You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Al Saunders
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andtz0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, we didn't miss the playoffs, even if we didn't get very far. Step in the right direction. Very Happy

lol, I meant to say when we lost, but I'm just so used to them missing the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised we haven't seen much mentioned about Jason's development in this thread. From where I'm sitting, it would be a big negative for Jason to have to start over again in learning a new system. He's been a little slow in fully grasping Saunders's offense, it seems, and I'd hate to have to deal with a situation where he heads back to square one with a new system.

If for no other reason, I'd like to keep Saunders around because Jason seems to be *getting there* in his offense. I think once Jason masters ANY offense, he'll be terrific.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Saunders needs to stay. He runs a complex offense, and Jason is growing more and more comfortable with it. Another offseason of hard work, and I think he'll make great strides in '08. We don't need to get rid of Saunders. The problem is not with the OC, and the problem is not with Jason; the problem this year was an inadequate OL. Beef up the OL, and give Jason more time in pass protection, and clear more holes for Portis, and this offense will roll. Jason was under pressure way too much this year because of the OL's play. We need Thomas and Jansen back healthy, and two new faces on the OL in this year's draft, an OT and an OG.
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I just thought of.

I think a few of us (myself included, I believe) have said things to the effect of "Man, I wish Saunders would stay, but I just can't picture him sticking around if he gets passed over for the HC job..." I know I've thought at times that Saunders would hit the road if he feels slighted.

But he's actually under contract for next season. He signed a three year deal in 2006, which means he is under our control until the end of NEXT season. I think that the only way he could leave is if someone offered him their head coaching job, which just doesn't seem at all likely. I will offer the caveat that I have no idea if he has the option to void his contract since Gibbs left and there will be a new head coach...in that case, I suppose he could leave if he wants to, but I don't think I've heard of such a clause.

I think it will come down simply to whether we want to keep him or not. I hope they don't decide to cut him loose.

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:

I think a few of us (myself included, I believe) have said things to the effect of "Man, I wish Saunders would stay, but I just can't picture him sticking around if he gets passed over for the HC job..." I know I've thought at times that Saunders would hit the road if he feels slighted.

But he's actually under contract for next season. He signed a three year deal in 2006, which means he is under our control until the end of NEXT season. I think that the only way he could leave is if someone offered him their head coaching job, which just doesn't seem at all likely. I will offer the caveat that I have no idea if he has the option to void his contract since Gibbs left and there will be a new head coach...in that case, I suppose he could leave if he wants to, but I don't think I've heard of such a clause.

I think it will come down simply to whether we want to keep him or not. I hope they don't decide to cut him loose.

Interesting point. If he's under contract for next season, why would we cut him loose? More importantly, if Williams is the HC, why would HE cut him loose? If the Redskins choke offensively, he can blame Saunders and toss him out. If the Redskins perform like we believe they can, then he looks like a genius. From Williams' perspective, it's win-win.

As an added bonus, if he does do well next year, you can pretty much secure him as the OC for awhile since teams tend not to hire first-time coaches over the age of 60 (Saunders will be 61 in February). If not, you can go look for a young promising coach.
DaKingPin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Saunders to stay. His offense is not the problem. The problem was that Joe Gibbs didn't give him full control and he didn't open up his offense as much for Campbell as he did for Collins. When he opens up that offense and has full control you will see how good this offense could be.
Redskins33

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
e16bball wrote:

Interesting point. If he's under contract for next season, why would we cut him loose? More importantly, if Williams is the HC, why would HE cut him loose? If the Redskins choke offensively, he can blame Saunders and toss him out. If the Redskins perform like we believe they can, then he looks like a genius. From Williams' perspective, it's win-win.

As an added bonus, if he does do well next year, you can pretty much secure him as the OC for awhile since teams tend not to hire first-time coaches over the age of 60 (Saunders will be 61 in February). If not, you can go look for a young promising coach.
Excellent point, and so true. Williams should be the next head coach, and Saunders stays as OC. If the offense sputters in '08, then GW gets rid of Saunders and brings in someone else. But I have faith in Saunders. He's extremely intelligent and has always gotten results wherever he's been. Our O struggled in '06 and '07 because of things that he had no control over: Jason was learning a brand new offense in '06 and injuries plauged us in '07. We can't blame Saunders for that. I am very confident the 'Skins offense will be much better in '08.

If Snyder is smart, he will realize the quality of coaches he has in Williams and Saunders and keep them both! Now is their time to shine, now that they are out from under Gibbs' shadow. GW will get exactly what he wants: the head coaching job, while still being able to run the defense, and a very competent and capable OC in Saunders to run the O.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they get back Thomas and Jansen, or fix the OL by signing some FA and drafting some young guys, then it will make Portis that much more effective, which in turn will make Campbell more effective.

I think Saunders and his offense is fine, our problem this year was injuries on offense. Lets face it our 2 WR's were nicked up all year long and our OL was in shambles. Then Campbell got hurt.

I think Campbell learned alot watching Collins play and he'll be even better next year.

We are close on both sides of the ball to being dominant, as long as we fix our OL and DL we are there. I hope the address both of the lines in the offseason!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: