Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2005 Lineup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lastdodo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way we take 2 linemen is if Runyan retires and we don't go the FA route with Diem or someone similar. I think Reid is ok with the line as it is
(Tra Hicks Fraley Andrews Runyan) Scuillo might be back, and we drafted alot of oline last year that they are high on as developmental prospects. We will probably grab one guy, just because Reid's stated plan is one guy for each line every year to keep things fresh.
phila

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea Our OL is pretty much set for a long long time.

Fraley
Runyan
Tra
Andrews
Hicks
Maybery
are all very capable starters
out backups are pretty good too
BenTurner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[i]yea Our OL is pretty much set for a long long time.

Fraley
Runyan
Tra
Andrews
Hicks
Mayberry [/i]

This line is not set for a long time.
At worst three of those starters are out within two more seasons.

[b]Runyan[/b] isn't going to be around forever.
[b]Mayberry[/b] struggled in stages this season, fading to a backup.
[b]Tra[/b], good season, i like him, doesn't sound like the Eagles are willing to lock him up though
[b]Andrews[/b], should be around for a while.
[b]Hicks[/b], coming along well, should be a starter by 2006 season at latest.

I would predict that the Eagles will use one of their first two picks on the Offensive Line. Elton would be great, however, i think that is quite far fetched. We have plenty of ammo to trade up but some people still see him as a top 20 pick.

I think the Eagles will get atleast one name in free agency.
Realistically, i think Jason Ferguson (Huge DT Jets) or Darren Howard (I believe 13 sacks DE Saints) are the best players we could get on the line.

As i understand, Howard is a cert for free agency while the Jets would like to keep hold of Ferguson [i](note: Ellis has been signed long term and they would be insanely stupid not to tag Abraham if a contract cannot be worked out)[/i]

Finally, the two players i would personally like to see on the roster next season are:
[b]Julian Peterson OLB SF 49ers[/b] Not going to happen, injury-prone, apparantly not a great work ethic, but is a personal favorite. [i](Madden caused!!!)[/i]
[b]Jerry Porter WR OA Raiders[/b] Would be a great number 2 reciever and a natural successor to Owens who isn't getting any younger. Would allow Pinkston and Greg Lewis to fight for the slot (where they belong!!!)
Problem is he could carry a hefty price tag, excluding last year the Eagles havn't really splashed the cash. Another problem is with both Raiders cornerbacks - Woodson and Buchanon - supposedly on there way out the door the Raiders could be left with enough money to re-sign this future superstar. Fingers crossed.

My thoughts on the offseason. Liable to change as it always does.
liquid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Hicks started most of this year even though he was slated at a backup.

2. I agree with you and have been saying this for a while. Our OL is not set for years.

Thomas is signed through '08
Hicks is decent at LG
Fraley decent at Center
Mayberry cannot be counted on as a starter anymore
Runyan has hinted he will retire soon and his contract is up after next year.

So that leaves at least one hole for the Eagles to fill very soon and 2 to fill within the next couple of years. That doesn't even bring into account backups on the OL. Sculio is the only proven backup and only at G. The OL is by far the weakest position going forward and looking back at what Reid did with the secondary 3 years ago I would not be surprised at all if he addressed the OL in the same fashion this year.

If we don't resign Simon we will sign someone else that is decent. We have 16 million under the cap and we are on the verge of going to the superbowl so just chill out and have confidence in AR, Tom Herckert and Joe Banner. They know what they are doing. They are forward thinkers and think in the future not the present. We are lucky to have people who think like that and that is the reason we have such an advantage over the rest of the league

Biggest thing the eagles have over every other team is an owner who has a GM (Banner) who will be there for as long as Lurie is there who thinks about winning 5 years from now. also that they have two individuals who aren't worried about being fired i.e. Reid and Heckert who are willing to impliment Lurie and Banner's strategy.

Most other teams have coaches or GMs who have to worry about the current year or risk being fired. let's embrace that fact that we can think of what's going to happen 5 years from now and not just think about what is going to happen today. We are truely lucky to have the front office that we have.

L
JBlovethosebirds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think ?

Where we are and where I think we should go !
Offense

QUARTERBACK
04 = D. McNabb, K. Detmer, J. Blake
05 = D. McNabb, One of the Vets and one rookie [A. Hall ?]
06 = D. McNabb, One of the Vets and one rookie [A. Hall ?]
Comment: Always have a Vet QB backup around who want a ring.

RUNNING BACK
04 = B. Westbrook, D. Levens, R. Mahe
05 = B. Westbrook, 05 RB draftee [2r - 3r], From Note 1, T. Tepeh
06 = B. Westbrook, 05 RB draftee [2r - 3r], From Note 1, T. Tepeh
Note 1:
One of the following = E. McCoo, C. Buckhalter, B. Perry, R. Mahe,
Comment: Looks strong and young

WIDE RECEIVER
04 = T. Owens, T. Pinkston, F. Mitchell, G. Lewis, B.McMullen
05 = T. Owens, T. Pinkston, G. Lewis, B. McMullen, 05 WR draft 1r or 2r
06 = T. Owens, T. Pinkston, G. Lewis, B. McMullen, 05 WR draft 1r or 2r
Comment: Other options for 05
05 = T. Owens, T. Pinkston, G. Lewis, J. Jenkins, 05 WR draft 1r or 2r
05 = T. Owens, G. Lewis, B.McMullen, J. Jenkins, 05 WR draft 1r or 2r

OFFENSIVE LINE
04 = T. Thomas, J. Mayberry, H. Fraley, S. Andrews, J. Runyan
04 = Backups: A. Hicks [T/G], S. Sciullo [G], A. Ephraim [C/G],
T. Danilek [T/G], B. Hall [G], A. Clarke [G/C], Furio [C]
I. Allen [T], J. Jackson [T/G], D. Strojny [T]
05 = T. Thomas, A. Hicks, H. Fraley, S. Andrews, J. Runyan
05 = Backups: A. Hicks [T], S. Sciullo [G], A. Ephraim [C/G],
T. Danilek [T/G], B. Hall [G], A. Clarke [G/C], Furio [C],
I. Allen [T], J. Jackson [T/G], D. Strojny [T]
J. Mayberry might still be backkup if needed.

06 = T. Thomas, A. Hicks, H. Fraley, Sciullo, S. Andrews
06 = Backups: A. Hicks [T], A. Ephraim [C/G], T. Danilek [T/G],
B. Hall [G], A. Clarke [G/C], D. Furio [C], I. Allen [T],
J. Jackson [T/G], D. Strojny [T] 06 Draftee [1r - 2r]
06 Draftee or to replace Thomas
Comment: Looks good and and young and a nice transition from the
older Mayberry, Runyan Thomas

TIGHT END
04 = C. Lewis, L.J. Smith, M Bartrum
05 = L.J. Smith, C. Lewis, 05 TE Draftee [3r]
06 = L.J. Smith, 05 TE Draftee [3r], 06 TE Draftee [3r]
Comment: Need to find a Long Snapper in 05 - C. Lewis has been
practicing but need long term solution. This year J Dreessen,
Colorada St. is good TE & a long snapper might be interesting
for PSquad this year.

FULLBACK
J. Ritchie if signed or J Parry, and T. Tepeh, backup if healthy
Comment: Hope Tepeh is OK for 05. He can backup FB and be a big RB
when needed.

Defense

DEFENSIVE END
04 = J. Kearse, J. McDougle, D. Burgess, N.D. Kalu, H. Douglas, J. Green 05 = J. Kearse, J. McDougle, D. Burgess, N.D. Kalu, J. Green,
Douglas if any injuries
06 = J. Kearse, J. McDougle, D. Burgess, J. Green, 06 DE Draftee [1r - 2r]Comment: Looks good and young. McDougle is just getting going and I like Green, good motor.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
04 = C. Simon, D. Walker, S. Rayburn, H. Thomas, P.Grasmanis
05 = D. Walker, S. Rayburn, H. Thomas, 05 DT Draft [1r -2r], P.Grasmani
06 = D. Walker, S. Rayburn, 05 DT Draft [1r -2r], 06 DT Draftee [1r - 2r], H. Thomas or P.Grasmanis
Comment: Looks good and young by 06. For 05 have DT on PSquad too

LINEBACKER
04 = J. Trotter, M. Simoneau, D. Jones, I. Reese, K. Adams,
Nate Wayne, M. Labinjo
05 = J. Trotter, M. Simoneau, D. Jones, K. Adams, J. Short,
M. Labinjo, 05 LB Draftee [3r - 4r]
06 = J. Trotter, M. Simoneau, D. Jones, K. Adams, J. Short,
M. Labinjo, 05 LB Draftee [3r - 4r]
Comment: Trotter makes this group work and he is only 27.
We should sign him for 4 yrs

DEFENSIVE BACK
04 = S. Brown, L Sheppard, R Hood, M. Ware, D. Wynn,
05 = S. Brown, L Sheppard, R Hood, M. Ware, D. Wynn, 05 CB Draftee
06 = S. Brown, L Sheppard, R Hood, M. Ware, 05 CB Draftee, D. Wynn,
Comment: Looks good and young.
Wynn is good dime and very good PReturner

SAFTEIES
04 = M. Lewis, B. Dawkins, Q. Mikell, J.R. Reed
05 = M. Lewis, B. Dawkins, J.R. Reed, M. Ware
06 = M. Lewis, J.R. Reed, M. Ware, 06 S Draft 2r
Comment: Looks good and young.
Reed or Ware replace Hawk in 06 maybe 07.
Very Important to sign Lewis long term.

SPECIAL TEAM
04 = Akers, Kicker --- Bartrum, Long Snapper --- Johnson, Punter
05 = Akers, Kicker --- C. Lewis, Long Snapper --- Johnson, Punter
06 = Akers, Kicker --- not sure ?, Long Snapper --- Johnson, Punter
Comment: This year J Dreessen, Colorada St. is a good TE and a long
snapper might be interesting for PSquad to develop for the
future. Johnson needs to be signed past 05

Practice Squad filled by Undrafted FA or late round Draft picks.
Get those sleepers ! Area to back up are QB, WR, DL, LB, OL, RB

And as always hide some OL and others on IR

Howard
liquid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not how it's going to play out.

OL will be a main priority especially getting a LT.

Mitchell will be here next year as he's not a FA until 2006

Ware will probably be a safety.

they need another corner for when they play teams with 4 wideouts.
PhillyTransplant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few notes:

They want Ware to be their nickel/dime corner to match up with the tall recievers they don't want to move him to safety.

Bartrum will stay as long snapper as long as he's viable and wants to but I think picking one up (the CSU guy mentioned earlier sounds viable) but more 2006's PS and step in 2007 although that could depend on CLewis and when he steps out because they want a solid veteran backup at TE and wouldn't get rid of both Bartrum and Lewis at the same time

The way they have it now, there is no way that Pinkston and Mitchell are both back next year, one if not both will be traded before Mitchell becomes whiny and AR hates that (but he sure seems to deserve a starting spot over Pinkston, even if he moves to slot in 3 receiver sets) plus they signed Lewis to step up and he will see increased time. If the salary cap hit isn't too bad or they can get something for him McMullen may get replaced by Jenkins too
[just a thought here, is Muhammed too old at 31/2? TJ (long last name from Cincy) might be a better fit and perhaps we can package a franchised Simon for him and move up in the 2nd.]

I thought Dawkins is signed until 2009 which means unless he's injured he'll probably play until 2007 or 2008.

At fullback, I love RItchie but realistically he won't be back unless Tapeh isn't healthy. Parry has shown too much to not reward him, don't be surprised if he reups longterm (4-5 yrs) next season.

At LB, they'll bring back Reese back before they bring Adams (unless the thought was salary related).

At DB, unless its pure athlete or someone falls, they won't draft here so they can give Wynn, Ware, and Reed a chance to prove which one(s) will stay. THey'll keep Mikell at least one more year so they have an experienced back up in case of an injury to 32 or 20.

Both lines will recieve at least 2 picks each in the draft with at least one first each, that's AR's method.

And I know this won't heat up until after the SUperbowl but does anyone think they won't move up at least once, if not twice during the first day of the draft?
JBlovethosebirds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:10 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few notes:

[They want Ware to be their nickel/dime corner to match up with the tall recievers they don't want to move him to safety.]

*Ware Can be backup FS in 05 and still be dime DB and in 05 draft
eagles will draft tall CB for dime and Ware will replace Dawkins in 06
at which time the hawk will be 33. Sorry to see him go. He is signed
thru 09 but contract is back loaded so eagles cut him and save money.
He know this already.*

[Bartrum will stay as long snapper as long as he's viable and wants to but I think picking one up (the CSU guy mentioned earlier sounds viable) but more 2006's PS and step in 2007 although that could depend on CLewis and when he steps out because they want a solid veteran backup at TE and wouldn't get rid of both Bartrum and Lewis at the same time]

*Barturm will be 35 next season. Sorry but Time to replace him
Chad Lewis stays and New draftee move in and is long snapper too
and Chad is backup long snapper*

The way they have it now, there is no way that Pinkston and Mitchell are both back next year, one if not both will be traded before Mitchell becomes whiny and AR hates that (but he sure seems to deserve a starting spot over Pinkston, even if he moves to slot in 3 receiver sets) plus they signed Lewis to step up and he will see increased time. If the salary cap hit isn't too bad or they can get something for him McMullen may get replaced by Jenkins too
[just a thought here, is Muhammed too old at 31/2? TJ (long last name from Cincy) might be a better fit and perhaps we can package a franchised Simon for him and move up in the 2nd.]

* I agree with you and Mitchell will be gone thats what he wants and is using the Welbourn method of talking his way out of town. He get traded.
And yes Muhammed is to old to teach new tricks as in AR system.
Can not trade Franchised players its the rules.*

I thought Dawkins is signed until 2009 which means unless he's injured he'll probably play until 2007 or 2008.

* Dawkins would be playing at 34 or 35 in those years, I do not think so*

[At fullback, I love RItchie but realistically he won't be back unless Tapeh isn't healthy. Parry has shown too much to not reward him, don't be surprised if he reups longterm (4-5 yrs) next season. ]

* Parry is already sign thru 07*

[At LB, they'll bring back Reese back before they bring Adams (unless the thought was salary related).]

I love Reese but he is getting old and looking for the last big pay check.
With all the Pub he is getting with playoffs he will get it but else where.
Adams will be back and Short will move up along with Labinjo & draftee*

At DB, unless its pure athlete or someone falls, they won't draft here so they can give Wynn, Ware, and Reed a chance to prove which one(s) will stay. THey'll keep Mikell at least one more year so they have an experienced back up in case of an injury to 32 or 20.

*Reed and Ware will have some experience in 05 season just like Lewis did when he moved in to play as a 2nd yr guy. They will draft a CB with
one of the 3rd round and he will be the 5th DB while he learns. Ware in 05 will be a backup CB and a Backup FS. Reed is backup SS, He hits !*

Both lines will recieve at least 2 picks each in the draft with at least one first each, that's AR's method.

*I agree DT gets one of the top picks and OL gets fillin at 4.
Last year if we where watching AR drafted 2 of the top 10 G/T in
Clark and Danilek. Also put Hall on PSquad all year. So, If your saying AR
has to go high for OL help then your saying he made a mistake in 04 draft
and I do not think that is right. Let the 04 OL draftee develop as AR will.*
The line is fine for 05 and 06 season.
Note all bets are off if a stud OL [like Brown] falls to him.
He will not pass on him*

[And I know this won't heat up until after the SUperbowl but does anyone think they won't move up at least once, if not twice during the first day of the draft?]

*They would like to but only at the right price. It takes two to trade.
Never know what the other teams aare thinking these days. Some will
be gun shy after the Miami trade. AR got a rep now as a thief, lol *
PhillyTransplant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Ware the backup because during the last two weeks I'm pretty sure that Reed is the one playing free safety and MIkell (or someone else they draft) is seen as the SS because Ware isn't the big hitter they want supporting the run if I remeber right.

If they resign CLewis then yeah I can agree with you about Bartrum retiring. If they don't though, he'll probably be around one more year.

If Mitchell has another game or two like last weeks he'll stay but the only person he'll play 2nd fiddle to is TO but I don't think we can move Pinkston for any thing and Mitchell could probably allow the team to move up in the 3rd (maybe 2nd) round with a team like Chicago (unless they go Mike Williams) or Baltimore or a 4th and 6th from NYJ. [You can sign and trade like with Bailey last year or Spikes the year before]

Dawkins is a fitness freak and right now doing fine as the top FS. They'll consider him at 34 but may need to restructure especially if they move him to a backup/mentor role.

Didn't know about Parry's contract thought it was 2yrs thanks.

LIke I said on the LB, they'd prefer Reese but will not go over their price (maybe add some incentives though) if he doesn't come back then they'll definately get Adams. I just think after seeing Trotter, enjying the success on the field, his long relationship with Harbaugh and the coaching staff and his off the field connections in Philly he may be willing to stay for less.

I just meant they won't draft high at DB, Lewis wasn't planned to start until this year orginally but the injury to Bishop increased his development which gave them faith in him to start in 2nd yr. I just think they'd at least bring Mikell into training camp and see how injuries, draftees, etc. go like they did with Hart this yr.

Forgot about a couple of the IR guys but AR loves big guys in the trenches and doesn't pass them up for guys (RB, WR, etc.) he feels are almost as good in later rounds. I just don't see Clark or Danilek as top flight Tackles(guards they look good). If not this year, AR will certainly draft one to go opposite Andrews for years (unless you think Hicks will move outside).

I don't think AR moves up until draft day because he wants to see who falls and get what he feels is fair price, but it's hard for me no to see him moving up 10-15 spots to get one of his guys (DT probably, maybe one seminole replacing the departing Simon, or OT) and then using the 2nd rounder(s depending on what he used to move up) on LB - depening on how people like RBrown, etc. fall he may stay put if he feels he can get a line man and a quality WR/RB with the two they have now.
JBlovethosebirds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PhillyT
Some General Comments
What do you think about this ?

1. Eagles Need Ware at CB this year and Dawkins is not ready
to retire. So, yes Reed is backup at FS and Mikell is backup at SS.
But when Dawkins is retired 06 then Reed who is a hitter will
backup Lewis and Ware will be the FS. In between the eagles
will draft a CB 05 and draft a FS 06. By 06 season they will
have great secondary and lots of depth.
In 05
RCB = Brown, Hood, Wynn
LCB = Sheppard, Ware, 05 draft pick [Bartell maybe ?]

FS = Hawkins, Ware
SS = Lewis, Reed

Dawkins contract is backended and very costly as of 06
They will not pay it and he will be 33
---------------------------
In 06
RCB = Brown, Hood, Wynn
LCB = Sheppard, 05 Draft pick - Bartell ?

FS = Ware, Reed, 06 draft pick
SS = Lewis, Reed

This group would be together a long time and
Brown would be the old man at 27 yrs in 2006
season which would be great.
PhillyTransplant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too much that I disagree with except that I think Dawkins and Mikell will play one more year wiht the Birds than you do (though I'm not sure aout cap numbers etc. from Dawks contract). The genereal flow of your transistion makes sense but it also relies on someone to help Lewis quarterback the defense (I think if Trotter comes back that he can take that role from Dawkins when he retires). Depending on who's available in the draft and health, Mikell might even stay longer and he or Reed becomes the ST ace over one of the LB (neither Reese nor Adams will be here more than 2 more seasons which means someone needs to take that role).

By the way, whats Hood's contract situation? Is there a chance that Ware or Wynn beats him out for the nickle and he's gone?
PhillyTransplant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From today's game three things came to mind looking at their roster for next year:

1. Adams will be back and if he doesn't price himself out may get a four year deal which is cool except that it almost ends Reese's stay (one year deal for him at the most)

2. Lewis will be back for at least one more year (no more than 2) because Smith isn't ready to be McNabb's safety blanket just yet -- which means JB's probably right that Bartrum is gone

3. Burgess will probably be locked up for a few years - although look for it to be written to somehow protect them against injury

Eventhough we're saying goodbye to some good guys at least we're saying it with a ring....by the way, was anyone besides Taylor and Vincent on all three NFC Championship losses and not on this one?
lastdodo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staley. maybe it was all his fault, his team is loseing again Laughing
TRUTH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: trade up picks Reply with quote

Trade our 1st round pick and our 1st, 2nd round pick (#31 and #34 overall) to about 10-20 to pick a RB because we had no running game in the super bowl. westbrook cant take 20 carries a game and dorsey levens is old, donovan mcnabb cannot throw the ball 40 times a game (well he can but he needs a run game to do that). trade up to get ronnie brown or if cedricks or carnells stock drops we can get them.
TRUTH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: trade up picks Reply with quote

Trade our 1st round pick and our 1st, 2nd round pick (#31 and #34 overall) to about 10-20 to pick a RB because we had no running game in the super bowl. westbrook cant take 20 carries a game and dorsey levens is old, donovan mcnabb cannot throw the ball 40 times a game (well he can but he needs a run game to do that). trade up to get ronnie brown or if cedricks or carnells stock drops we can get them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: