't very forgiving of their mistakes. Sounds like another coach we used to have who's in San Diego now.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: