You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Redskins trade up

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will the redskins make a move in the draft?
yes they will move down
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
no they will stay put
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
yes they will move up
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

red_skins5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Will Redskins trade up Reply with quote

Every year there is a player that really blows up the combine and/or proday and the redskins try to trade up if they can last year we tried to go get CJ but we didnt have enough picks we were sucessfull in trading up for Jason after he had a great combine and pro day. So who do you guys think will blow up the combine and proday and we will try to ove up and get him. I no we should not trade up but with Dan as our owner it is not out of the question.

Some guys who I think that can do that are either Quentin Groves if he runs a 4.4 at the combine or Kenny Phillips if ge runs a 4.3 and James Hardy if he can crack the 4.4 range and Calias Cambell if he runs 4.6 range. And finally Glen Dorsey yes Glen Dorsey if he has a great combine and proday I think we might make a move for him. Dont get me wrong I dont want to trade up but with Dan as our owner a trade up is more likely then a trade down.

Your thoughts
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Redskins trade up Reply with quote

red_skins5 wrote:
Every year there is a player that really blows up the combine and/or proday and the redskins try to trade up if they can last year we tried to go get CJ but we didnt have enough picks we were sucessfull in trading up for Jason after he had a great combine and pro day. So who do you guys think will blow up the combine and proday and we will try to ove up and get him. I no we should not trade up but with Dan as our owner it is not out of the question.

Some guys who I think that can do that are either Quentin Groves if he runs a 4.4 at the combine or Kenny Phillips if ge runs a 4.3 and James Hardy if he can crack the 4.4 range and Calias Cambell if he runs 4.6 range. And finally Glen Dorsey yes Glen Dorsey if he has a great combine and proday I think we might make a move for him. Dont get me wrong I dont want to trade up but with Dan as our owner a trade up is more likely then a trade down.

Your thoughts

If we were going to trade up and go after a guy like Dorsey we would be digressing from what we all know. Trading up is going to give up quality picks for one guy. While we can get quality guys for the amount of picks that we all ready have.

Trading down on the other hand could get us more quality guys and I would be encouraged to listen to other teams wanting to get a couple of first round guys. Teams like Atlanta, Miami, St. Louis and KC maybe willing to do that. But other teams that have low round picks I would be turned off at because how does that really benefit us?

Getting a guy like Dorsey, as massive and explosive as he is, would be a boost for the team player wise. But then what about depth on the OL. We would have to give up another first day pick in order to move that far up the board. Our 1st rounder is worth 800, 2nd rounder 370, and 3rd 165. For a grand total of 1335. We would have to give our whole draft for one guy and even then the points just don't add up. So trading up for a guy of that caliber, in all seriousness, is not worth it.

Now if Miami wanted to get a guy that happen to fall to us in the first round then their 2nd and 3rd would be about right for our first. But because the chart is an "unofficial" guideline but widely used throughout the NFL in order to determine draft trade value, it would be worth their second and third rounders to move out of the first round and get 2 second rounders and 2 3rd rounders.

I just don't see trading up as a wise option for us when we all want to keep picks and get some young depth added to the OL and the defense in general.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington doesn't have enough firepower to move from #21 tp #1, where Dorsey is projected to be picked.
brandonb2621

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to keep our picks. We have a playoff type team. We should just keep getting all the young talent that we can, so that we are that much deeper in depth. We can get a soild starter in the first round, impact player in the second round, and you never know when you can get a Gem in the 3-7 rounds""Cooley".
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I'd trade up is if our hand is forced, as it was with Rocky two years ago when the run on LBs precipitated our move up to #35.

In this situation, I think the position that would force my hand would be DE. If we don't address that spot in FA, we may be in a position where we really need to add a guy at that particular position. In which case, I'd be okay with a trade up in one of two situations:

1. A certain guy just blows our socks off, and happens to still be available at a pick we can reasonably acquire. An example would be if Calais Campbell has a private workout with the team that indicates pretty clearly that he is the next Julius Peppers, and he's still available at #13. If we think he is going to be THAT good, and if he's there at a pick that won't cost us the moon, I'm okay with making a move.

2. A run on DEs leaves us in a position where we may not have ANY quality left on the board. An example would be if Long, Gholston, Campbell, etc. are all flying off the board, and it's coming up towards, say, Minnesota's pick, and Derrick Harvey is the only quality DE left on the board. I would be okay with a trade up to jump in front of another team if it meant we would avoid being stuck at a pick holding an empty bag.

But otherwise, I'd really just rather not. We need to be building depth, and from a selfish perspective, man, it's a lot more fun to talk about the draft when we actually have, you know, a couple picks to work with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell ya Iam looking so forward to this years draft. I really think we can get some soild talent with this years class. Its going to be fun with 3 picks on day 1. I can't remember the last time that has happen. I think it will be very important to draft smart this year with the the 1 2 3 round picks. We need playmakers on offense, defense, and special teams. HAIL REDKINS!!!
BuckleyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Really think they might move up to #9 because I think they would really want Sedrick Ellis because if you pair him with Anthony Montgomery it would remind me of The Williams in Minnesota,

If not then they will take either Groves or Harvey becuase I think that Campbell will be gone to either Arizona or Minnesota before he gets to our pick

Comments?
midniterc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
The only way I'd trade up is if our hand is forced, as it was with Rocky two years ago when the run on LBs precipitated our move up to #35.

As I remember, Rocky McIntosh was slated to be a fourth or fifth round pick due to his bad knees. If the Redskins would have stayed put, they probably would have been able to take McIntosh at #53. If not, then there were still other good players left on the board. Because of that trade, we missed out on a lot of quality players in the second round of the 2007 draft. That was a time in which Joe Gibbs wasted a lot of draft picks that are needed to build the team. It was the lack of a 2nd rounder in 2007 that finally taught Gibbs the need to keep picks.
brandonb2621

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a defensive lineman or pass rusher is what we need with our first as of right now. I would take a d tackle only if Griff is gone. If not then with our pick take the best pure pass rusher with that pick, because look how good NY has done with the pass rushers that they got. We need someone besides Carter. Only time will tell.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I remember, Rocky McIntosh was slated to be a fourth or fifth round pick due to his bad knees. If the Redskins would have stayed put, they probably would have been able to take McIntosh at #53. If not, then there were still other good players left on the board. Because of that trade, we missed out on a lot of quality players in the second round of the 2007 draft. That was a time in which Joe Gibbs wasted a lot of draft picks that are needed to build the team. It was the lack of a 2nd rounder in 2007 that finally taught Gibbs the need to keep picks

Agreed !!

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandonb2621 wrote:
I think a defensive lineman or pass rusher is what we need with our first as of right now. I would take a d tackle only if Griff is gone. If not then with our pick take the best pure pass rusher with that pick, because look how good NY has done with the pass rushers that they got. We need someone besides Carter. Only time will tell.

IF Gregg Williams becomes the next HC you can count on another DE coming in that is just like Philip Daniels. A big bodied run stuffer. That is what Gregg Williams likes out of his defensive line. We don't need another speed rusher like Derek Harvey. Even Lawrence Jackson.

IF we can trade down from the first into the early second then I think that we could look at Philip Merling from Clemson. If we look to address the need of a DE in FA then we should look at Justin Smith. He will probably be less expensive than guys like Terrell Suggs or Jared Allen.

If we do trade down that allows us to pick up more quality players for the OL depth and other areas that are in need of some young talent, particularly LB, WR, S, and CB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midniterc wrote:
e16bball wrote:

As I remember, Rocky McIntosh was slated to be a fourth or fifth round pick due to his bad knees. If the Redskins would have stayed put, they probably would have been able to take McIntosh at #53. If not, then there were still other good players left on the board. Because of that trade, we missed out on a lot of quality players in the second round of the 2007 draft. That was a time in which Joe Gibbs wasted a lot of draft picks that are needed to build the team. It was the lack of a 2nd rounder in 2007 that finally taught Gibbs the need to keep picks.

That's not really how I remember it.

On this site, Rocky was projected at #40 to Detroit, as he also was on NFL Draft Countdown. Mel Kiper had him being selected by the Redskins at their original #53 pick. I don't think anyone had him going in the 2nd day. Had it not been for his knee injuries, I seem to recall it being suggested he would have been a top 20 pick, and I did find one *early* mock draft where he was selected #11 overall.

In looking at the draft, LBs were taken at both #33 and #34, at which point we traded up for Rocky. Thomas Howard was taken at #38 and then another LB wasn't selected for some 30 picks. I think it's a pretty safe bet that both Rocky and Howard would have been gone by #53, and at the very least, it was quite possible. At that point we would have been left holding a bag that contained no acceptable LBs. This, of course, is the problem with going into a draft with a "need" position, as you can be at times forced into a pickle when you are looking for one position and one position only. Sometimes the talent at that position just doesn't mesh with the place where you're picking. That's why I support using FA to address DE.

Did we pay a heavy price? Heck yeah we did. We missed out on guys like Justin Blalock, Tony Ugoh, and Sidney Rice in last year's 2nd round. But I think the argument should be whether that price was worth it to get Rocky, because we probably wouldn't have gotten him if we hadn't paid it...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: