Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vernon Gholston
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gangreen7788

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Vernon Gholston Reply with quote

For anyone not watching today's Michigan OSU game, Gholston has three sacks (one matched up one on one vs Jake Long forcing Long's first allowed sack of the year). Gholston has been nothing short of game changing, and has made several good plays when they dropped him back into coverage to confuse Henne. Crable, on the Michigan side, has been fairly quiet, not really making his presence felt. While this is the most extensive look I have goten at GHolston I have been throroughly impressed with his speed off the edge and ability to shed blocks. I want Gholston, be it at the top of round two or even if we pick somewhere around 29 (from Dallas maybe?) I think I may like him more than Harvey, he has more upside than Crable based on this game, and for me at least is close to Groves.

Escobar.8 on the sick sig
Davey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way you can think after what he's doing today and then with his likely combine performances he's going to be a "steal in the second round". He's going to be a top 20 pick. Count on it.
gangreen7788

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
There's no way you can think after what he's doing today and then with his likely combine performances he's going to be a "steal in the second round". He's going to be a top 20 pick. Count on it.

Im not sayin that i think he ll be there in the second round, but thats where hes been projected thus far. I think personally he goes after Harvin and around the same time as Groves when all is said and done. regardeless the point is that im very impressed with his play, both pass rushing and in coverage which was a concern that had been expressed earlier

Escobar.8 on the sick sig
BigBen7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a straight up beast. Teams are going to love him purely off his combine numbers and physic.

Yes those are tree trunks connected to his shoulders Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that size he'll definetly be looked as a 4-3 DE. He's top 15 material after the combine. His numbers, physique, production, combine, versatility, value, you name it, will land him that high.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with his strength and burst off the snap he would be an absolute MONSTER in the 3-4 at OLB.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see him finally getting some recognition. I brought up his name about a month ago. The question will be if he comes out early.

Mack on the Sig
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY_Jets87 wrote:
I am glad to see him finally getting some recognition. I brought up his name about a month ago. The question will be if he comes out early.

He was my favorite going into the season until I saw George Selvie.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
NY_Jets87 wrote:

He was my favorite going into the season until I saw George Selvie.

I know i finally go to see some of his game tape he is damn good. I also like Chris Ellis from Va Tech. Selvie won't come out though I don't think. If Selvie, Harvey and Gholston come out early. the 1st 2 rounds hold these options for us at olb.

Groves, Gholston, Selvie, Harvey, Crable, Ellis Shocked Shocked

Mack on the Sig
Gang_Green03

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me if Gholston is as good against the run as his arms would lead you to believe? If so, then he just moved up significantly on my list.

I heard critisism that he only got stats against weaker competition but Long is the best competition he could've faced so I'm impressed.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based upon his performance all season long combined with his game yesterday, there can be no more questions about Gholston.

In my mind, he just put himself with Groves as the two top tweeners in the draft and a case could be made for him right now being the best. Like everyone else, I've seen him play alot but questioned the competition. But he beat down several very good Michigan offensive lineman. He rushed the passer, played the run and even moved to LB on a few plays and dropped into coverage. Very impressive.

Crable, on the other hand, seems to have taken himself out of the conversation. I was back and forth on him this season from what I'd seen so far and against Ohio State he wasn't very stout at the point of attack and missed some tackles.

- Cliff Burton
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/17/nfl-draft-ohio-state-de-vernon-gholston-made-millions-vs-michi/

New York Sack Exchange Redux
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBen7 wrote:
He's a straight up beast. Teams are going to love him purely off his combine numbers and physic.

Yes those are tree trunks connected to his shoulders Shocked

Gholston on D, Jones on O. That's a lot of beefcake.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
tipceey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea he's really finishing off the season big after a bad start....he has to be on roids though because his arms are unreal...they put TJ to shame

NETS
Giants
Jets
Mets

Manning > Romo wrote:
WTF!
Did every DB on our team turn into Braylan Edwerds?
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tipceey wrote:
yea he's really finishing off the season big after a bad start....he has to be on roids though because his arms are unreal...they put TJ to shame

I heard he was injured and just worked out every waking moment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: