Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DE Prospects
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When should the Eagle's look to draft a DE?
Day 1 (rounds 1 and 2)
61%
 61%  [ 13 ]
Mid-rounds (3-5)
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Late rounds (6 and 7)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They don't need to draft one
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Depends on if a top prospect should fall
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

CandylandBills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: DE Prospects Reply with quote

DE prospects in next year draft. I’m doing this to maybe break the monotony of posting about Donovan McNabb trade. Also I would like to move on to WR next so if any wants to help I would appreciate it.

I have compiled the list of players I have seen. This list probably won’t match many of the other list that experts have—mostly since I haven’t seen all these guys play. Feel free to add to these list or add a new list of a different position.

Why DE? I feel Howard and Kearse will probably be gone next year, leaving the Eagles with 3 legit DE (JT, Cole, and Abiamiri). JT is actually an older player, so the Eagles will probably try to infuse this position with some youth (unless they decide to do it through FA).

1. Chris Long- UVA- To be honest I haven’t really seen Long play too much, but the Maryland game made me convince of his skill set. Long not only is extremely talented, but he also brings leadership and is rah-rah guy which the Eagles D desperately needs once Dawkins is gone.

2. Vernon Gholston-OSU- I was so impressed by him during the UM game. He pretty much dominated the game, in the process making Jake Long look a little slow of foot. The most impressive thing about Gholston was OSU was able to move him along the line and he was just as dominate where ever he was.

3. George Selvie- USF- Selvie will probably stay another year being a red-shirt sophomore. But if he comes out I think the Eagles would have a tough time passing on a talent like that. I truly believe that Selvie can come into the league and have the same impact Jevon Kearse did when he came into the league—playing extremely similar playing styles. With Selvie and Cole, the Eagles might have the two best bookend speed rusher over Freeney and Mathis.

4. Chris Ellis-VT- I became a fan of Ellis after he completely destroyed Gosder Cherilus of Boston College. Not only did he beat Cherilus with the speed rush but also with the bull rush. I do notice a lot of people putting him in their mock drafts, although I think they are severely undervaluing his stock—I would say at least 3rd if not 2nd round for Ellis.

Other big names and my thoughts:

Calais Campbell-Miami- I have been a little harsh I think on Campbell, who has been more impressive to me than Phillips. Campbell definitely has the size to impress at 6’8 282 lbs, and some speed off the line—he looks and sounds like a perfect prospect. The problem I have with Campbell is his lack of dominance. Sure he is on a lot of tackles, but much of the tackles he makes are after the runner has 3-4 yards. He also is not an elite pass rusher with all his ability.

Tyson Jackson-LSU- I have seen 3-4 LSU games this year and Jackson really hasn’t stood out to me that greatly—like Campbell he possesses great size and athleticism to go along with being paired with one of the best DT in the nation. I watched the Alabama, and continually the announcers would say “Les Miles likes the mismatch of Tyson Jackson versus this no-name tackle.” And for the majority of the game the tackle for Alabama held Jackson in check. When Jackson did beat him you could tell he was a far superior athlete, and should beat him every time (like Les Miles thought). This throws up a red flag for me in thinking Jackson has horrible motor, one of the biggest flaws in D-lineman in my opinion.

Lawrence Jackson-USC-No real point in drafting him. He reminds me of another former USC alum in Udeze of the Vikings. Where he is more of a run defending DE, without much ability to rush the passer.

I know this isn’t a real in depth look at the prospects because most of these guys are ranked highly, but these are the guys I have seen play and I feel I have seen enough of to form educated opinions on them.

Like I said feel free to add names and critique my analysis.

Some players I would love to read analysis on is: Derrick Harvey (only saw him during the NC game), Darrell Robertson (I’m looking for BatCountry here), Jeremy Thompson (I only saw him play a little but was impressed), or any late round sleeper (Birds I view you can usually come up with a few of these).

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I will say, is that we better either bring some young talent early in the draft, or through the market. This position will only have two ends, who are under 30 years of age. Cole and Abiamiri.

Since we missed out on Murrell, and McDougal/Kease/Howard all are unfortunately unproductive, we need to start building that position, once again.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, we should go DE with our first pick, I have a feeling we are going to trade down again though, so in the 2nd we get a solid guy like Lawrence Jackson or Tyson Jackson.

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaglesfan536890 wrote:
IMO, we should go DE with our first pick, I have a feeling we are going to trade down again though, so in the 2nd we get a solid guy like Lawrence Jackson or Tyson Jackson.

Trading down might actually be a good idea this year...
And if we trade McNabb (just saying) we could have a plight of early picks to work with.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
ok go26

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
The only thing I will say, is that we better either bring some young talent early in the draft, or through the market. This position will only have two ends, who are under 30 years of age. Cole and Abiamiri.

Since we missed out on Murrell, and McDougal/Kease/Howard all are unfortunately unproductive, we need to start building that position, once again.

Heh, glad to see my little DE campaign from last year rubbed off on you ('course, it's probably actually just of your own accord). Still, I remember making that same stupid argument about 80 to 100 times last year.

"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
Phire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok go26 wrote:
Phire wrote:

Heh, glad to see my little DE campaign from last year rubbed off on you ('course, it's probably actually just of your own accord). Still, I remember making that same stupid argument about 80 to 100 times last year.

Yeah, I specifically remember you and I think phillyphanatic fighting for DE's.

I'm guessing that's your stance once again this year.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
ok go26

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:

It was more just a stance against a lot of the people laughing off the possibility of a first-day DE, on account of we didn't need one. I just had to make the argument so many times that it kind of became my campaign for the year.

As for this year, I haven't seen enough to pick a stance yet. But, I mean, we do definitely need a DE.

"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
CandylandBills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok go26 wrote:
Phire wrote:

It was more just a stance against a lot of the people laughing off the possibility of a first-day DE, on account of we didn't need one. I just had to make the argument so many times that it kind of became my campaign for the year.

As for this year, I haven't seen enough to pick a stance yet. But, I mean, we do definitely need a DE.

For actually decent highlights of Selvie go to this site:
http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=216901

Below his picture there headline that says GoUSFBulls.com Video. There are a few quality videos (the ESPN one has a bunch of game clips).

I'll try and get videos of other prospects.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I don't like Selive, Harvey, Ghoslton and Groves, is because they are 3-4 DE's, would they be able to adjust to a 4-3 D? I mean, it doesn't seem hard, I just never saw it before, then again, I've only been watching football for a year....

ryknowssd on the sig
Eagles27

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE is a huge need for us.

We have little to no depth and we need young players that can stop the run and more importantly rush the passer. I like Abiamiri on situational run plays but I don't see a big pass rush coming from him.

BTW I like Selive but I believe he will be a 3-4 OLB like eaglesfan536890 said.

He'll be gone by time we pick but I'm hoping for Chris Long.

#JDI
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles27 wrote:
I'm hoping for Chris Long.

That would be amazing, him or Campbell would be awesome!

ryknowssd on the sig
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a DE with our first pick. Anyone that won;t bust would be cool.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY ONE!
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
Eagles $5$

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrick Harvey or Calais Campbell would be nice in the 1st round. They are both great pass-rusher that I think will be available when the Eagles pick in the 1st round.

TommyC376 on the Sig
Broad Street Bullies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's more important needs that DE. i'd rather see rounds 3-5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: