Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which FAs should the Steelers consider signing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azazaz7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Which FAs should the Steelers consider signing? Reply with quote

I'll do a run through by position and give an overview at the end on which FAs the Steelers may take a look at.

QB:
The Steelers are well set here. Roethlisberger is a QB with a big future ahead of him. Maddox is one of the better backups in the league and his contract is of a reasonable size so as not to trouble the Steelers cap. Charlie Batch could be gone but I think the Steelers should hold onto him. He won't be a highly sought after player and the Steelers may be able to resign him for close to the league minimum. Brian St.Pierre is untried in the NFL and probably needs to get some game time in NFL Europe for the Steelers to evaluate his talent. Either Batch or St.Pierre won't return but that won't unduly harm the Steelers. No FAs are needed at QB.

RB:
Staley will be the starter next year. I hope Bettis retires before he's cut. He had a vintage year but his salary is too high to remain on the team. Verron Haynes is a decent backup but with Staley getting hurt so often the Steelers may want a better backup than Haynes. Willie Parker has talent and may move ahead of Haynes on the depth chart. Players like Ron Dayne or Anthony Thomas could interest the Steelers in FA.

FB:
Kreider is one of the best in the league at what he does and is extremely durable. Not a need.

WR:
If Burress leaves a new #3 WR should be a priority. Travis Taylor has a lot of unrealised potential and could be a good signing. Joey Galloway is a player who's skills are fading but he might relish the chance to compete for a Super Bowl ring. The Giants might cut Amani Toomer and he'd be an excellent signing for the Steelers.

TE:
The Steelers signed Jay Riemersma to assist the passing game but he has disappointed and will be cut. Rickey Dudley is a decent pass catcher who could be signed cheaply. Freddie Jones and Jeb Putzier are other options.

OT:
Starks and Smith are projected to be the starters at OT next year. If Oliver Ross is re-signed the Steelers should be able to get by at OT without adding anyone. However if Ross leaves, as I think he will, the Steelers will have Alan Faneca as their #3 OT. I think a veteran OT is needed in case Starks falters. Players like Adrian Klemm, Bob Whitfield, Matt Willig or Victor Riley could interest Pittsburgh.

OG:
Keydrick Vincent is as good as gone. Simmons has had trouble staying healthy. A backup at OG is essential. Casey Rabach has the added bonus of playing C as well as guard so he should come under serious consideration.

C:
Hartings is still one of the best around and Okobi or Simmons can be effective backups. The position may be addressed during the draft but not during FA.

DT:
Hampton is one of the best and Hoke did a great job as replacement. Van Oelhoffen can come in if needs be.

DE:
Smith had a stellar year. However Van Oelhoffen is on the downward spiral Brett Kiesel is a decent backup but the Steelers may look for some veteran depth. However very few good 3-4 DEs are available so the Steelers may prefer to stock up during the draft.

OLB:
In Haggans, Porter and Harrison the Steelers are well set. Alonzo Jackson will probably be cut so depth may be needed. However the Steelers should wait until day 2 of the draft to address this.

ILB:
Bell won't be back. However Foote and Farrior played really well in his absence. Look for the Steelers to get an ILB either late in round 3 or early on day 2 of the draft but not in FA.

S:
Polamalu and Hope are very good as a S partnership. However depth is needed. This can be addressed through the draft also.

CB:
Townsend is good but nearly 30. Scott carries too high a cap figure so he could be cut. He won't return on starters money. Willie Williams is leaving. It could pan out that Townsend is the only Steelers CB with starting experience. A FA CB should be a priority. Ken Lucas, Aaron Beasley or Fred Smoot should be high on the Steelers list as potential FA signings.

K:
Jeff Reed is in the best form of his career so K isn't a need.

P:
Chris Gardocki always gives the opposition poor field position and still has a strong leg. P definitely isn't a need.
andre80j

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the steelers should look into Fred Smoot at DB. He is young and he is highly regarded. They could also look at maybe Jerry Porter to line him up opposite of Hines Ward.

Also (I'm from Cincy) i wouldnt mind seeing them trying to pick up Rudi Johnson if the Jerome goes ahead and retires. I went to 4 Bengal games this year, and I've seen what Rudi's been able to do. He is young and the kid can play.
SteelerCntry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my two cents.

A-train is going to want way too much $$, at least more $$ than the Steelers are willing to part with. I don't like Dayne, and Johnson, again with the large sum of up front $$.

At WR, I have said it in earlier posts, I like Jerry Porter, just not sure what his intentions are in regards to the Raiders. Galloway and Toomer are consistent underachievers, in my opinion. Travis Taylor is a less talented El.

I would love to cut the waste at TE, go with what they have in the 3 (M.K.-J.T.-M.C.) and go after a BB project in the later rounds of the draft. My favorite option is Troutman from Pitt.

As far as the OL, try to keep Vincent, and Ross, but for Ross only if it's on the cheap, relatively speaking. Everything else in the draft.

NT is good, and DE in the Draft.

OLB is also ok, I think. You forgot about Roper.

ILB should be OK too, but Foote is a RFA and needs resigned.

At S ok, but Hope is a RFA and needs resigned.

At CB, try to keep Williams and Scott with inexpensive contracts, otherwise see ya, and I like Smoot a lot, also Lucas.

Reed is also a FA and needs resigned. He will prob want more than the $380K he got this year, though.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another player who could interest the Steelers if he becomes available is Derrick Mason. He's only 30 years old and has about 4 good years ahead of him. He's had over 1000yds receiving each of the last 4 years averaging over 5 catches per game in that time. He's very durable and isn't afraid to make a tough catch.

There is talk of the Titans cutting him during the off-season due to the fact that they have a crippling salary cap situation. Mason is reported to earn $4.7million in 2005. Rather than cutting Mason, the Titans may wish to offer him up in a trade.I think $4.7million for Mason is far better value than upwards of $7million for Burress and his massive ego. My dream scenario would be for the Steelers to draft Elton Brown or David Bass in round 1, Eric Green or Bryant McFaden in round 2 and trade our 3rd round pick plus a conditional 3rd rounder in 2006 (should he get 1000yds receiving) for Mason.

The Steelers could make cap room for Mason by allowing Burress leave, seeing Bettis retire, restructuring Van Oelhoffens contract and cutting Hartings (Brown drafted to play OG and Simmons moves to C), Scott ($4million for a nickel back is too much) and Riemersma (what has he done as a Steeler?).
Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut Hartings?

I thought he played real well for us.
Maybe have him renegotiate his contract again but cut him???

Okobi will be the next in line to play C for us IMO.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada wrote:
Cut Hartings?

I thought he played real well for us.
Maybe have him renegotiate his contract again but cut him???

Okobi will be the next in line to play C for us IMO.

I'm assuming he won't accept his contract being restructured. I agree, he had a great year but he'll cost too much to keep on his current deal. Okobi's not bad but I think an O-Line of Smith-Faneca-Simmons-Brown-Starks could be awesome.

If Hartings comes back for a lot less money, I'd be delighted but I don't see that happening unfortunately.
Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya never know.

I wonder if Simmons could handle the move to C. Not everyone is the greatest at making the transition. Hartings did.

I'd like to see Okobi be given a shot.

I'm torn between Simmons and Vincent. Vincent can play real well. Simmons.......I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever kick the injury bug.
SteelerCntry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azazaz7, great scheme. We have discussed the Simmons to C on several occasions on this board, and I still see it as a very viable option for the team. The Steelers G's are asked to do a lot of pulling and down field blocking, I think it almost might be better for his health and future to make the move to C. As far as your picks I really like the ideas, if it worked it would be great. Hartings and Scott we should try to keep for significantly less $$$, if not see ya later, all of the other ideas I completely agree with.

Okobi is a talented backup, but IMO will never be a starter in the league. Simmons I would love to try and keep, but it appears he is all but gone come March, although I think he is a RFA, so we will see.
blitzburgh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a pick-up I would like to see the Steelers make: Brian Russel, the FS from the Vikings. He had an off year last year but tied forthe league lead in INTs the year before. He is a decent tackler but what he provides that Steelers haven't had since Darren Perry is a true ball-hawking FS. Hope is great, but is much better as hitter rather then a cover safety. Russel would allow us to blitz even more cause he could truley help out with deep coverage. Cause regardless if we draft a corner early or give Ike or Ricardo a chance they and Deshea need help on outside coverage.

As for the O-Line, Hartings re-structuring his deal is vital. I would prefer not to start the season with back from injury-changing to a new postion Simmons or unproven Okobi as our only center option. The make-up of the O-Line for next year will all be determined on Hartings decision.
steelcurtin05

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: azazaza Reply with quote

All that makes sense, but you forgot Jerry Porter, who's got great potential and finally got from the hellhole raiders.I'd say pass on Galloway. He's still got skill, but he's too old. I say invest in someone younger like porter.
slayer21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: DT Reply with quote

I think the Steelers are very interested in Chris Hovan from Minnesota. Doubt he wants to go play in the cold anymore though. Probably gonna go to Arizona.
Anyway, that'd be an awesome defensive line!!
Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: DT Reply with quote

slayer21 wrote:
I think the Steelers are very interested in Chris Hovan from Minnesota. Doubt he wants to go play in the cold anymore though. Probably gonna go to Arizona.
Anyway, that'd be an awesome defensive line!!

Why do you say this?

We have Hampton who will be the starter next year and we also have Hoke to back him up.

I don't think there is room for Hovan on the team.
slayer21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Hovan Reply with quote

Yeah, you may be right...but why are they soooo interested then?
Chris...btw...is my neighbor
Canada

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hovan Reply with quote

slayer21 wrote:
Yeah, you may be right...but why are they soooo interested then?
Chris...btw...is my neighbor

I didn't know that they are interested. Haven't read anywhere that says they have shown interest either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: