You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles Salary Cap Situation (As of Dec 10, 2007)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BatCountry!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Eagles Salary Cap Situation (As of Dec 10, 2007) Reply with quote

Peter King's SI.com Salary Cap Summary

Accoring to this latest report from Peter King, the Eagles are currently 22nd in the league with $17.12 million in cap room for the offseason, with 49 players under contract. The Titans have the most to spend with $40.85 million in room and 39 players under contract, and (big surprise) the Redskins are at the bottom with only 45 players signed and already being $20.72 million over the cap. I believe the cap figure for this coming season is $116 million.

According to an unofficial source, Jevon Kearse and Darren Howard's salary cap figures are $7.3 and $5 million respectively. So, assuming both of them are gone and we take a cap hit in dead money from cutting them (~$4 million), our cap room could be as high as $25 million. At the same time, who do we spend this money on? There aren't that many big names in free agency this season, and I don't want to overpay for players.

If indeed we do have somewhere around $25 million in cap room this offseason, I say make a run at Jared Allen. Once he's franchised, offer a 1st this year and a 3rd next year. If we cut both Kearse and Howard, we can offer him the huge contract he'll ask for (~7 years $70 million). He's the best impact player we can aquire for a playoff run next season. Then in 2008 we will part with Jon Runyan, Takeo Spikes, and Tra Thomas, who all have cap numbers of about $5 million. Because of all these expiring contracts among our veterans, we have the money to aquire whoever we want these next two seasons. It's all just a matter of if the Eagles make the moves.
phillyphanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great summary of the Eagles cap situation BatCountry!.

I agree wholeheartedly that making a run for Jared Allen would be in our best interests. If there's one player who can take our defense from 10th in the league to 1st, it's him. In my opinion, he's the best all-around defensive end in the game today without question. And if I could have my say, he'd already be a Philadelphia Eagle yesterday Wink .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillyphanatic wrote:
Great summary of the Eagles cap situation BatCountry!.

Thanks.

phillyphanatic wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly that making a run for Jared Allen would be in our best interests. If there's one player who can take our defense from 10th in the league to 1st, it's him. In my opinion, he's the best all-around defensive end in the game today without question. And if I could have my say, he'd already be a Philadelphia Eagle yesterday Wink .

He's still only 25, and he'd be a perfect LDE in this defense. If we aquire him, we don't have to address DE for the next 4 years. With our picks in the draft, we can then focus on finding a weapon on offense, help in the secondary, and possibly an OT.
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup yup yup and yup.

i'd shed a tear of joy if we got allen on board. he is definately worth a 1st. and if these numbers are right we can clearly afford it. were then a tight end and a new wide outs coach away from success !!!

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way do the eagles trade away a first round pick for any player.
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
No way do the eagles trade away a first round pick for any player.

your probably right, the FO would probably not deal a 1st rounder, but hypertheically the trade represents good value

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antwan Odom (DE) - Ten. $$$
A viable alternative to Jared Allen. An LDE with 8 sacks who is just coming into his own.

Kris Wilson (FB) - KC $
A TE converted to FB. A better pass catcher than Tapeh (not saying much, I know) he also understands blocking. He's from PA and the Chiefs will not try hard to re-sign him.

Ryan Sims (DT) - TB $$
A large DT for sure running plays and goal-line stands. Somewhat of an underachiever in his career he is more of a situational player. He may be slightly more expensive than it would appear to warrant as Tampa Bay did trade for him.

Rodney Bailey (DE) - Az. $
Can play both DE and DT. If he can lay off the cheesestaks he could be a reserve end who moves inside on passing downs (like Howard). Does have a ring with the '04 Pats.

Certainly not a glamorous bunch, but the kind of guys who fill holes and replace departing veterans.....cheaply.

Just being practical and realistic.
Broad Street Bullies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodney bailey has a ring for rehabbing an injury all season in 04
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broad Street Bullies wrote:
rodney bailey has a ring for rehabbing an injury all season in 04

Yeah, I wasn't putting any stock in that.

Another lowlight was when he was signed by Cleveland for $3M and then cut before the season. Oops!

Nonetheless, if he can keep his weight down, he could contribute as a 5th DE.
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard Berrian

I don't think he'll be that expensive, but I believe his output with a much better QB will be tremendous.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: