Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Blueprint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrod8484

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Offseason Blueprint Reply with quote

#1. RESIGNING JOHN ABRAHAM
- Abraham is one piece of the puzzle that could put the Jets D over the top and out of the average/good group. I am a true believer that teams win and lose games in the trenches and how good your units are up front can make a big difference to the rest of the team. With a good pass rush, any cornerback or safety can look good. If they keep this D-Line in tact, the Jets will be among the top5 in the league. I can only see the Panthers, Jaguars, Eagles, Steelers and maybe the Falcons edging them out. Also, this is Donnie Henderson's 2nd year, and I think he will only be more aggressive with his playcalling and blitzes and Abraham can be put in so many different spots that he could give opposing teams a hard time. Plus, Herman Edwards has put so much work into him that I can't see him somewhere else. Last year, Abraham was on his way to drinking his way out of the NFL. He only had 6 sacks and was looking like a huge dissappointment. Then Herm changed his focus and instead of Abraham going to morning team meetings drunk, he goes early and watches extra film. And instead of staying out late drinking, he goeas to the library and reads. This new commitment to football alone should be enough for the Jets to tag him or re-sign him to a long-term deal.

#2. RESIGNING JASON FERGUSON
- He is the other piece of the puzzle that will anchor the Jets in the future. He is a good as any DT in the league at stopping the run and also at rushing the passer. He is statistically improving each year for the last 3 and that is a very good sign. The Jets run D will get ran over if his presence is gone. I think the Jets have no other option and this will be a no brainer fo Bradway, the GM.

#3. RESIGNING LAMONT JORDAN
- I think he will definately be re-signed. He is an asset and an important player in the Jets offense. He brings that spark that sometimes is hard to find while trying to get an offense started. Even if they don't re-sign him to spell Martin or add that spark, they could use him for trading bait. A lot of teams are looking for a back like Jordan, and with Edgerrain James probably going to stay with the Colts, the only other better available back is Shaun Alexander. Teams like the 49ers, Dolphins, Cardinals, and Raiders are all desperate for a back the Jets should recieve a lot of offers.

#4. FREE AGENCY
- A lot of teams are built and molded around the Free Agent signing period. The Jets had some success last year with the signings of Barton, Barrett, Kendall, and Tongue and I am sure this year will be no different. The FA period doesn't start until March 2nd so I am not sure of all of the players that will be up for grabs. Here are some players that would look quite nicein the Green & White:
Ty Law- Pats probably won't re-sign him but I don't think the Jets will
think twice about going after him.
Fred Smoot- Rumor has it that the 'Skins won't re-sign him. I think he
will be an upcoming corner in the league.
Julian Peterson- He is in the same boat as Abraham. I think 2 yrs of
getting tagged might urge him to look elsewhere.
Willie Anderson- Might be available this offseason and he could replace
and be an upgrade to McKenzie.
Walter Jones- Highly unlikely that the Jets will be a top-bidder but he is
one of the best tackles in the league.
Plaxico Burress- Would be a nice addition to any team but this would
probably mean that #83 or #81 would sit some plays.
Jerry Porter- Same as Burress.

#5. TRADE
- There is a lot of talk about going after Randy Moss but I think this would hurt the Jets in the long run. According to rumors, the Vikings want a stud defensive player and a #1 pick. The Ravens were offered Moss for Terrell Suggs and their #1. The Raiders were offered Moss for Phillip Buchanon and a #1 and #2. This would mean that the Jets would probably have to give them John Abraham and our #1...not good. This would fill up one position unneccesarily, and leave a hole at the RE spot. Moss is a game changer but I would hate for the Jets to give up Abraham for Moss when our recievers are capable of getting the job done. Plus Herm said in his press conference that the first thing that he looks for in a player is if he fits the mold of the team and I dont see that "fit" in Randy Moss.
- Phillip Buchanon is also on the block and he could be a good fit on any team. He is young, fast, and only getting better. He can eventually be one of the top CB's in the league. The Jets would probably give them Lamont Jordan and a #2 or #3. This isn't ideal in my opinion but it would be a big improvement for the Jets big need.
- Patrick Surtain is another player that wants out of his team. The 'Phins couldn't work out an extenstion so he is now looking for another team. He is, in my opinion, a top 5 CB in the league. And Miami does need a runnig back to get their offense rejuvenated. Herm probably won't want to face Jordan twice a year but to have an elite CB like Surtain might be enough to go after him.
- This would be a reach but Chris McAllister. Jamal Lewis is supposed to return from his sentence in 4 months but his future in the league is still up in the air. Donnie Henderson was also McAllister's DB coach in Baltimore so they would be reunited. Highly unlikely but possible.

#6. DRAFT
- I dont think that Heath Miller will be available at pick #26. And I know that Antrel Rolle and Adam Jones will be off the board by our pick as well. That said, I hope the Jets trade up. I know that there is a lot of depth at CB this year but there is a huge drop off from Rolle and Pac-Man to the other CB's. I doubt the Jets do trade though and I think they will go conservative this year.
1. Carlos Rogers (Auburn), CB- Difference maker with big upside
Justin Miller (Clemson), CB- Good size and decent speed
2. David Baas (Michigan), G/T- Could be valuable in depth chart
3. Alex Smith (Stanford), TE- Passing threat that will replace Becht
4. J.J. Arrington (California), RB- Only back to run 100+ each game
5. Vincent Fuller (Virginia Tech), S- Good all around player
6. Boomer Grigsby (Illinois St.), ILB- Solid tackler w/ decent speed
7. Santorio Thomas (Miami, Fla.), OLB- not very fast but tackles
SuppaMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baas IMO is a reach in the 2nd. He struggled for the latter part of the year and in every bowl game after the season ended.

A trade for another player IMO is stupid. And McCalister just resigned a long term deal with the Ravens a few months back so I have no idea where you're pulling that trade out from. The Jets will not trade for Surtain.
Jrod8484

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwoodsboy65

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:15 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A report from the Miami Herald came out today about an offical contact with the dolphins saying that the Jets and Chiefs joined the Colts in pursuing a deal with Patrick Surtain.

Whats your thoughts about this???

Jets would have to have a much better deal than any other team because they are a division rival. What do you think the jets would give?? Are their any DT's or Safety's the jets would trade??
Jrod8484

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwoodsboy65 wrote this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A report from the Miami Herald came out today about an offical contact with the dolphins saying that the Jets and Chiefs joined the Colts in pursuing a deal with Patrick Surtain.

Whats your thoughts about this???

Jets would have to have a much better deal than any other team because they are a division rival. What do you think the jets would give?? Are their any DT's or Safety's the jets would trade??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So i guess the Jets are in the hunt Surtain after all SuppaMan
SuppaMan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't think they will trade for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: