You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Outlook for the 2005 season.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azazaz7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Outlook for the 2005 season. Reply with quote

I think that the Steelers are on the cusp of doing something very special in the next few years if they just change a few things on both sides of the ball.

Offense:
Needs to shake off the shackles in Roethlisbergers 2nd year. Ward is an elite WR and Randle El has shown signs of getting there in the latter part of the season just past. They should be the Steelers 1-2 combination next year. Burress should be allowed to walk because he doesn't show the necessary fight in a game. He lloks great agaist poor CBs but isn't able to bully anyone worth their salt. Lee Mays can do a decent job as a #3 receiver and the Steelers would be well set at the position with Zamir Cobb coming off IR and Vincent Jackson being drafted. That would open up the possibility of a 5 WR set which could hurt most teams in the NFL.

Bettis should retire. I don't see him returning due to his high cap number. Staley can do a similar job in his place anyway. Verron Haynes should be re-signed. With Staley, Haynes and Parker the Steelers will be set at RB for another year. They could look to bring in Nehemiah Broughton of the Citadel as a URFA. He's a power back with decent speed for his size and could be a nice short yardage back.

Roethlisberger needs to vary his game a bit more. Whenever a play action pass was called he invariably looked deep. I think that's part of the reason he was picked off so much late in the year. He needs to become more steady in his pass selection and not always look to throw the deep ball. With his thumb fully healed and with some extensive studying of game film I think he'll emerge as an upper tier QB next year.

The O-Line was outstanding for most of the year. Kendall Simmons ought to be back next year and he'll replace Keydrick Vincent without any drop-off in the O-Lines play. Oliver Ross should be kept but the Steelers shouldn't offer him too much money. Max Starks is a player I'm very high on and I think he can step in and start if he has to. Hartings will stay another year but he should have his contract restructured because it isn't very cap friendly. The Steelers should add a bit of depth to the C and OT positions through the draft and/or free agency.

I don't advocate breaking from a run centred offense but the Steelers need to become a little less predictable on offense. I've no doubt they will.

Defense:
The front 7 was outstanding most of the year despite losing Haggans, Porter, Bell and Hampton for varying lengths of time. Very little needs to change on the D-Line. Some depth is needed at DE because Van Oelhoffen is getting old but that's about it. At ILB Larry Foote did a great job spelling for Kendrell Bell. Bell is now expendable. I think that James Harrison should be tried at ILB to compete with Foote. If he's beaten out of the lineup there I think he's a great player to have in the LB rotation. Alonzo Jackson should be cut and Dedrick Roper can take his roster spot. An ILB can be taken early on day 2 to offset the loss of Kendrell Bell.

Troy Polamalu improved hugely at SS this year. The only fault i see in his game is that he sometimes takes unnecessary risks. Given some good coaching that will improve significantly. Chris Hope also had a good year. He is a restricted free agent though and he may not earn more than a 2 year extension. I think the Steelers could look to draft Darnell Bing, Michael Huff or Jason Allen next year at FS. At CB the Steelers need youth. Williams will probably retire and Scott will be cut. Townsend will be 30 next year and although he's a good CB, he isn't an elite player. Ricardo Colclough showed promise but I'd fear for him as a starter next year. I think Colclough is better suited as a KR and a nickel back. In round 1 of the draft I want the Steelers to slect either Corey Webster, Carlos Rogers or Brandon Browner. Of those 3, Webster is the most likely signing.

LeBeau was a revelation on his return as DC last year. Something I think he could try next year is a 4-3 defense on occasions. Have Hampton and Hoke on the interior of the D-Line with Joey Porter and Aaron Smith at DE. Farrior could boss the field from ILB with James Harrison and Clark Haggans attacking from the outside. If the Steelers can show more versatility in their front 7, there isn't a team that can stop them.

Special Teams:
After a shaky start, Jeff Reed came on strong towards the end of the year. He deserves a 4 year extension to his contract. I think he needs to work on adding length to his kickoffs but otherwise he's a very reliable kicker. Chris Gardocki excelled at punter this year and always helped the defense by putting opponents deep in their own territory. The kick return and punt return units were above average but no more. They need to improve next year. Towards the end of the season the kick and punt coverage units faltered significantly. The Steelers need to inject a bit of speed on these units. For this reason i propose the Steelers draft Boomer Grigsby and Gerald Sensabaugh. Grigsby is a ballhawking ILB with sub 4.50 speed. Sensabaugh is a special teams standout in North Carolina who is a raw FS but can contribute immediately on the coverage units.

Overall:
The Steelers are near the top of the NFL mountain but just need to become a little bit more unpredictable, especially of offense, to push them to the summit. I have faith that Cowher can lead Pittsburgh to another championship but if the Steelers fall at the AFC championship hurdle again, he may have difficulty holding his job as HC.
blitzburgh86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we franchised Plax then traded him. How much would that hurt our cap, and do teams do that very often. I would like to see us try and get something for him.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those all sound like pretty good ideas.
The only thing left is getting a coach that can get the Steelers over the hump.
COWHER=No Super Bowl Ring!!!!

As far as Plax goes. The Steelers would have to do a sign and trade. No team would trade a signed player or a draft pick for a one year guy. Who would want a guy that could be gone the very next year. NOBODY!
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think the steelers will franchise burress and then trade him. as far as i know, thats never been done before(tagging a player then then trading him just because you want something in return), believe me i thought the same thing about ed hartwell with the ravens but it just is not a smart move for the cap and it also actually takes away from the trade value to trade a franchise player that doesnt really deserve the franchise tag because no one will want the huge salary. Im not sure of the exact numbers, but the top 5 highest paid WRs are marvin harrison, randy moss, terrell owens, joe horn, and torry holt i beleive. plaxico i definetly not worth the money that marv, randy, joe, TO and torry make. it would just be too much of a cap hit and take away from trade value at the same time. personally im hoping plax heads down here to baltimore but we will see.

by the way, congrats on the 15-1 season, i was actually hoping you guys would win it all just so its even sweeter when the ravens beat the defending champs twice next year! just kidding, but seriously, kudos to the steelers and big ben
lastdodo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been done raven... Champ Bailey last year and Peerless Price are 2 recent examples, with Price being a better example of what you are saying because Bailey really is one of the top CBs, while Price is about the same talent level as Burress, really good but not quite elite. One the one hand, Buffalo was able to get a #1 instead of nothing... But on the other hand that trade didn't work out for the falcons, and the next team might be more hesitant. Also, Price was the only WR on the market that year, whereas this year we also have Porter, Travis Taylor and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. The last 2 are a notch down, but is the marginal bump worth alot more money and a #1 pick? If there is no market, you are on the hook for something in the range of $7mill(exact number has not been determined yet). I don't know much about Pittsburgh's cap situation, but thats a mighty big albatross.
raven5255

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points, but like you said, champ bailey was deserving of the franchise tag becuase he is a top 5 CB. however the peerless price situation was different from this one. yes there were fewer options on the free agency market, but i didnt think the talent was that much worse. porter is definetly a top talent but trust me travis taylor is worthless and tj housmenzadah really didnt come on till about mid season so he is still relativley unproven and we dont really know how well he will perform without a guy like chad johnson taking double coverage on the other side. also, Price put up much better numbers than plax did this year. i know plax missed a bunch of games with injury but didnt he only have 35 catches for 600 yards and 6 TDs? while Price had around 80 catches for about 1100 yards and 9 or 10 TDs. therefore while price was not
"elite" his performance would likely put him higher than burress.
lastdodo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you underrate Travis Taylor, and I know you underrate TJ, I'm not saying they are elite, but I think either one is an option for a team who lacks a top receiving threat. Also, while Price's free agent year was better then Burress this year, Price's was an aberation, he never had anything close to that before or since, while burress' previous three years are all top end. Even at the time, there were alot of people questioning whether Price was a number 1, or if all the attention Moulds drew explained his production. But as they say, 'it only takes one.' Atlanta basically bid against themselves because they were desperate for a receiver to 'put them over the top.' Rolling Eyes I just love when teams/fans talk about 'the missing piece'. It never works. Even philly this year with TO, it wasn't 'one piece,' it was the 2 best players available in free agency (TO & Kearse) as well as the best health we have had in years, and the return of Trotter and Douglas.
raven5255

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with you on all points with the exception of travis taylor. he is a complete bust. i know first hand about how he plays. for every nice catch he makes he drops 2 easy ones. he has decent speed but cant get away from physical corners and has inconsistant hands.
superbelt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Plax will easily be the biggest fa this year IF Ward and Ben can't convince him to stay (and trust me, Plax's exit isn't a given yet)

If he goes, we definetley need to franchise him and trade him. He will get us at least a second rounder and could possibly be used to trade up into the first for Mike Williams.
SD could go for it, as they have two picks already, Carolina could, if they lose Mushin, Minnesota (if they lose Randy), Dallas or KC would all be potential trades of Plax + our late 1 to get high in the draft to grab Mike Williams.
blitzburgh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let Plax walk...............He had the nerve to say he isn't involved enough in this offense. He hasn't proven he can be trusted in this offense. Second down and goal was his time to shine and he dropped the easiest possible touchdown catch. Now, I agree we should have just ran the ball 4 times, but he wants to be our jump ball receiver and drops passes right to him and the defender had no chance for a play on the ball, forget him.

Baltimore fans beware........you don't want Plax cause he can not beat number 1 CBs. All his success here in Pittsburgh was due to the fact that we had an elite WR on the other side. He will only succedd on a team that has another quality WR.

As for Bell, i would like to see him stay but only for a resonible price. Much like 4 years ago when we got Farrior, if Earl Holmes would have signed to a resonible contract we would have never signed Farrior. If some team(like Cleveland did for Holmes) wants to pay Bell based on potential then let him go. Foote, Harrison and Roper are younger and healthier.

The few things i see that must be done are: Scott, Hartings and Kimo must either restructure or be cut. Hartings would be a tough loss but there was once talk of Simmons playing center and then we resign Vincent. The draft could fill Kimo's spot, but Brent Keisel would be formidable. Much like Hoke before this year, Kiesel is very talented but has yet to get his chance. Scott is already replaced.
We must give Ward an extension so we don't have to deal with him being unresticted next year along with Randle El. Ward, Randle El and Mays are a perfect trio for the Steelers offense. Bettis will and probaly should retire thus making Veron Haynes a must to resign.

All that will leave the team with virtually no drop-off in production from last season without even considering what could be gained via the draft.
Canada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burress is out looking to make a name for himself.
He needs the glory.
Hope he can find a Pass Happy Offense that caters to his needs.

Poor ol Plaxxy doesn't like to play for a team that came off a 15-1 regular season and one game away from the SB.

That says it all for me.

Let him go.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

believe it or not, i actually think the Steelers will have a down year next year... im thinkin from the 6-10 to the 8-8 range. have you even looked at their schedule? its crazy...

Home Games
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Chicago
Detroit
New England

Road Games
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Houston
Indianapolis
Green Bay
Minnesota
San Diego

from their Home Schedule, i say they win 6, maybe 7 games (losses are to New England, Jacksonville & maybe the Ravens). from their Road Schedule, i say they win about 2, maybe 3 (only wins are Bengals, Browns & maybe the Ravens)... that gives em 8 wins maybe 10 if they can raise their level of play. they might even have a tough time beating Cincinnati. it's gonna be very tough next year for the Steelers, considering they're probably gonna lose Burress and Bell. only bright spot is the draft, and maybe they can trade outta the 1st round, get an additional 2nd rounder and a 1st rounder next year. oh well, theres always 2 years from now lol. and thats a Steeler fan sayin their gonna be not as good as this year, at least i can deal with reality.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
Shooters

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
believe it or not, i actually think the Steelers will have a down year next year... im thinkin from the 6-10 to the 8-8 range. have you even looked at their schedule? its crazy...

Home Games
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Chicago
Detroit
New England

Road Games
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Houston
Indianapolis
Green Bay
Minnesota
San Diego

from their Home Schedule, i say they win 6, maybe 7 games (losses are to New England, Jacksonville & maybe the Ravens). from their Road Schedule, i say they win about 2, maybe 3 (only wins are Bengals, Browns & maybe the Ravens)... that gives em 8 wins maybe 10 if they can raise their level of play. they might even have a tough time beating Cincinnati. it's gonna be very tough next year for the Steelers, considering they're probably gonna lose Burress and Bell. only bright spot is the draft, and maybe they can trade outta the 1st round, get an additional 2nd rounder and a 1st rounder next year. oh well, theres always 2 years from now lol. and thats a Steeler fan sayin their gonna be not as good as this year, at least i can deal with reality.

This post had more validity a year ago.

The schedule doesn't come out for a few onths yet for one thing. The other, more important part, is these teams will all be in some sort of transition. Within our devision there will be change, as in every year. There is talk of Rudi being let go by Cincy and going with untested Perry at HB. Baltimore is looking at FA to rebuild it's offense around Kyle Boller. Cleveland has a new coach and a bunch of questions.

Tennessee may lose guys like Mason due to salary cap issues. Minnesota without Moss is a different animal IMO. The rest of the division is not that great on paper right now.

Way too early to tell what the Steelers will do with regard to next year's schedule.
Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teams rise and fall quickly in Today's NFL. (except NE...sheesh)
Having a Salary Cap dictates it.

I watched the Carolina Panthers go from 1-15 and in 2 years went to the SB.

Who knows what is going to happen.
blitzburgh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now the onlt 2 tough games on our schedule for next year are NE at home and Indy on the carpet. They can find anyone to drop passes and complain like Plax did. Bell didn't provide anything other then a distraction all year. I wouldn't be surprised to seethe Steelers go after the kid from Arkansas who used to play QB or even the more local kid Marshall from WVU. The Steelers have had a lot of sucess converting former college QBs into WRs. Kordell, Ward, Randle El. The kid from Arkansas is 6'5" just as Plax was. Maybe not as gifted naturally but if he can learn to use his body to box out would be a prime target for jump balls in the end zone. I would also like to see them work Chevy Troutman out as a possible TE next year. If he can atleast catch, at 6'9" he would be beast in the Red Zone.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: