You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2008 Hall of Fame Finalists: 3 Redskins (Green, Grimm, Monk)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: 2008 Hall of Fame Finalists: 3 Redskins (Green, Grimm, Monk) Reply with quote

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/01/green_monk_grimm_hall_of_fame.html

MODERN ERA CANDIDATES
Cris Carter, WR, Philadelphia (1987-1989), Minnesota (1990-2001), Miami (2002), 1st time finalist (1st year eligible)
Fred Dean, DE, San Diego (1975-1981), San Francisco (1981-1985), 2nd time finalist
Richard Dent, DE, Chicago (1983-1993, 1995), San Francisco (1994), Indianapolis (1996), Philadelphia (1997), 4th time finalist
Darrell Green, CB, Washington (1983-2002), 1st time finalist (1st time eligible)
Randy Gradishar, LB, Denver (1974-1983), 2nd time finalist
Russ Grimm, OG, Washington (1981-1991), 4th time finalist
Ray Guy, P, LA/Oakland Raiders (1973-1986), 7th time finalist
Bob Kuechenberg, OL, Miami (1970-1983), 7th time finalist
Randall McDaniel, OG, Minnesota (1988-1999), Tampa Bay (2000-2001), 1st time finalist
Art Monk, WR, Washington (1980-1993), NY Jets (1994), Philadelphia (1995), 8th time finalist
Andre Reed, WR, Buffalo (1985-1999), Washington (2000), 2nd time finalist
Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner (1989-2005), 2nd time finalist
Derrick Thomas, LB, Kansas City (1990-2000), 4th time finalist
Andre Tippett, LB, New England (1982-1993), 2nd time finalist
Gary Zimmerman, OT, Minnesota (1986-1992), Denver (1993-1997), 5th time finalist

SENIOR COMMITTEE NOMINEES
Marshall Goldberg, RB, Chicago Cardinals (1939-1943, 1946-1948)
Emmitt Thomas, CB, Kansas City (1966-1978)

Maximum 7 guys get in, and almost invariably the two guys from the senior committee get in. So that's 5 spots amongst the 15 modern era players. Darrell Green and Cris Carter are almost virtual locks, which means that Art Monk has no chance this year (they rarely take two players from the same team, or at the same position (except QB)), and likely Grimm and Reed wait as well.

Gradishar was last nominated in 2003 so I don't see a major push for him. On the flip side, this may be Gradishar's last year or next-to-last year of standard eligibility (25 years from when he last played). Likewise, Kuechenberg has the same issue.

I think Thomas and Tippett cut each other's votes, likewise McDaniel & Zimmerman and Dean & Dent. This all means that Tagliabue gets in. I think he should wait the five years like everyone else (will give a good chance to see if his major contribution (the recent renegotiation) was a good thing or not). However, I'm not on the committee so there we are.

If Kuechenberg and Gradishar make the cut, Guy is going to be the 8th man and wait another year.

Carter
Gradishar
Green
Kuechenberg
Tagliabue
Goldberg
Thomas

That could be your 2008 Hall of Fame class.
elkton_redskinsfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken no Corner has ever been inducted their first year eligible. I would love to see Green make it, but I doubt he will. When I was growing up you were either a Darrell Green type corner or a Deion Sanders type. Anyways this year might be the year that Art finally makes it. But if not Grimm will most likely get inducted.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellif any corner deserves it, its Darell Green he's the best corner...and arguably the best Redskin of all time...I guess there would be an argument for Sonny on that one there also...but I think Green is the best Skin of all time, when I think of the Skins I think of him and Sonny.

I think it would be great for Green and Monk to make it at the same time, I know it probably won't happen because no body respects Art Monk but they should....as Terrell Davis put it last night, Art Monk was Jerry Rice before Jerry Rice.

In other words before Jerry Rice came along Monk had most of the records for receiving, and he led his team to 3 Super Bowls, and unlike Rice he didn't have the Luxury of playing with 2 hall of fame QB's in Montana and Young, he played with 3 different QB's, all of which won't sniff the Hall of Fame I think there is something to say for that!

I mean they talk about Gibbs winning 3 superbowls with 3 QB's and how great an accomplishment that was, well Monk's accomplishments are just as great for who he had throwing him the ball during his carreer and the #'s he was still able to put up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone cares - I posted an extensive rebuttal to all the Monk haters on your post Turtle28

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=189586

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
If anyone cares - I posted an extensive rebuttal to all the Monk haters on your post Turtle28

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=189586

Shocked

Impressive research.
DomSkins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: HOF Reply with quote

I read the all the details you wrote on Monk and I'm glad to be a 'Skins fan. That type of determination to get everybody to agree that Monk needs to be in the HOF is great.
MikeT14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: HOF Reply with quote

DomSkins wrote:
I read the all the details you wrote on Monk and I'm glad to be a 'Skins fan. That type of determination to get everybody to agree that Monk needs to be in the HOF is great.

Welcome to the board DomSkins. You're going to need to adjust your avatar to fit regulations FYI.

- mike23md

D.C. Sports: Hope is fine, but believing is where we screw up.
footy_29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HOF Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
DomSkins wrote:

Welcome to the board DomSkins. You're going to need to adjust your avatar to fit regulations FYI.

lol that avatar is huge.

But looking at the other finalist there are a lot of Players that deserve to be in the hall from this group and that is prob why they are finalists. In terms of this year this is who I would pick in order from 1-15.

1 - Art Monk
2 - Fred Dean
3 - Derrick Thomas
4 - Gary Zimmerman
5 - Ray Guy
6 - Richard Dent
7 - Darrell Green
8 - Bob Kuechenberg
9 - Cris Carter
10 - Russ Grimm
11 - Andre Reed
12 - Randall McDaniel
13 - Andre Tippett
14 - Randy Gradishar
15 - Paul Tagliabue

I am not a huge fan of inducting the commissioners into the hall of fame. That's why I have Tagliabue last.

I've always loved watching Art Monk, Fred Dean, Derrick Thomas and Ray Guy. Those guys should be locks for me. If that means Grimm and Green have to wait that's ok.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, but I think Green deserves it over some of those guys....you can argue he's the best CB of all time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: