You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Next year starting DT's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOw can you say a pro bowler is not needed on the DL, all the teams that are left in the playoffs right now, have pro bowl type players on their DL.

Hello, its what we need, and why we should definelty draft a DL in round 1 and pick up a good veteran in FA also.

If you can get pressure up the middle on a QB its better than getting it on the edges, that's proven and that's why we need a DT that is going to be a pro bowl type player, but the couple of guys in this draft who are that, probably aren't going to be around when we draft.

I hope the Skins move Alexander to OL, he seems like he's been playing more there, and I think guard is more of a need, than DT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Redskins33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
I think Montgomery has one of those spots locked up. The guy was terrific in the 0 and 1 techniques this season. As long as he stays in shape and keeps progressing, he can be an impact NT for us.

At the other spot, I'm not so sure. I like Griffin, and I think he's got a year or two of pretty darn quality football left in him, but I'm not the biggest Golston fan. A guy used in the UT position playing the 3 technique needs to put up more than 1.5 sacks and 2 stuff in two seasons of play.

Moving forward, we'll need a real playmaker at that position. The value of pressure up the middle and the ability to collapse the pocket cannot be overstated. Bringing pressure off the edge is good, but when it's combined with pressure up the gut, it's devastating to an opposing passing game.

If we were to sign a DE who can pressure the QB in free agency, I might honestly be in favor of using our top pick to pick up a guy who can play the 3 technique and get into the backfield. Sedrick Ellis would be absolutely perfect for this role, but from what I understand, he'll probably be gone before our pick. But if he were to slip, I'd be all over him like stink on a dead fish.
Those are excellent points, e16. Golston has not quite delivered in this respect, although Williams seemed very pleased with him before the '07 season began. We could very well do what you mentioned--sign a DE in free agency, then use our #1 pick to take stud DT, one who can really apply pressure up the middle (i.e., a younger Cornelius Griffin, or better). It will be interesting to see which way we go. Will we sign a DE like Justin Smith in free agency and use our #1 pick on a DT? Or will we take a DE in the draft instead? I'm sure Williams has a well laid out strategy and knows exactly what to do. Of course, all of that will depend upon free agency. So, we're all going to have to hold on another 6 weeks or watch FA unfold. It should be interesting.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

As for a rusher at LE? We need a dominant LE folks. A guy who can team up with Carter to take over a game and allow us to drop back 7 on pass plays.

I agree, but that's the problem with this draft. There are a lot of quality DE's, but many are speed rushers. The others have the ideal LDE size but aren't dominate.

Whats wrong with getting a speed rusher or a LDE that does both, hello how bout Strahann or Kerney amongst others that play on the left side, just because you play over there doesn't mean you aren't supposed to get to the QB, I just would like to know where everyone is getting this idea that we are supposed to have a LDE that is almost the size of a DT...and who can basically only play the run and maybe get 3 sacks a year...why do you think this? I want 2 DE's like the giants have or seattle of the old Skins with manley and mann that used to get after the qb, scare them and make them make poor desicions it makes the rest of the D look good, I mean the Giants secondary sucks, but their DE's make them look like probowlers!

[/quote]I'm really not a fan of being stuck on a position of need, going into the draft, and taking a less-talented player at that position of need. This is the reason I'm really hoping the Skins can acquire Justin Smith. I just feel that the talent at WR, CB, LB and OL are too deep, and isn't worth passing on one of those positions in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Free agency really allows for flexibility and opens up options come draft day. I'd hate to be in a 2005 position, all over again. CB was such a need that the Redskins were going to select whatever CB (Rolle, Jones, Rogers) that fell to them. However, had CB not been such a need (Thanks Smoot!!!) the Skins could have Demarcus Ware or 'Lights Out' Merriman.[/quote]

So you are going to blame Smoot, and I gues Pierce for our defensive problems the following year after they left? I don't think it was their fault the organization wouldn't give them the few extra $ they deserved, its definelty the orgainzations fault! We didn't have to play either of these players that much more to match their offers from other teams, and we choose not to do it and get other players like Artchuleta amongst others who didn't work out for us!

It seems to me like that is the problem...just like we shuld have paid a little more for Dockery so that we could have kept our LG and would have never had to give up a draft pick for Kendell, lets face it he's probably only going tobe with us another year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Andtz0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems to me like that is the problem...just like we shuld have paid a little more for Dockery so that we could have kept our LG and would have never had to give up a draft pick for Kendell, lets face it he's probably only going tobe with us another year.

I'm glad we didn't resign Dockery. The Bills gave him A LOT of money, more than what he was worth.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: