Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Final Cuts Made...A Few Surprises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Final Cuts Made...A Few Surprises Reply with quote

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/FF11F168740F720386257071007C38A6?OpenDocument

I was surprised Goodspeed and Parella got cut...Hedgecock has looked good but I thought Parella may have made it as a run stopper...anyone else surprised by any of the cuts???
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really surprised that Goodspeed got cut...to the extent of my knowledge...I thought he was a very good blocker. Then again, I may not have seen enough of him to make that judgement. I was also somewhat surprised Smoker got cut...I guess this means that the Harvard kid is on the team?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling Smoker was going to get the axe. Harvard has blown him away in camp and in the preseason games. He's our QB of the future if he sticks around long enough.

I was most surprised by Larry Turner. I thought he had a great preseason, and expected him to step in for McCollum when he retires. I guess the coaching staff has hopes of Incognito stepping in for him in the future. This cut leaves us with no true backup center this season. Saipaia is the do-it-all man on the O-line, so I guess he's the backup center.

I was very happy to see Mike Furrey make the team. He's one of my favorite players now. He's the epitome of the "team first" attitude.
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aheineken wrote:
I guess the coaching staff has hopes of Incognito stepping in for him in the future.

I am assuming Incognito is signed and all. He probably signed a while back, I think I missed it. Last I knew, I think I heard he was considering not signing and re-entering the draft or something like that. He's signed by now right? I'm sure I am asking a dumb question, because it was a couple weeks ago when I heard this...I'm sure a lot has happened since then.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit surprised by Turner getting cut as well, especially since Incognito is not yet signed.
aheineken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incognito is unsigned. The Rams are trying to offer him 4th round money, and his agent is having none of it. Considering that he was a 5th round prospect after his injury, and the Rams reached for him, he should just take the deal. If he reenters next year, i guarantee that he will not be a first day pick.
Halradio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also surprised the Rams kept only 5 wide outs - in the past they have had 6.

There are also 10 DBs on the roster - up from the 8 or 9 they have kept in the past. Of course looking at the number of injuries to DBs in the past few seasons this isn't overly surprising.

On the Incognito front this is proof positive its not just the big name agents that are playing fast and loose with their clients futures.

Apparently this guy wasn't paying attention to how the Rams didn't cave into Barron's agent.
BrettWolfe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping Jeff Smoker would've stayed. I thought he could be a NFL star in the future. I hope he comes to Miami. You guyz probably know our QB situation.

Dolphins Fan
aheineken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, in a way the Rams managed to keep 6 WRs and 10 DBs. Mike Furrey could be an emergency 6th WR.
Halradio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knock on Smoker was he just couldn't get the playbook down.
aheineken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
The knock on Smoker was he just couldn't get the playbook down.

Which is a big deal in Martz system. Martz doesn't really have a "playbook" that he gives everyone at camp. He has a play "filing cabinet." Every week, he picks plays out of the filing cabinet that he wants ot use in the game plan for that particular team. Then he puts them all together and gives them to his offense Monday or Tuesday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: